LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

With the 49th pick in the 2010 NFL draft...

Mays should be converted to OLB

Great Mays vid:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d817803fd/2010-Draft-Vignettes-Taylor-Mays-USC
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Porky_Pig:
I have loved all our draft picks so far, but I cannot get behind this one. Mays is a fast version of Roy Williams. No coverage skills and he doesn't wrap up well at all. I'm very disappointed.

I dont understand, he was drafted in the 2nd round, he can play football... all the things he needs to learn can be taught so whats the problem? Have him play a year or two behind Lewis and he should tear it up. He's a smart kid.

I like this pick, I think Mays has what it takes to play in this league.
He's a f**king monster.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Like Sing said, at USC they had him 20 yards back and just told him to play. He said they like him closer to the line of scrimmage so he can use his skills.
  • lynwood49ers
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by mike9er:
Originally posted by mayo63:
You can teach him how to wrap up, but he's got something you can't teach - SPEED!

can you teach ball hawk skills??

We have Dashon for that Mays will be a SS....
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mike9er:
Originally posted by mayo63:
You can teach him how to wrap up, but he's got something you can't teach - SPEED!

can you teach ball hawk skills??

Yeah, Mays projects as a SS. Sing said he doesn't know what he is yet. They'll coach him up and then make a decision.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Apr 23, 2010 at 8:29 PM ]
Mays, Wills, Spikes, Smith this D is going to be INTENSE....I have a good feeling about the way this team is headed, Singeltary is imposing his mindset on this team and they will hit until they can't hit no mo!
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I like Mays as long as we aren't gonna be putting him in too many coverage situations. Let him help a CB double up a receiver or just lay the wood. Mays is gonna do some damage week 1 up in Seattle
lets hope these superstars can develop some chemistry and get some more rings. Whole lot of talent to work with. Smith ,Sing,Oline ....Nobody has ANY excuses . bout time we got some talent to put behind WILLIS..There is good reason for the niners to have the hype. We got better on O and D and special teams ,were young driven and coming up!!
I was not a Mays supporter for the last 2 years, but now he's a Niner, and a 2nd rounder not a 1st, he's my boy!

I just hope he does some Tard decapitating next year... first up, Fitz!!!!

Originally posted by de_cleater_52:
Mays, Wills, Spikes, Smith this D is going to be INTENSE....I have a good feeling about the way this team is headed, Singeltary is imposing his mindset on this team and they will hit until they can't hit no mo!

Now get Shawn Merriman...
Unofficial 4.24

"size and speed, size of OLB with closing speed of a CB, ferocious hitter, plays with reckless abandon, good range, smart and diagnoses plays well, gets leggy in space
"

He looks like a SS in our scheme, he should be a good fit.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Here's what SI.com's Ross Tucker said about Mays.

Quote:
Mays is an athletic freak of nature who produced eye-popping numbers during the physical portion of the NFL combine. His play-making skills have been called into question, which is why he fell to this point, but he could ultimately team with emerging star Dashon Goldson to give the 49ers the most dynamic young safety duo in the league.
There's alot of unknown about Mays, and Sing indicated as much, because of the way he was coached and used at USC.

At the very least in the worst case, he can probably do everything that Mike Lewis does for us now for another 5 years or so after Lewis is gone because of salary/injury concerns.

Yeah I think most of us would've preferred Nate Allen, but we simply didn't have enough ammo to trade up and get him. I'm satisfied with Mays and excited to see if he can be coached up into something more than a strictly in-the-box safety.
Share 49ersWebzone