There are 154 users in the forums

DraftCountdown/Scott Wright's first 2010 mock

• evil
  • Veteran
#11 SAN FRANCISCO 49'ERS: JEVAN SNEAD, QB, OLE MISS

Alex Smith may only be 25-years-old but at this point the former #1 overall pick can officially be written off as a bust. The Niners are going with Shaun Hill as their starting quarterback in 2009 and while he has shown some flashes at times it’s hard to believe that a guy who is almost 30-years-old and has been in the league for seven years is all of the sudden going to emerge. Barring something unforeseen the 49’ers are going to be in the market for a signal caller next offseason and they would be very fortunate to land Jevan Snead out of Ole Miss. A top recruit coming out of high school, Snead began his college career at Texas but opted to transfer once it became obvious that Colt McCoy had a stranglehold on the starting job. Jevan Snead | Mississippi Rebels Arguably the most physically talented signal caller in either the junior or seniors classes, Snead’s strong arm and above-average athleticism has drawn favorable comparisons to Jay Cutler and Matthew Stafford. If Snead can build on his breakout sophomore campaign he will not only be a first round pick but could even be long gone by this point. San Francisco has plenty of other glaring holes to address, most notably cornerback and offensive tackle, but as always a quarterback has to take precedence above all else.

#20 SAN FRANCISCO 49'ERS (f/CAR): PATRICK ROBINSON, CB, FLORIDA STATE

A few years ago the Niners gave Nate Clements a monster free agent contract and he is still one of the best cornerbacks in the game. However, they have very little beyond him, especially after Walt Harris went down with a season-ending knee injury, and desperately need to add another top flight talent at the position. Florida State has a long and proud history of sending corners to the pros, from Deion Sanders and Terrell Buckley back in the late 80’s / early 90’s to Samari Rolle and more recently Antonio Cromartie. Patrick Robinson is the next great Seminoles cover guy and he will try to help carry on that tradition. Robinson only has about one seasons worth of starting experience Patrick Robinson | Florida St. Seminoles but he possesses all of the physical tools you look for, including a nice blend of size and speed to go along with great quickness and fluid hips. Widely regarded to be the premier senior prospect at his position, a strong final campaign in Tallahassee would cement Robinson's status as a first round pick. Unfortunately for 49’ers fans their squad has as many significant needs as any team in the league and they could realistically go in a number of different directions here, including but not limited to quarterback, right tackle, safety, linebacker and nose tackle.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also something to point out Seattle has 2 draft picks in next year's draft (one is from Denver)....if they have a poor showing like Scott is currently predicting they could have 2 top 10 picks
I doubt Snead will go before McCoy.
we need an NT instead of snead... not too high on him
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:

Why ?
Would love to get Snead, and unless we do something else with our pass rush before next season, I would think we would be getting a pass rusher with our other first. Good corners can be had in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Why ?

If Bradford is out a few games his chances at the Heisman will be gone, which will elevate McCoy immensely. McCoy is going to put up big numbers this year and his stats alone will outshine Sneed. I would bet McCoy is gone by pick 5-12, Sneed probably right after that.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Why ?

If Bradford is out a few games his chances at the Heisman will be gone, which will elevate McCoy immensely. McCoy is going to put up big numbers this year and his stats alone will outshine Sneed. I would bet McCoy is gone by pick 5-12, Sneed probably right after that.

I think Snead has a bigger upside and Colt's intangibles are not quite as good. Seattle could also be a team to draft a QB so they could snatch our QB (obviously we will feel stronger about one guy more than the other) should we take one before us, then again they could be drafting top 3 and snag Bradford seeing as they have Denver's 1st rounder.

Why ?

I think Snead has a bigger upside and Colt's intangibles are not quite as good. Seattle could also be a team to draft a QB so they could snatch our QB (obviously we will feel stronger about one guy more than the other) should we take one before us, then again they could be drafting top 3 and snag Bradford seeing as they have Denver's 1st rounder.

Every team in the NFC west could be looking at a QB this year. Seattle if picking very early could grab Bradford and I bet they will take a long look at him.
I would be very happy with that combination. I would prefer Joe Haden because he is a beast but oh well. Of course this would mean we would suck again....
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I don't like Sneads throwing motion. I say go with Hill another year and address our other needs.

I like what we have in Nate Davis. I truly think he is a steal. We need the best pass rusher in this draft at all costs. Then add depth at the O-line.
Originally posted by mayo63:
I don't like Sneads throwing motion. I say go with Hill another year and address our other needs.

Can you really say that before we see how he plays this year, if he is terrible he might not make it to the end of this season much less the next.
I dont agree with him about our cb situation. i think thats one of our deepest spots on the team. i wouldnt mind snead though.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I dont agree with him about our cb situation. i think thats one of our deepest spots on the team. i wouldnt mind snead though.

I think he may be spot on, not because of the depth, but if Clements continues to struggle we need another cb. Terrell Brown will be there, Spencer will also. I love the Snead pick. I think his skills will translate the best to the pro game. As far as the other pick, I'd put a premium on a pass rusher before a cb, but his analysis isn't too far fetched.
Right now I am not feeling these 2 picks. I'd rather build around the QB spot and let Hill fill in until Davis is ready. This way when he is we have a good situation around him unlike what we had for Alex Smith.

Some person had a 3 round mock draft over on their forum of Suh, Hardy, Sam Young and Boo Robinson.

I said perfect at the time but with Pashos and not sure if we take Suh and Boo because they would be both NTs and we have enough DE so we dont want to move suh there.
Share 49ersWebzone