LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

The "Perfect" Niner Draft

Originally posted by TX9R:
I get the wanting of a playmaker like SPiller, but the majority of great pass rushers in this league are high draft picks. I don't want to cross my fingers and hope for one in the second. It's been a decade since we had one, one lousy pass rusher and we didn't even draft him, the two we did actually draft, we let leave and star for other teams. One of the 1st rounders had better be an elite PR, it's no coincedence we haven't had a winning season since we last had one. I'm all for waiting later for interior line help and RT, because that's what you can get in later rounds anyway.

But the question is, what pass rusher would you pick in the 1st round with either pick (knowing that they will likely be top 10-15 picks)? Who's REALLY worth that high of a pick in terms of 3-4 OLB pass rushers this year???
two very sexy picks!! I like them, I'd like to get Larry Hughes too! As for O-linem this team is ready to win now, I think going the FA route would better serve us for the immediate future, but if we can find some guys in the 2nd-5th round that would be great!
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I get the wanting of a playmaker like SPiller, but the majority of great pass rushers in this league are high draft picks. I don't want to cross my fingers and hope for one in the second. It's been a decade since we had one, one lousy pass rusher and we didn't even draft him, the two we did actually draft, we let leave and star for other teams. One of the 1st rounders had better be an elite PR, it's no coincedence we haven't had a winning season since we last had one. I'm all for waiting later for interior line help and RT, because that's what you can get in later rounds anyway.

Well.. I guess the question then is who is truly worth being a top 10-15 selection at OLB. Hughes? Graham? They better be really great if we pass on Spiller or haden in my opinion. I just dont know if they are at that level. I know a lot in here think they are however.

We are fortunate because there are alot of pass rushers in this draft... I like your thinking John, but I want Berry with our 1st pick, OK its unrealistic but so was getting crabtree.

with our 2nd 1st rounder we NEED CJ Spiller. He immediately makes our offense better, not including ST. Stay with the spread offense, drop Norris and put SPiller and gore in tandem and watch the defense s**t themselves with VD, Crabtree, D walker, and Morgan as threats too.

with our 2nd rounder, BPA at rush OLB or OL.... remember this draft is deep because of the possible changes in regards to rookie contracts. EVERYONE is coming out. Hell if we can trade our 1st next year like Carolina did so we can pickup someone late in the 1st early 2nd I'm Done with that. We Need at RT and a guard that can run block. I would love to get the kid from Idaho!

rest of draft is BPA Period... lets hope our front office and scouts have done their homework for this offseason. I dont expect any big FA signings.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoFD74:

But the question is, what pass rusher would you pick in the 1st round with either pick (knowing that they will likely be top 10-15 picks)? Who's REALLY worth that high of a pick in terms of 3-4 OLB pass rushers this year???

I'll wait for the bowl season and combine for that answer. I typically don't like getting this far ahead, I mean the order isn't even set yet, I'm just speaking in general terms. Our defense can't get off the field because QBs have 5 plus seconds to pass. Eliminating all those extra snaps that our offense doesn't get would work wonders for the stats, and points.

Do it like this:

Give up our 2nd to move up a couple picks and get berry.

Then trade down with the second 1st for a late 2nd and get Graham

Then with the late second OT!

Berry
Graham
Tackle

Brilliant!

I'll wait for the bowl season and combine for that answer. I typically don't like getting this far ahead, I mean the order isn't even set yet, I'm just speaking in general terms. Our defense can't get off the field because QBs have 5 plus seconds to pass. Eliminating all those extra snaps that our offense doesn't get would work wonders for the stats, and points.

Good enough. I dont disagree with you at all and I would pull the trigger with our first pick for an OLB pass rusher if I thought he was going to be an elite pass rusher in this league. I just dont know if there is anyone like that.

One reason I tend to hesitate with taking that player so early is that its tough to predict how a down college defensive end will transition to being a 3-4 OLB. Look at guys like Gholston from the Jets who thus far has been a bust. I dont think Aaron Maybin has a sack this year. To me its a position with big bust potential. The Niners thought that Manny Lawson was going to be a great pass rusher and it is evdident now that he never will be.
Originally posted by irishluder:

Well.. I guess the question then is who is truly worth being a top 10-15 selection at OLB. Hughes? Graham? They better be really great if we pass on Spiller or haden in my opinion. I just dont know if they are at that level. I know a lot in here think they are however.

We are fortunate because there are alot of pass rushers in this draft... I like your thinking John, but I want Berry with our 1st pick, OK its unrealistic but so was getting crabtree.

with our 2nd 1st rounder we NEED CJ Spiller. He immediately makes our offense better, not including ST. Stay with the spread offense, drop Norris and put SPiller and gore in tandem and watch the defense s**t themselves with VD, Crabtree, D walker, and Morgan as threats too.

with our 2nd rounder, BPA at rush OLB or OL.... remember this draft is deep because of the possible changes in regards to rookie contracts. EVERYONE is coming out. Hell if we can trade our 1st next year like Carolina did so we can pickup someone late in the 1st early 2nd I'm Done with that. We Need at RT and a guard that can run block. I would love to get the kid from Idaho!

rest of draft is BPA Period... lets hope our front office and scouts have done their homework for this offseason. I dont expect any big FA signings.

Its possible that Berry could fall I suppose but I just think its so unlikely. Remember, the only reason Crabtree fell was because of his injury and his inability to run for teams. Without that he never would have lasted until #10.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran

Good enough. I dont disagree with you at all and I would pull the trigger with our first pick for an OLB pass rusher if I thought he was going to be an elite pass rusher in this league. I just dont know if there is anyone like that.

One reason I tend to hesitate with taking that player so early is that its tough to predict how a down college defensive end will transition to being a 3-4 OLB. Look at guys like Gholston from the Jets who thus far has been a bust. I dont think Aaron Maybin has a sack this year. To me its a position with big bust potential. The Niners thought that Manny Lawson was going to be a great pass rusher and it is evdident now that he never will be.

We had a chance at just that guy last year with Orakpo, who people actually questioned. Gholston I think everyone pretty much saw coming. I know it's a crap shoot, but so is most any position. I'm just tired of seeing the problem not even addressed. Look at the teams that have good PRs like Pitt or NY, they draft one or 2 every year, sometimes they pan out, sometimes not, but they always have a good pass rush, and coincentally are always in the hunt.
ahhhhh . i'm fine with berry

[ Edited by YuNGaCE on Dec 11, 2009 at 16:39:37 ]
Originally posted by JD81:
Hughes, Kindle and Graham will be first round selections......Although being a Michigan fan I'd KILL for Graham....

Graham is a top-3 pass-rusher. I absolutely agree, having seen him play, along with all of the others mentioned as well.

Graham is a HUGE cut above all the rest. The only players who might push Graham for being the first pass-rushing OLB or hybrid taken might be Derrick Morgan and Ricky Sapp. Graham put up monstrous numbers while facing double teams often, and he demonstrated he can be moved and play well on both sides of the line.

Originally posted by gilwankel:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
im pretty sure at our first pick we have available patrick robinson will still be available...

and i would absolutely love that..

You mean in the second round, right?

cute...

not at all..

you are either implying that we pass on the opportunity of a hugely top heavy draft at the skill positions, which happens maybe every 20 years, or that patrick robinson will be a 2nd rounder, either way...what you are suggesting likely has no weight to it..
If we signed an OL in free agency and had this draft I would nut by britches.
i also dont mean any ill regards to Haden, everyone here knows im a huge Florida fan, and i love Haden, but having watched both...Robinson is more of a speedy guy who isnt really known for his tackling, while Haden is more of a complete corner, but doesnt really have elite speed...and if i could chose between the two when looking at our secondary right now..i want the guy who isnt going to get beat deep.

that said, there ARE plenty of guys id rather have with that first pick...but if we go corner first, i want Robinson..

[ Edited by MaliCali on Dec 8, 2009 at 14:11:28 ]
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:

yeah im not to high on haden, he not like a sure thing like DRC was, not worth a top 10 if u ask me/
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:

He got burned a lot in the first half but he had some nice plays in the 2nd half and that video was from last year, this year he probably got a little better.
Share 49ersWebzone