LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 243 users in the forums

Screw it! We should just completely fix the O line in the first round

F**k it guys, we should just draft o lineman with the first round picks we have.

1) T. Williams/B. Campbell (one of those guys should be around)

1b) Mike Iutipati

I always said we need an RT first and foremost. Then initially I wanted a playmaker on either side of the ball or a pass rusher. But now looking at it, we should just rebuild our O line for the next 8-10 years and not have to worry about protection. I only give Alex Smith this one last year to prove himself. If that doesn't pan out, we at least have the option to draft a qb next year and be in position to let him play rookie year. That's why the jets didn't do that bad with mark sanchez cause they had the o line to protect him and give him room for error.

The other good thing is that we have rounds 2-5, maybe 6 to fill our needs and whatnot. Believe it or not, we are in a good enough space with the draft that we can instantly become a playoff team. I'm not saying these rookies will be saving grace, but at least there won't be too much drop off with the team we currently have on the roster.

Lets kick some animal ass this year (Cards, Hawks, Rams)!!
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Im down.
Perhaps you need to pick up a book called, the Winning Edge by Bill Walsh. Please read the section on key positions to use high draft picks on.

1. Franchise QB
2. Pass Rusher
3. LT
4. Shut down corner.

Also please see how Steve Hutchinson did not help the Vikings run game. Adrian Peterson made the run game go for Minnesota.

That being said, RT is a priority, so BPA at 13 and the OT from USC at 17, Charles Brown.

Mayock has Iupate as the 2nd best guard, and he sucked it up at the Senior Bowl.
Yep. That would do for me. O line sorted, for the most part, for a decade! And O lines get better as they play together. I don't think we know the strengths and weaknesses of the rest of our O until the line is sorted.

And, by the way, I know that with two rookies the line will struggle this year although I would start Sims and not the rookie tackle for at least half a season. But I love to see a strong line, everything else just flows from it.
How many of these do we need?
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
How many of these do we need?

Quit hatin'!
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
Perhaps you need to pick up a book called, the Winning Edge by Bill Walsh. Please read the section on key positions to use high draft picks on.

1. Franchise QB
2. Pass Rusher
3. LT
4. Shut down corner.

Also please see how Steve Hutchinson did not help the Vikings run game. Adrian Peterson made the run game go for Minnesota.

That being said, RT is a priority, so BPA at 13 and the OT from USC at 17, Charles Brown.

Mayock has Iupate as the 2nd best guard, and he sucked it up at the Senior Bowl.

Walsh was a great coach, but that is one mans opinion. If it was that easy, every team would draft according to that book.

We have used high picks on a Non franchise QB, TE, MLB, WR, OLB(That is not a great pass rusher, LT, and DE/DT.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'm with you, Frisc. I'd love to go OT and Iupati in the first round, but we'll just have to wait and see if it really happens.
I'm down with spending one of our 1st round picks on a tackle but would rather get a pass rusher with the 2nd 1st rounder.

We don't need two tackles in this draft having Staley, who I believe could be swithched to the RT spot depending on the guy we draft.

We can pickup a starting guard in rounds 2-3, which will solidify the line for your 8 years.
It might not be a terrible idea to do 2 first rounders on O Linemen. The Jets did it one year and look where it got them. To the AFC Championship game. It's by far not the worst way to go.

However I doubt the 49ers will do it. They may go Defense with one or both picks. They also may take a skill position speed player like Spiller. I seriously doubt they take 2 O Linemen. But it wouldn't make me mad if they did.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It might not be a terrible idea to do 2 first rounders on O Linemen. The Jets did it one year and look where it got them. To the AFC Championship game. It's by far not the worst way to go.

However I doubt the 49ers will do it. They may go Defense with one or both picks. They also may take a skill position speed player like Spiller. I seriously doubt they take 2 O Linemen. But it wouldn't make me mad if they did.

this
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FriscoKid2200:
F**k it guys, we should just draft o lineman with the first round picks we have.

1) T. Williams/B. Campbell (one of those guys should be around)

1b) Mike Iutipati

I always said we need an RT first and foremost. Then initially I wanted a playmaker on either side of the ball or a pass rusher. But now looking at it, we should just rebuild our O line for the next 8-10 years and not have to worry about protection. I only give Alex Smith this one last year to prove himself. If that doesn't pan out, we at least have the option to draft a qb next year and be in position to let him play rookie year. That's why the jets didn't do that bad with mark sanchez cause they had the o line to protect him and give him room for error.

The other good thing is that we have rounds 2-5, maybe 6 to fill our needs and whatnot. Believe it or not, we are in a good enough space with the draft that we can instantly become a playoff team. I'm not saying these rookies will be saving grace, but at least there won't be too much drop off with the team we currently have on the roster.

Lets kick some animal ass this year (Cards, Hawks, Rams)!!

[ Edited by fan49 on Mar 29, 2010 at 14:33:36 ]
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Be great, but Williams will be gone. Maybe Davis is still there, most likely Brown will be the only one left. Half the teams in front of us need OT.
Bruce Campbell, no way at 13. Trent Williams is a no brainer at 13.

Iupati or Charles Brown at 17, MAYBE
agreed 100%
Share 49ersWebzone