LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 189 users in the forums

Drafting A Tall WR?

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
why? redzone hasn't been an issue for this team. It's been getting there that has been. Most of the good WRs are just about 6 feet tall: Reggie Wayne, Santonio Holmes, Hines Ward, Steve Smith (NY), Rice was 6'1" or 6'2". The whole tall receiver thing is overblown because of when we had TO and because of the freakish athletes that CJ, Marshall, and TO are, but that height isn't necessary for a successful offense.

Eh there are plenty of good-really good WRs that are the tall guys. Plax(before jail), Moss, Marshall, TO, CJ, Vincent Jackson, Colston. Fitz, Braylon, AJ, etc. There's plenty of them. It helps your QB when you can just throw it up and the WR go gets it.

I agree look at Sidney Rice. Rice is averaging 17.9 ypc this year. You can make the case that needing a speedy receiver to stretch the field is overblown. Guys like Rice, Fitzgerald, Marshall stretch the field because they have enough speed and athletic ability to catch the ball over defenders. They don't need the 3 yards separation to make the play on the deep ball.
I hear Manute Bol is still looking for a job
Would rather wai until next year if we do draft tall WR.
We don't need a tall receiver - we just need a good one.

I echo the people that say we need a Desean jackson type of slot guy. Someone with excellent speed who is very good after the catch. Hell just a guy who is smart and can run after grabbing the ball - Wes Welker type.

Crabtree and Morgan are a good starting point but both of those guys are more of the posession type receivers and not burners. We need a guy who can take a quick 1 yard throw and turn it into a first down. Or a guy who can grab a slant and take it to the house.

It would be a big plus if he could return kicks too.

Tall receivers don't equal talent just look at Maurice Stovall from the Bucs. That kid is like 6'6 and hasn't done sh*t in the NFL.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Depends on what you're trying to do? I know Chargers have had success with big receivers. The best bet is let's not worry about height and try to evaluate the best WR and if he turns out to be short like Steve Smith or skinny like Desean Jackson we should pick them.
Originally posted by titan:
Depends on what you're trying to do? I know Chargers have had success with big receivers. The best bet is let's not worry about height and try to evaluate the best WR and if he turns out to be short like Steve Smith or skinny like Desean Jackson we should pick them.

How much success did they really have? Chris Chambers and Vincent Jackson have never been mentioned among the best in the game. Jackson is just starting to break out now but it's not because he's tall. It's because he's physical.

There were a lot of burners I liked in the draft that produced Desean. Avery, Douglas, Shields and a bunch of other guys who had the jets.

Kinda crazy looking back that Desean went after all the other guys.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I'd think a speedy Desean Jackson type would suit this offense better actually.

yeah we need a speedy player period. we lack speed on BOTH sides of the ball and special teams.

I feel like we have a speedy WR, we just don't use them (Hill, Jones)
Originally posted by genus49:

I echo the people that say we need a Desean jackson type of slot guy. Someone with excellent speed who is very good after the catch. Hell just a guy who is smart and can run after grabbing the ball - Wes Welker type.

Crabtree and Morgan are a good starting point but both of those guys are more of the posession type receivers and not burners. We need a guy who can take a quick 1 yard throw and turn it into a first down. Or a guy who can grab a slant and take it to the house.

Tall receivers don't equal talent just look at Maurice Stovall from the Bucs. That kid is like 6'6 and hasn't done sh*t in the NFL.

Like speed receivers are any safer. Troy Williamson, Ted Ginn, Heyward Bey. Oh the list goes on and on speed guys whose speed didn't translate to the pros. Hell we got a 4.32 receiver whose not that fast. I look at Crabtree as a Boldin/ Housmanzadeh like player. Elite possession receiver. I disagree that you have to pair him up with small receiver though. Boldin's counterpart is Larry Fitzgerald. You put Sidney Rice next to Crabtree and nobody's complaining about our offense.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 17, 2009 at 8:12 AM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Like speed receivers are any safer. Troy Williamson, Ted Ginn, Heyward Bey. Oh the list goes on and on speed guys whose speed didn't translate to the pros. Hell we got a 4.32 receiver whose not that fast. I look at Crabtree as a Boldin/ Housmanzadeh like player. Elite possession receiver. I disagree that you have to pair him up with small receiver though. Boldin's counterpart is Larry Fitzgerald. You put Sidney Rice next to Crabtree and nobody's complaining about our offense.

Speed translates more to success than size. I'm not here to say if you have speed you're guranteed to be a good player but it's simply not the type of receiver we need.

You need balance - you get a posession receiver and you get a burner who can grab a quick slant and be gone. Crabs and Morgan are not those type of players. Jason Hill for whatever reason is in the doghouse. So yes we need a guy who is quick.

And 40 speed doesn't always translate to game speed - see Jerry Rice. Also the guys you mentioned wouldn't be so bad if they could just catch the ball.

Speed translates more to success than size. I'm not here to say if you have speed you're guranteed to be a good player but it's simply not the type of receiver we need.

You need balance - you get a posession receiver and you get a burner who can grab a quick slant and be gone. Crabs and Morgan are not those type of players. Jason Hill for whatever reason is in the doghouse. So yes we need a guy who is quick.

And 40 speed doesn't always translate to game speed - see Jerry Rice. Also the guys you mentioned wouldn't be so bad if they could just catch the ball.

I disagree. It's about 50-50 between size guys and speed guys leading in yardage right now. Here's the top 20 right now

Size guys: A Johnson, Marshall, Rice, Fitzgerald, White, Austin, Sims Walker, V Jackson, Colston

Speed guys: Moss, Wayne, Welker, Smith, Ochocinco, Jackson, Holmes

Neither/ TE: Ward, Driver, Gates, Clark

Yeah we need someone who can stretch the field. You can stretch the field and not be a speedy receiver.

I disagree. It's about 50-50 between size guys and speed guys leading in yardage right now. Here's the top 20 right now

Size guys: A Johnson, Marshall, Rice, Fitzgerald, White, Austin, Sims Walker, V Jackson, Colston

Yeah we need someone who can stretch the field. You can stretch the field and not be a speedy receiver.

The guys you listed for size also have speed...just saying ;)
  • Envy
  • Veteran

Yes but you miss my point. I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel here. I'm trying to find a gap that can be exploited. We have perhaps 3 or more possession type receivers that are mostly the same size. Are they destroying teams? No. You can't say they are.

My belief is a tall WR can get those chunk yards that you need more often is all. I don't think they would become number 1 or 2 but as just like the fashion for a smaller quicker slot WR there is a need for taller Range WR also. Someone who can make those rare high passing catches and get those first downs.

Like I said I'm not trying to champion drafting a WR anywhere in the first few rounds. I'm just looking at our offence and seeing that we have built a very similar stable at wideout. We need balance to threaten defences.
Originally posted by Envy:

Yes but you miss my point. I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel here. I'm trying to find a gap that can be exploited. We have perhaps 3 or more possession type receivers that are mostly the same size. Are they destroying teams? No. You can't say they are.

My belief is a tall WR can get those chunk yards that you need more often is all. I don't think they would become number 1 or 2 but as just like the fashion for a smaller quicker slot WR there is a need for taller Range WR also. Someone who can make those rare high passing catches and get those first downs.

Like I said I'm not trying to champion drafting a WR anywhere in the first few rounds. I'm just looking at our offence and seeing that we have built a very similar stable at wideout. We need balance to threaten defences.

The thing is you need receivers that compliment each other...so you need size and speed. If you only have size guys defenses can play you a completely different way and not worry about those quick slants or screens. Look at what the pats do. They have Moss and Welker - those guys do a great job complimenting each other. Moss of course also has speed but still the same rule applies.

The guys you listed for size also have speed...just saying ;)

Nobody's saying draft a tall guy with 4.9 speed just because he's tall. With the exception of Andre Johnson all of those guys have 4.47 speed or higher. They pretty have average NFL speed.

As to your point with a different poster Arizona has Fitzgerald and Boldin and they're doing just fine. San Diego's offense is doing just fine with Floyd and V Jackson. Houston's offense is doing just fine with A Johnson and Kevin Walter.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 18, 2009 at 9:03 AM ]
A fast WR to stretch the defense is what is really needed. If they are big AND fast, so much the better.
Share 49ersWebzone