LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

The "Perfect" Niner Draft

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:

ahhhhh . i'm fine with berry

He got burned a lot in the first half but he had some nice plays in the 2nd half and that video was from last year, this year he probably got a little better.

LOL Try a LOT better. It makes me laugh when someone shows a Utube clip from a year ago as proof that a guy shouldnt be taken. There isnt a perfect player yet and I know there isnt a DB that hasnt been burned a few times. Joe Haden is a damn good football player and would be an immediate starter on this team.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by GoFD74:
I get the wanting of a playmaker like SPiller, but the majority of great pass rushers in this league are high draft picks. I don't want to cross my fingers and hope for one in the second. It's been a decade since we had one, one lousy pass rusher and we didn't even draft him, the two we did actually draft, we let leave and star for other teams. One of the 1st rounders had better be an elite PR, it's no coincedence we haven't had a winning season since we last had one. I'm all for waiting later for interior line help and RT, because that's what you can get in later rounds anyway.

But the question is, what pass rusher would you pick in the 1st round with either pick (knowing that they will likely be top 10-15 picks)? Who's REALLY worth that high of a pick in terms of 3-4 OLB pass rushers this year???

I'll wait for the bowl season and combine for that answer. I typically don't like getting this far ahead, I mean the order isn't even set yet, I'm just speaking in general terms. Our defense can't get off the field because QBs have 5 plus seconds to pass. Eliminating all those extra snaps that our offense doesn't get would work wonders for the stats, and points.

Good enough. I dont disagree with you at all and I would pull the trigger with our first pick for an OLB pass rusher if I thought he was going to be an elite pass rusher in this league. I just dont know if there is anyone like that.

One reason I tend to hesitate with taking that player so early is that its tough to predict how a down college defensive end will transition to being a 3-4 OLB. Look at guys like Gholston from the Jets who thus far has been a bust. I dont think Aaron Maybin has a sack this year. To me its a position with big bust potential. The Niners thought that Manny Lawson was going to be a great pass rusher and it is evdident now that he never will be.

We had a chance at just that guy last year with Orakpo, who people actually questioned. Gholston I think everyone pretty much saw coming. I know it's a crap shoot, but so is most any position. I'm just tired of seeing the problem not even addressed. Look at the teams that have good PRs like Pitt or NY, they draft one or 2 every year, sometimes they pan out, sometimes not, but they always have a good pass rush, and coincentally are always in the hunt.

I agree that teams should always draft a passrusher but would disagree that it has to be in rd 1. In fact, I dont think Pitt or NY has any OLB that has been taken in the first round.

IN looking at the past decade there are VERY few successful passrushers at the OLB spot taken in rd 1. In fact, there have been more busts. For every Shawne Merriman or Terrell Suggs there are many more Gholstons, Gaines Adams, Manny Lawsons. It truly is a crap shoot and I believe the toughest position to evaluate and predict in the NFL.
Haden and Spiller? Me likee.
ugh
i saw a mock draft somwhere had us taking

1a joe haden
1b Brian balugula
2 lupani

that is best draft and if that happens definite domination
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
can live with haden and spiller. if berry is gone
I would not be mad at this draft.
Originally posted by MaliCali:
i also dont mean any ill regards to Haden, everyone here knows im a huge Florida fan, and i love Haden, but having watched both...Robinson is more of a speedy guy who isnt really known for his tackling, while Haden is more of a complete corner, but doesnt really have elite speed...and if i could chose between the two when looking at our secondary right now..i want the guy who isnt going to get beat deep.

that said, there ARE plenty of guys id rather have with that first pick...but if we go corner first, i want Robinson..

Reports have said tht Haden can run a 4.4
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i also dont mean any ill regards to Haden, everyone here knows im a huge Florida fan, and i love Haden, but having watched both...Robinson is more of a speedy guy who isnt really known for his tackling, while Haden is more of a complete corner, but doesnt really have elite speed...and if i could chose between the two when looking at our secondary right now..i want the guy who isnt going to get beat deep.

that said, there ARE plenty of guys id rather have with that first pick...but if we go corner first, i want Robinson..

I think that Joe Haden is fast enough thats for sure. I see him as a complete player who has excellent cover skills and is a very good tackler. I just dont see a downside in drafting him.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

I think that Joe Haden is fast enough thats for sure. I see him as a complete player who has excellent cover skills and is a very good tackler. I just dont see a downside in drafting him.

Just to play devil's advocate, wasn't the same said about Jenkins (esp by MD) last year until he ran a 4.6 at the combine?

Share 49ersWebzone