LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 431 users in the forums

Browns have talked to the Rams..

about trading up to number 1 to take Bradford

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns general manager Tom Heckert says the team has had talks with the St. Louis Rams about moving up in the NFL draft to take quarterback Sam Bradford with the No. 1 overall pick.

Heckert on Thursday said the Browns, who have the No. 7 pick, have been "'playing a little phone tag" but said they have talked with the Rams, who are expected to select the Oklahoma quarterback.

Browns president Mike Holmgren warned that dealing for Bradford could be difficult, saying "you'd have to mortgage the ranch. In the real world, we're probably going to go in a different direction."

Currently owning 10 picks, Cleveland could put together an attractive package of picks to move up.

Bradford did not visit the Browns, but the team attended his pro day workout.

That could be interesting if that happened
interesting indeed.
It could, but IMO only if the rams love Clausen.

Then the rams take bradford and the browns take clausen and they do a swap with a few extra picks thrown in. But I don't think it will happen, it rarely does.
Originally posted by Yoda_I_Be:

Then the rams take bradford and the browns take clausen and they do a swap with a few extra picks thrown in. But I don't think it will happen, it rarely does.

Id rather see Clausen 2 times a year, than Bradford 2 times a year.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

This
do it
  • evil
  • Veteran

Not so fast, if they really like McCoy they could pick him up at the top of the 2nd and still land a pass rusher like Morgan, a DB like Berry or Haden or a WR like Bryant at 7.
I'd do it if I were the Rams.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Not so fast, if they really like McCoy they could pick him up at the top of the 2nd and still land a pass rusher like Morgan, a DB like Berry or Haden or a WR like Bryant at 7.

I agree IF the Rams were to do this i think they would go after Mccoy in the 2nd or even Tebow and use the 1st rounder on the guys you mentioned
This is a good move by the Rams as Clausen is far superior QB to Bradford

Holmgren sucked as a GM for Seattle so it's no surprise he likes Bradford better.

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

I agree IF the Rams were to do this i think they would go after Mccoy in the 2nd or even Tebow and use the 1st rounder on the guys you mentioned

I don't think they rule out Clausen all together but I think they then look at how far apart are Clausen and McCoy as prospects and unless they like Clausen a lot more than McCoy then they wait till #33 for the QB.
Originally posted by valrod33:

I don't think they rule out Clausen all together but I think they then look at how far apart are Clausen and McCoy as prospects and unless they like Clausen a lot more than McCoy then they wait till #33 for the QB.

IMO if they do this trade i think it does rule of Claussen just because of the fact the pay would be pretty close to Bradford cuz QBs are usually paid out of slot in the draft(Sanchez last year). So if they wanted Claussen just take him number 1 instead of...i forget what pick the browns is.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I know this doesn't follow the draft chart, but would you make this trade if you were Rams or Redskins?

Rams get Washington #4 overall pick, Cleveland 3rd rounder
Washington gets #7 overall pick (I think that is Cleveland's first rounder), Cleveland 4th and 5th rounds
Cleveland gets #1 Overall pick

Personally, I think the draft chart is too extreme right now, especially when you factor in rookie salaries at the top. This trade would ensure that Rams can still draft Clausen. Washington might like this trade if they aren't enamored with anyone at #4. Apparently they like Trent Williams over Okung, and he would be available later than the 4th pick.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

I'd rather the 9ers be good enough that we win those Seattle games even no matter who the QB is.

Maybe, but I think it would be some serious gambling on their part to assume Colt McCoy would make it to the 2nd round. He very well could make it but if the Vikings take him (which makes perfect sense in my head) they'd be stuck drafting Tebow in the 2nd. Because of that, I'd be pretty surprised if they passed on Bradford and Clausen.
Share 49ersWebzone