LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 120 users in the forums

Drafting A Tall WR?

• Envy
  • Veteran
Now don't all jump on the fact we are probably as well stocked at WR than we have been in years. I know this and I'm not saying we spend any high draft picks on drafting another WR. That saying though if there is a tall WR and by that I mean 6ft 3 and above then I would seriously consider it. Why? Well our WRs are good but there are no Giants like Marshall or Colston. With a misfiring offence there is an argument to draft a situational receiver to take on smaller CBs. In essence creating mismatches. Our QB situation is not great and any further help could be useful.
why? redzone hasn't been an issue for this team. It's been getting there that has been. Most of the good WRs are just about 6 feet tall: Reggie Wayne, Santonio Holmes, Hines Ward, Steve Smith (NY), Rice was 6'1" or 6'2". The whole tall receiver thing is overblown because of when we had TO and because of the freakish athletes that CJ, Marshall, and TO are, but that height isn't necessary for a successful offense.
I'd think a speedy Desean Jackson type would suit this offense better actually.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by darkknight49:
why? redzone hasn't been an issue for this team. It's been getting there that has been. Most of the good WRs are just about 6 feet tall: Reggie Wayne, Santonio Holmes, Hines Ward, Steve Smith (NY), Rice was 6'1" or 6'2". The whole tall receiver thing is overblown because of when we had TO and because of the freakish athletes that CJ, Marshall, and TO are, but that height isn't necessary for a successful offense.

I agree that height isn't necessary for a successful offence but we're not a successful offence. Nowhere near. I understand that there are great WRs that were not tall. I'm not making the case as to what makes a great WR. What I'm saying is that a potential possession receiver that can mismatch against the average shorter CB is certainly an option we could use.

You say redzone isn't a problem but getting there is. Well a tall receiver could help make some of those plays on route to the redzone.
What we really need is a speed threat, but before that we need an OL.

Our receivers as it is cannot even get through their routes before the QB is forced to throw, or is sacked. That's our biggest problem by far.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I'd think a speedy Desean Jackson type would suit this offense better actually.

yeah we need a speedy player period. we lack speed on BOTH sides of the ball and special teams.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
What we really need is a speed threat, but before that we need an OL.

Our receivers as it is cannot even get through their routes before the QB is forced to throw, or is sacked. That's our biggest problem by far.

I agree and liked I said I wouldn't for one second advocate taking a tall WR over any of our needs. Just a thought really with the 49ers having the weekend off.
Next year is the year for a tall receiver should we need one. AJ Green, Michael Floyd, Julio Jones. This year we find a QB and fix the line.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
A tall TE is really what we need. A tall blocking TE that we can utilize since VD gets more attention.
carlos singleton at memphis state is 6-8

They already have a tall wr in Zeigler but Bruce is takeing his roster spot.
Zeigler got cut btw, but anyways, i would like to have a tall, fast wide receiver like a calvin johnson 6'5 can run a 4.4 40 woo
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
A tall TE is really what we need. A tall blocking TE that we can utilize since VD gets more attention.

Oh you mean like Bear Pascoe who the 49ers drafted but let go? Wasnt he 6'8, and a strong blocker?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by GEEK:

Oh you mean like Bear Pascoe who the 49ers drafted but let go? Wasnt he 6'8, and a strong blocker?

He was 6-5 but couldn't acclimate to the NFL.
Originally posted by darkknight49:

Eh there are plenty of good-really good WRs that are the tall guys. Plax(before jail), Moss, Marshall, TO, CJ, Vincent Jackson, Colston. Fitz, Braylon, AJ, etc. There's plenty of them. It helps your QB when you can just throw it up and the WR go gets it.
Share 49ersWebzone