There are 188 users in the forums

Drafting A Tall WR?

Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by genus49:
We don't need a tall receiver - we just need a good one.

I echo the people that say we need a Desean jackson type of slot guy. Someone with excellent speed who is very good after the catch. Hell just a guy who is smart and can run after grabbing the ball - Wes Welker type.

Crabtree and Morgan are a good starting point but both of those guys are more of the posession type receivers and not burners. We need a guy who can take a quick 1 yard throw and turn it into a first down. Or a guy who can grab a slant and take it to the house.

It would be a big plus if he could return kicks too.

Tall receivers don't equal talent just look at Maurice Stovall from the Bucs. That kid is like 6'6 and hasn't done sh*t in the NFL.

Like speed receivers are any safer. Troy Williamson, Ted Ginn, Heyward Bey. Oh the list goes on and on speed guys whose speed didn't translate to the pros. Hell we got a 4.32 receiver whose not that fast. I look at Crabtree as a Boldin/ Housmanzadeh like player. Elite possession receiver. I disagree that you have to pair him up with small receiver though. Boldin's counterpart is Larry Fitzgerald. You put Sidney Rice next to Crabtree and nobody's complaining about our offense.

Speed translates more to success than size. I'm not here to say if you have speed you're guranteed to be a good player but it's simply not the type of receiver we need.

You need balance - you get a posession receiver and you get a burner who can grab a quick slant and be gone. Crabs and Morgan are not those type of players. Jason Hill for whatever reason is in the doghouse. So yes we need a guy who is quick.

And 40 speed doesn't always translate to game speed - see Jerry Rice. Also the guys you mentioned wouldn't be so bad if they could just catch the ball.

I disagree. It's about 50-50 between size guys and speed guys leading in yardage right now. Here's the top 20 right now

Size guys: A Johnson, Marshall, Rice, Fitzgerald, White, Austin, Sims Walker, V Jackson, Colston

Speed guys: Moss, Wayne, Welker, Smith, Ochocinco, Jackson, Holmes

Neither/ TE: Ward, Driver, Gates, Clark

Yeah we need someone who can stretch the field. You can stretch the field and not be a speedy receiver.

The guys you listed for size also have speed...just saying ;)

Nobody's saying draft a tall guy with 4.9 speed just because he's tall. With the exception of Andre Johnson all of those guys have 4.47 speed or higher. They pretty have average NFL speed.

As to your point with a different poster Arizona has Fitzgerald and Boldin and they're doing just fine. San Diego's offense is doing just fine with Floyd and V Jackson. Houston's offense is doing just fine with A Johnson and Kevin Walter.

I wouldn't say SD or Houston is doing fine. SD relies on Gates a ton and there's a reason he's been their leading receiver for several years.

Houston has Andre Johnson who is arguably the best receiver in the game...look at how they've done after Owen Daniels got hurt. Ken Walter isn't exactly a top guy.

As for Arizona they have 2 top 10 receivers and Fitz is #1a/b to Johnson so the argument above applies as well.

Sure you can succeed without guys who compliment each other but it makes it a lot tougher for defenses to scheme against you.

Argue it all you want but the fact is this thread is made about drafting a tall receiver...which whichever way you cut it doesn't equal ability. You can have a 6'5 receiver who is useless or a 6'5 receiver who plays like Randy Moss. I'll take a good receiver in general - regardless how tall he is.
We don't need a tall receiver - we just need a good one.

I echo the people that say we need a Desean jackson type of slot guy. Someone with excellent speed who is very good after the catch. Hell just a guy who is smart and can run after grabbing the ball - Wes Welker type.

Crabtree and Morgan are a good starting point but both of those guys are more of the posession type receivers and not burners. We need a guy who can take a quick 1 yard throw and turn it into a first down. Or a guy who can grab a slant and take it to the house.

It would be a big plus if he could return kicks too.

Tall receivers don't equal talent just look at Maurice Stovall from the Bucs. That kid is like 6'6 and hasn't done sh*t in the NFL.

Like speed receivers are any safer. Troy Williamson, Ted Ginn, Heyward Bey. Oh the list goes on and on speed guys whose speed didn't translate to the pros. Hell we got a 4.32 receiver whose not that fast. I look at Crabtree as a Boldin/ Housmanzadeh like player. Elite possession receiver. I disagree that you have to pair him up with small receiver though. Boldin's counterpart is Larry Fitzgerald. You put Sidney Rice next to Crabtree and nobody's complaining about our offense.

Speed translates more to success than size. I'm not here to say if you have speed you're guranteed to be a good player but it's simply not the type of receiver we need.

You need balance - you get a posession receiver and you get a burner who can grab a quick slant and be gone. Crabs and Morgan are not those type of players. Jason Hill for whatever reason is in the doghouse. So yes we need a guy who is quick.

And 40 speed doesn't always translate to game speed - see Jerry Rice. Also the guys you mentioned wouldn't be so bad if they could just catch the ball.

I disagree. It's about 50-50 between size guys and speed guys leading in yardage right now. Here's the top 20 right now

Size guys: A Johnson, Marshall, Rice, Fitzgerald, White, Austin, Sims Walker, V Jackson, Colston

Speed guys: Moss, Wayne, Welker, Smith, Ochocinco, Jackson, Holmes

Neither/ TE: Ward, Driver, Gates, Clark

Yeah we need someone who can stretch the field. You can stretch the field and not be a speedy receiver.

The guys you listed for size also have speed...just saying ;)

Nobody's saying draft a tall guy with 4.9 speed just because he's tall. With the exception of Andre Johnson all of those guys have 4.47 speed or higher. They pretty have average NFL speed.

As to your point with a different poster Arizona has Fitzgerald and Boldin and they're doing just fine. San Diego's offense is doing just fine with Floyd and V Jackson. Houston's offense is doing just fine with A Johnson and Kevin Walter.

I wouldn't say SD or Houston is doing fine. SD relies on Gates a ton and there's a reason he's been their leading receiver for several years.

Houston has Andre Johnson who is arguably the best receiver in the game...look at how they've done after Owen Daniels got hurt. Ken Walter isn't exactly a top guy.

As for Arizona they have 2 top 10 receivers and Fitz is #1a/b to Johnson so the argument above applies as well.

Sure you can succeed without guys who compliment each other but it makes it a lot tougher for defenses to scheme against you.

Argue it all you want but the fact is this thread is made about drafting a tall receiver...which whichever way you cut it doesn't equal ability. You can have a 6'5 receiver who is useless or a 6'5 receiver who plays like Randy Moss. I'll take a good receiver in general - regardless how tall he is.

Houston has the 3rd best passing attack, and San Diego has the 7th best passing attack. Let's stop pretending like somethings wrong with their offense. BTW Vernon's starting to emerge into that TE as well.

Here's were you're wrong. First off nobody is saying draft a tall receiver that's useless. How assanine is that, and no you aren't saying I want a good receiver regardless of size. You're saying I want a receiver in the mold of Desean Jackson. Meaning you're obsessing over speed, and you'd be willing to pass on a superior prospect just because he doesn't fit your mold. You'd pass on Sidney Rice to get Ted Ginn.

For the record I'm not against drafting a speedy receiver. I get it. Find a slot guy who can also return kicks.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 19, 2009 at 8:43 AM ]
  • Envy
  • Veteran
The Bolts had 5 receivers 6ft 4 and above yesterday. Not saying that makes it a trend but surely we could review the potential of bring a mismatch onto our offence.
Share 49ersWebzone