LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 244 users in the forums

Screw it! We should just completely fix the O line in the first round

Originally posted by 9erred:
Perhaps you need to pick up a book called, the Winning Edge by Bill Walsh. Please read the section on key positions to use high draft picks on.

1. Franchise QB
2. Pass Rusher
3. LT
4. Shut down corner.

Also please see how Steve Hutchinson did not help the Vikings run game. Adrian Peterson made the run game go for Minnesota.

That being said, RT is a priority, so BPA at 13 and the OT from USC at 17, Charles Brown.

Mayock has Iupate as the 2nd best guard, and he sucked it up at the Senior Bowl.

I respect Walsh, but everything is relative. Walsh never had to draft a QB with a first round pick-Joe was a 3rd rounder and Steve was traded for a 2nd rounder I believe (although he was originally drafted number 1.

In fact we did draft OL in the first round during his years Harris and Bubba if you recall. He also said that you need talent to make the D work and you can make an O work with lesser talent through schemes-which the saints and colts proved-they just needed a really good QB.

With that said, we don't have a person that knows how to scheme on O-and the line coaches are new and we will have to wait and see if any are as good as McK.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by WildBill:
Perhaps you need to pick up a book called, the Winning Edge by Bill Walsh. Please read the section on key positions to use high draft picks on.

1. Franchise QB
2. Pass Rusher
3. LT
4. Shut down corner.

Also please see how Steve Hutchinson did not help the Vikings run game. Adrian Peterson made the run game go for Minnesota.

That being said, RT is a priority, so BPA at 13 and the OT from USC at 17, Charles Brown.

Mayock has Iupate as the 2nd best guard, and he sucked it up at the Senior Bowl.

I respect Walsh, but everything is relative. Walsh never had to draft a QB with a first round pick-Joe was a 3rd rounder and Steve was traded for a 2nd rounder I believe (although he was originally drafted number 1.

In fact we did draft OL in the first round during his years Harris and Bubba if you recall. He also said that you need talent to make the D work and you can make an O work with lesser talent through schemes-which the saints and colts proved-they just needed a really good QB.

With that said, we don't have a person that knows how to scheme on O-and the line coaches are new and we will have to wait and see if any are as good as McK.

Still to be seen what Jimmy Ray does with a full yr., camp preseason to set up a spread offense. A. Smith in a comfort zone, Crabtree settled in, same verbiage in the offense, all will aid in continuity.

1. Franchise QB
2. Pass Rusher
3. LT
4. Shut down corner.

No he doesn't. (I consider Pouncey a Center)

[ Edited by Schulzy on Mar 29, 2010 at 16:22:54 ]
Originally posted by FriscoKid2200:
F**k it guys, we should just draft o lineman with the first round picks we have.

1) T. Williams/B. Campbell (one of those guys should be around)

1b) Mike Iutipati

I always said we need an RT first and foremost. Then initially I wanted a playmaker on either side of the ball or a pass rusher. But now looking at it, we should just rebuild our O line for the next 8-10 years and not have to worry about protection. I only give Alex Smith this one last year to prove himself. If that doesn't pan out, we at least have the option to draft a qb next year and be in position to let him play rookie year. That's why the jets didn't do that bad with mark sanchez cause they had the o line to protect him and give him room for error.

The other good thing is that we have rounds 2-5, maybe 6 to fill our needs and whatnot. Believe it or not, we are in a good enough space with the draft that we can instantly become a playoff team. I'm not saying these rookies will be saving grace, but at least there won't be too much drop off with the team we currently have on the roster.

Lets kick some animal ass this year (Cards, Hawks, Rams)!!

I am down with the noob, fix the OL, but not with Campbell, he has Mike Mamula written all over him.

I would take Iupati no questions asked and I don't care what he did at the Senior Bowl.. He was playing out of position for most of it. If Brandon Graham had played MLB, he wouldn't have looked all that good either. Players playing out of position usually don't look very good.
It would be a bold move that would be criticized by most fans/experts, but IF the two worked out and became main stays, in a couple of seasons, football pundits would be talking about how smart the Niners were in the 2010 draft. It'll never happen, BUT they could get an O.T. and Spiller/Haden in the first and then get another O-Lineman in the second! Maybe that will float your Niner boat!
Share 49ersWebzone