LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

***East-West Shrine Game Prospect Watch Thread

once again what the rules on posting stuff from espn insider mcshay has a lot of good info in there
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
From multiple reports:

Word is that Indiana OT Roger Saffold has been dominant in practice, and easily defeated Greg Hardy in one-on-one matchups.

Iowa OT Kyle Calloway has also been looking sharp.

I like Calloway but doesn't he project better as a guard in the pros?

OTC would agree with you on that one.
Originally posted by jta854:
Keep an eye on tackle Chris Scott. He could be a good player for us to pick from the 3rd round on.

Absolutely agree...Chris Scott could end up being a very solid guard/RT combo in the NFL, and should be available in the 3rd-5th rounds.

I'm keeping an eye on DE/OLB Chris McCoy (6'3", 250, 4.61) from Middle Tenn St., NT Torell Troup (6'3", 315 junior) from Central Florida and SS Barry Church (6'2", 215) from Toledo.
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
The Shrine game is this Saturday, Jan 23 at 12 PM PST on ESPN2.

Here are the Rosters:

East Roster

West Roster

And here is the blog on the practices on the National Football Post:

East-West Practices

Who will you be watching for?

Kez, I see that this is noted as the Pre-Game Thread. I can get to working on a "Prospect Watch" thread right away and organize each teams roster by position with, of course, every players measurables, etc.

Good thinking. I changed the thread just to keep things clean. Look forward to your insight!

Oh, I was going to make a new thread, but in that case -- I'll PM my formatted list when it's completed, bud.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
From multiple reports:

Word is that Indiana OT Roger Saffold has been dominant in practice, and easily defeated Greg Hardy in one-on-one matchups.

I like Calloway but doesn't he project better as a guard in the pros?

OTC would agree with you on that one.

If I recall, I said he could do well at either spot, but never said he would project "better" as a guard, just to clarify who said what here.
Originally posted by lamontb:
once again what the rules on posting stuff from espn insider mcshay has a lot of good info in there

You can post certain thing just not all of it
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Originally posted by lamontb:

You can post certain thing just not all of it

yeah, i think its certain stuff, not whole articles.

I just posted kipers picks, not analysis.
Here is some non insider things
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4841654
Also pay close attention to small school CB Patrick Stoudemire. He's a guy who can definitely move up and make some noise. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does. Could he be this years Jacob Lacey? We'll see.
Also pay close attention to small school CB Patrick Stoudemire. He's a guy who can definitely move up and make some noise. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does. Could he be this years Jacob Lacey? We'll see.

OTC, who are your top 5 guys you are paying close attention or that we should pay attention to?

I wanna see this O'Brien Schoefield and Darryl Clark play.

And Is Hardy doing as bad as i hear? Where you think he ends up?

Originally posted by AB83Rules:

OTC, who are your top 5 guys you are paying close attention or that we should pay attention to?

I wanna see this O'Brien Schoefield and Darryl Clark play.

And Is Hardy doing as bad as i hear? Where you think he ends up?

Hardy didn't check in anywhere near where we expected. He was almost 280 pounds. Still a 2nd-3rd rounder at this point, but we'll see once the combine nears.

My top 5 "interests" from each squad would be:

East - Kam Chancellor, O'Brien Schofield, Kavell Conner, Kyle Calloway, and Chris Scott.

West - Brian Jackson, Martin Tevaseu, T.J. Ward, Robert Johnson, and Emmanuel Sanders.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 20, 2010 at 14:44:03 ]
Three prospects that will more than likely be drafted in the later rounds that intrigue me from the East are Kam Chancellor - S, Sergio Render - OG and Stephan Virgil - DB from Va Tech.
I mentioned Martin Tevaseu as one of the guys I have my eyes on. He's a DT prospect being converted from offensive lineman, which is where they had him playing at UNLV. He's a late-round to UDFA guy at this point, but depending on how he does, I think a team might love the upside they see in him and take him to develop him.

Tevaseu is a massive man and stands at 6-1 330 pounds -- Not bad if you're looking for a developmental Nose Tackle prospect on a 3-4 team.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
If people are wondering why they should give d*mn about this game, Dashon Goldson was discovered by Singletary here.

On a related note, I remember watching a WR from Utah absolutely dominate in this game. I kept saying to myself that little WR is out jumping bigger corners. That player was Panthers WR Steve Smith.

Anyways, the real competition like in the Senior Bowl, happens in practice week.

Here' a link to Draftguys practice reports: Link

Also ESPN's Todd McShay is reporting too but I don't have ESPN insider.

in their mock draft they have us taking 2 DE's in the 1st round.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
From multiple reports:

Calloway is my sleeper in the draft for the RT position. I think he could be a long-term starter in this league.

same here. He's the reason I don't think it's a must to go RT in the 1st. If we didn't go RT in the 1st I'd "reach" for him in the 2nd.
Share 49ersWebzone