LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

With the 49th pick in the 2010 NFL draft...

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo63:
Here's what SI.com's Ross Tucker said about Mays.

Quote:
Mays is an athletic freak of nature who produced eye-popping numbers during the physical portion of the NFL combine. His play-making skills have been called into question, which is why he fell to this point, but he could ultimately team with emerging star Dashon Goldson to give the 49ers the most dynamic young safety duo in the league.

I see Mays as the defensive version of Vernon Davis when he was drafted. Has it all physically, i say he is solid his rookie year, will make mistakes but will also show promise. However in 2-3 years dude could be pro-bowl material
we really dont have much to loose as he is an obvious upgrade at the position and does match our system well.. Its a win win . I think our team and system will turn mays into a better player than SEA does Thomas..
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Quote:
Mays is an athletic freak of nature who produced eye-popping numbers during the physical portion of the NFL combine. His play-making skills have been called into question, which is why he fell to this point, but he could ultimately team with emerging star Dashon Goldson to give the 49ers the most dynamic young safety duo in the league.

I see Mays as the defensive version of Vernon Davis when he was drafted. Has it all physically, i say he is solid his rookie year, will make mistakes but will also show promise. However in 2-3 years dude could be pro-bowl material

I agree, the athletic potential is there for Mays to be an Adrian Wilson-type of player in the secondary...there's no doubt about that. But does he really have the football instincts that you need to be that type of player, and if he doesn't can you teach someone those things?

I don't think you can. I hope he proves everyone wrong because I like him, and his dad works for the same company that I do (so selfishly, I like Mays on a personal level), but I have my doubts as a football player.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Quote:

I agree, the athletic potential is there for Mays to be an Adrian Wilson-type of player in the secondary...there's no doubt about that. But does he really have the football instincts that you need to be that type of player, and if he doesn't can you teach someone those things?

I don't think you can. I hope he proves everyone wrong because I like him, and his dad works for the same company that I do (so selfishly, I like Mays on a personal level), but I have my doubts as a football player.

I think at the worst he can turn into a player like our very own Michael Lewis. A guy who is awesome in run support, can be a good blitzer, can struggle in pass coverage but would rarely have to cover a guy one on one
Originally posted by mike9er:
You can teach him how to wrap up, but he's got something you can't teach - SPEED!

can you teach ball hawk skills??

Yes, actually I think you can.

If you listen to what some evaluators are saying about Mays, several of them have pointed to the fact that Mays was asked to be the enforcer of the Trojans defense. He was not taught to play the ball, he was taught to KILL people.

I don't think these players have the position coaching that they will get in the NFL. I expect him to get coached to learn to play the ball.

As other posters have said here, Mays has the one thing we can not teach; SPEED.
Because his stock fell so drasticly I think young Tay Mayniac is comin to Frisco with a big chip on his shoulder more so than if he was 1st round. Now that Vernon has graduated from Sing State I thinks its time for Sing to again mold a fabulous raw clay to his liking
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Unofficial 4.24

shows him ahead of holliday and best and a step behind ford...kid can flat out fly
[ Edited by Thorhawk on Apr 23, 2010 at 9:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Unofficial 4.24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDhYKZHKh4Q

shows him ahead of holliday and best and a step behind ford...kid can flat out fly

SPEED BABY!!!!
  • 49erFanOrlandoFl
  • Info N/A

Quote:

I think at the worst he can turn into a player like our very own Michael Lewis. A guy who is awesome in run support, can be a good blitzer, can struggle in pass coverage but would rarely have to cover a guy one on one

Je appeard to be the Suped version of Lewis He will be able to make big plays just on his physical abilities alone The secondary just got much faster...Too bad he cant cover for sh#t
  • dman
  • Veteran
Im thinkin he could also lineup as an OLB in the 3-4 in certain situations.

Originally posted by dman:

Probably not OLB, but he could play a nickel safety (when Spikes goes out) and cover a TE in certain formations. He'd be a perfect matchup there from a size/speed standpoint.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 23, 2010 at 9:52 PM ]
  • 49erFanOrlandoFl
  • Info N/A
Actually Mays did say he could be playing some LB
  • dman
  • Veteran

Probably not OLB, but he could play a nickel safety (when Spikes goes out) and cover a TE in certain formations. He'd be a perfect matchup there from a size/speed standpoint.

Ya he could play as sort of that 3rd safety.

Im just looking forward to seeing him blitz.

Ya he could play as sort of that 3rd safety.

Im just looking forward to seeing him blitz.

He'll definitely be blitzing from that safety spot...especially against Seattle.
After hearing his interview with Ralph and Tom, I'm doing a complete 180 on Mays. Dude was asked about his wrapping up and dude flat out said he was told to kill people, not wrap up. He also broke it down by saying he had 40 more tackles than last year and since you are in a situation to make more tackles, then you will miss more. Those numbers right there pretty much show that he was asked to do something other than playing the ball.

A final tidbit about this interview which Mays aced: he said take a look at the Senior Bowl practice and game. He was taught by the NFL DB coach during the week to make a play on the ball, not the player and he got an INT in practice and in a game.

Taylor Mays could be Adrian Wilson. ARI used that guy everywhere and he killed us when he blitzed our QB from the slot. Then they had him on Vernon and he did a very good job.

More positives:
1. Vastly speeds up our defense. Now we have a super fast guy at every level: Manny, Willis, and Mays

2. Between Mays, Goldson, and Willis, I would hate to be a WR against this defense.

3. Maybe he can lure in Ronnie Lott as an assistant DB coach....booyah!

PS: Pete Carol is a douche for doing that to him: telling him he's his guy and then nabbing a different FS.
[ Edited by Joecool on Apr 23, 2010 at 11:33 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone