LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 370 users in the forums

Draft Ace

Originally posted by Walsh:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
For the hundredth time, we are not drafting Earl Thomas!!! McCloughan does not like small DB's. And yes, I don't agree with that kind of philosophy.

3 Reasons why McCloughan might draft E.T.

1. Besides OT there's no player that is an obvious choice for McCloughan. He can go BPA but will that be?

2. Thomas put on some muscle prior to the combine so he is bigger/stronger (just not taller) and had a strong combine with what I read.

3. Thomas has had success in college. A proven track record is something that McCloughan looks for.

So if not Earl Thomas...then who would it be? I don't think you can rule him out=]

Iupati
Originally posted by adrenaline:
For the hundredth time, we are not drafting Earl Thomas!!! McCloughan does not like small DB's. And yes, I don't agree with that kind of philosophy.

Not to split hairs, but isn't Brown pretty small?

He was drafted in the fifth round. Scot has taken guys who are not prototypical size for their position, he just doesn't do it with early picks.
I don't see Jahvid being available at our pick in the 2nd round. Detroit might take a good look at him.
That looks great to me. But I'm also fine with flipping the RB and OT picks. So instead of:

Williams
Thomas
Best

you'd get:

Spiller
Thomas
Duccasse (or a different 2nd teir OT)

I'd be fine either way.
Originally posted by adrenaline:

Not to split hairs, but isn't Brown pretty small?

He fell to the 5th round because of character issues. He was a steal.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
"For the hundredth time, we are not drafting Earl Thomas!!! McCloughan does not like small DB's. And yes, I don't agree with that kind of philosophy.

Again, I really doubt McCloughan takes Earl Thomas in the 1st round, and I really doubt he values the Secondary position that high in the draft. Unless of course his name is Eric Berry."

All right I'm forced to agree but it's a bit disappointing. None of the guys I see as McCloughan guys fill a big need for us. We're just going to draft a bunch more defensive run stuffers.

I'm guna assume we get an OT in the first but the other non-OT guys that fits the McCloughan mold are kinda dull. With the first #1 we're going to end up with a guy like McClain or best case scenario Haden falls, who I'm ok with. Those seem the 2 most likely guys to fall that match the big body need. The 2nd #1 could get us a DT like Dan Williams or Jerry Hughes? B. Graham? I duno someone want to fire me up over these guys? I'd just be more excited with an offensive guy or a pure pass rusher...
[ Edited by Walsh on Mar 9, 2010 at 10:14 PM ]
As much as the WZ hates Mays, I think McCough is more out to draft him than E.T. at #17. McCough is a 1 trick pony, and loves himself some big DB.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I think that's a really good draft if it goes down that way.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
I dont know about you guys but i really like Draft Ace mock draft
i was looking at last year Mock Draft & they where the only ones that had us taking Michael Crabtree in the Draft pretty accurate.

im hoping that their predictions come true again for us this year

looks pretty good.......

1st Round: 13th pick

Trent Williams OT Oklahoma
Scouting Report
Upgrading the offensive line is the 49ers top priority this offseason, but Haden may be too good to pass up. Nate Clements is expected to return for 2010 despite being owed over $6M and having lost his starting job prior to suffering a season-ending injury last year. The addition of Haden would vastly improve their secondary and potentially make Clements expendable, allowing the Niners to save some money. If Haden is gone, Bryan Bulaga, Trent Williams and Anthony Davis should be their targets.

1st Round: 17th pick
Earl Thomas S Texas
Scouting Report
If the 49ers are able to address their offensive line needs with the first pick, they can turn their attention to the secondary here. With Clements due over $6M in 2010, it may be a tough sell to spend a 1st-round pick on a cornerback. Safety, however, is another need which could be addressed here. Dashon Goldson struggled at free safety, and Earl Thomas would represent a significant upgrade. Thomas excels in coverage, the area which Goldson struggled with most.

2nd Round: 49th pick
Jahvid Best RB California
Scouting Report
Best would give the Niners a thunder-and-lightning duo with Frank Gore.

it would be a dream draft if we could get Williams Thomas & Spiller but we all know that isnt going to happend

but if we could get these 3 that wouldnt be bad either

i wouldn't mind that
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
As much as the WZ hates Mays, I think McCough is more out to draft him than E.T. at #17. McCough is a 1 trick pony, and loves himself some big DB.

couldn't have said it better! classic

Earl Thomas isn't that small for a FS. Plus, when Scott went on his rant about bigger players, Earl was rumored to be around 190lbs, which wasn't the case at all.

I wouldn't mind Thomas at FS, but I doubt it happens because Scott personally chose Goldson for that spot. I think we'll select a SS later in the draft. I get the feeling that Scott doesn't like to draft safeties early. He likes to boast about finding secondary help in FA and later in the draft.

I like the draft though.
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:

couldn't have said it better! classic

i really think we could be the Raiders of this year if we draft Mays over Thomas
Thomas might be our Crabtree while Mays might become Heyward Bey (FAR REACH)

am a SC fan but i know that drafting Mays because of his size could be a big mistake he just lost a big step last season

Thomas please!!!
Size and speed wise, there isn't much difference between Earl Thomas and Reggie Smith. Both are ball hawking CBs that aren't blazing fast, hence the move to FS. I think Scotty won't draft a Reggie Smith clone. This will be Reggie's make or break year.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Walsh:

3 Reasons why McCloughan might draft E.T.

1. Besides OT there's no player that is an obvious choice for McCloughan. He can go BPA but will that be?

2. Thomas put on some muscle prior to the combine so he is bigger/stronger (just not taller) and had a strong combine with what I read.

3. Thomas has had success in college. A proven track record is something that McCloughan looks for.

So if not Earl Thomas...then who would it be? I don't think you can rule him out=]

Iupati

RT at 13 and a thomas or iupathi at 17 is mydream aft top if o with best in the 2nd and you have an A++++++ draft
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
I like the 1st round picks but not the 2nd round pick. I would like to get a LG in the 2nd round.

You'd pick a LG instead of Best? Best is a quarter of a notch below Spiller and he probably won't be there at 49 anyway. Can't we pick up an OG in the 3rd or 4th?
Share 49ersWebzone