LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 331 users in the forums

What Causes OTs to become busts?

I think that there are three things that can cause a tackle to flop:

- A lack of determination
- Short Arms
- Poor footwork

Looking at the 2010 class, only Okung is is without one of these shortfalls.

Bulaga has short arms, Williams has poor footwork (and isn't very agressive), and Davis has a major motivation problem.
Bulaga doesnt have short arms he just doesnt have long arms but okung is the clear cut best and i wouldnt be opposed to trading into top 5 to get him as ong as we dont trade both of our 1st round picks
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Bulaga doesnt have short arms he just doesnt have long arms but okung is the clear cut best and i wouldnt be opposed to trading into top 5 to get him as ong as we dont trade both of our 1st round picks

The #13 and a 3rd or the #17 and a 2nd is all it takes to get to #5...
Bad footwork and lack of atleticism and quickness.
all of the above plus sometimes they just aren't as good of an nfl player than they were in college. That's football. The same reason some 7th round or undrafted rookies become great. Sometimes it's the opposite of what many expect.
Originally posted by elguapo:
all of the above plus sometimes they just aren't as good of an nfl player than they were in college. That's football. The same reason some 7th round or undrafted rookies become great. Sometimes it's the opposite of what many expect.

Good post & I agree.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Ask Kwame Harris
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Ask Kwame Harris

Haha
  • bret
  • Veteran
More than almost any position on the team, poor play is VERY visible. And so teams tend to overvalue tackles. Therefore every year you see players drafted very high who don't actually grade out that high, but the teams feel they NEED them and so they reach. With the lofty pick comes money and expectations. When a player maybe shouldn't have been taken that high in the first place, it's a recipe for disaster!

Are the Niners going to fall into that trap this year and draft the 4th, 5th, or even 6th best tackle and leave higher graded players on the board? I hope not!
Originally posted by nickbradley:

are you sure about that? are you looking at the #'s or giving a hypothetical scenario?

ask the raiders
Originally posted by montana2rice:
Originally posted by nickbradley:

are you sure about that? are you looking at the #'s or giving a hypothetical scenario?

Using the draft value calculator. Also, precedent sets that price; Last year, the Browns traded the #5 to the Jets for the #17 and #52.
Originally posted by bret:
More than almost any position on the team, poor play is VERY visible. And so teams tend to overvalue tackles. Therefore every year you see players drafted very high who don't actually grade out that high, but the teams feel they NEED them and so they reach. With the lofty pick comes money and expectations. When a player maybe shouldn't have been taken that high in the first place, it's a recipe for disaster!

Are the Niners going to fall into that trap this year and draft the 4th, 5th, or even 6th best tackle and leave higher graded players on the board? I hope not!

Yes, that is our dilemma. Right Tackle is by FAR AND AWAY our #1 need. However, there is a big drop-off in talent after the 1st or 2nd OT is taken. That's why it makes so much sense to move up for a guy like Okung. In any year, Okung is a top 5 pick at OT.
Too many cheeseburgers.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
You don't pick a RT at #5. If we go up and grab Okung, then he should be our LT.
Share 49ersWebzone