There are 164 users in the forums

The 2010 Draft and our 2 1st rounders

Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
The Niners recipe for success:

1) Hire Norv Turner after he gets fired in San Diego (which WILL happen)

2) Draft the premier OT on the board with your first pick (Trent Williams most likely
as I think the team will keep Staley at LT and want a run dominating RT)

3) Draft CJ Spiller with 2nd pick of rd 1 ( changed my mind here but I think the Niners
have to get an electric 3rd down back who can return kicks)

4) Draft the top passrusher available in round 2: (Jerry Hughes, Greg Hardy,Eric Norwood, Brandon Graham, or Sergio Kindle) One of them has to be there in rd 2

5) Round 3.. Draft the top OG on the board. (Mike Johnson Bama or John Jerry Mississippi)

Free Agency can alter those picks some but that would be my priorties .

Ahh yes, the exact recipe that I had been preaching now for weeks. I totally agree with your picks except for one thing: Spiller being the 2nd 1st rounder selected. It may still be a possibility, but he's climbing up draft boards. The good thing is that tackles such as Anthony Davis, Charles Brown, Bruce Campbell, and Jason Fox are moving up as well. I was thinking of selecting Spiller first then Anthony Davis second as our run blocking RT.

Of course this is all just a mock until we get a better view of where Carolina's pick stands.

There are very few elite tackles this year thats for sure. If the Niners believe Williams , Brown, or someone else is an elite lineman and head and shoulders above the rest then they should use the first pick there. That has to be the #1 prioity for this team.

I think both of the Niners picks are going to fall somewhere between 10 and 20. I do not in any way see us getting a top 10 pick. Carolina isnt great this year but there are 9 horrible teams in football right now.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ersfan80:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
We will go OT with the first pick. It'll be either Okung or Anthony Davis, depending on how sucky the Panthers finish this season. I love what I see out of Okung this year. He has done very well. I have not seen Anthony Davis play this year but I have read great things about him. And if these two are gone, you still have Trent Williams, Charles Brown, and maybe Bulaga who I think is overrated.

With the second first rounder, it's looking most likely pass rusher. I believe Greg Hardy to be the best pass rusher in this draft but he has some durability and character concerns. Jerry Hughes is a solid prospect. Sergio Kindle is highly overrated. The most intriguing guy to me is Von Miller. He is leading the country in sacks and is a relentless player.

With all those names out there, there is still one guy who I feel would be an awesome fit in our defense and better than all of the defensive guys I listed above:

Terrence Cody. Can you imagine how good our run D will be with a legitimate 2gap nose tackle. Sure he is only a two down player and you'd have to take him out on pass downs, but there is no inside running game when he is in there. I would love to have Anthony Davis and Terrence Cody as our first round picks!!!

Yah instead of being #2 in run defense we could be #1.

Nothing against Franklin as he has done a great job. But if a young version of Jamal/Pat Williams is there with the second first rounder you have to take him.

Honestly, I'd pass on Cody in the first round, especially when Hampton and Wilfork will be available. But I also do think if Franklin's price range is a bit too high we will just go out and sign Wilfork (if not franchised) or Casey Hampton. If Franklin's price range is within McCloughan's spending range, Franklin will be signed and we will drfta another NT, possibly on the second day of the draft.
IMO, there is no clear dominant pass rusher in this draft. Also, not one player that won't need 2-3 years to really get it going. So the "pressing" need for one isn't a priority.

I think LT is the BIGGEST need. However, I think corner is right there as well. Walt Harris, Nate Clements, and even Bly are huge question marks. Harris could come back but only as a Nickel a injury starter. I think you can say the same for Bly. Clements could be gone because I think he is better of at FS.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Trent Williams/Anthony Davis & Derrick Morgan FTW.
We will go OT with the first pick. It'll be either Okung or Anthony Davis, depending on how sucky the Panthers finish this season. I love what I see out of Okung this year. He has done very well. I have not seen Anthony Davis play this year but I have read great things about him. And if these two are gone, you still have Trent Williams, Charles Brown, and maybe Bulaga who I think is overrated.

With the second first rounder, it's looking most likely pass rusher. I believe Greg Hardy to be the best pass rusher in this draft but he has some durability and character concerns. Jerry Hughes is a solid prospect. Sergio Kindle is highly overrated. The most intriguing guy to me is Von Miller. He is leading the country in sacks and is a relentless player.

With all those names out there, there is still one guy who I feel would be an awesome fit in our defense and better than all of the defensive guys I listed above:

Terrence Cody. Can you imagine how good our run D will be with a legitimate 2gap nose tackle. Sure he is only a two down player and you'd have to take him out on pass downs, but there is no inside running game when he is in there. I would love to have Anthony Davis and Terrence Cody as our first round picks!!!

Nothing against Franklin as he has done a great job. But if a young version of Jamal/Pat Williams is there with the second first rounder you have to take him.

Honestly, I'd pass on Cody in the first round, especially when Hampton and Wilfork will be available. But I also do think if Franklin's price range is a bit too high we will just go out and sign Wilfork (if not franchised) or Casey Hampton. If Franklin's price range is within McCloughan's spending range, Franklin will be signed and we will drfta another NT, possibly on the second day of the draft.

Franklin's play this season has earned him some big bucks. Good NT's are hard to find and his play this year has been very good, maybe even pro-bowl worthy. Most of the good 3/4 NT's play in the AFC so who knows... Regardless, he is due a big raise.

Some team will seriously over pay him, so we may have to tag him if we can't resign him.

My guess on what terms Franklin will expect.. 4 years, 25M, 15 guaranteed. If he were a true 2 gap NT, the price would be even higher
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

Franklin's play this season has earned him some big bucks. Good NT's are hard to find and his play this year has been very good, maybe even pro-bowl worthy. Most of the good 3/4 NT's play in the AFC so who knows... Regardless, he is due a big raise.

Some team will seriously over pay him, so we may have to tag him if we can't resign him.

My guess on what terms Franklin will expect.. 4 years, 25M, 15 guaranteed. If he were a true 2 gap NT, the price would be even higher

I think we should pay Franklin and keep him on the team. It would be good to draft a NT and develop him as Franklin's back up. How about the NT from Duke?
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

I think we should pay Franklin and keep him on the team. It would be good to draft a NT and develop him as Franklin's back up. How about the NT from Duke?

Tag him. Pay him. Whatever. Lets not go back to running a 3/4 without a nose tackle.

But all in favour of drafting a guy as his backup and eventual replacement
I say we lock Franklin up for a couple years & draft a replacement for him.
invest both our picks on the oline? however, i think we should fire our Oline coach.

And address other needs through FA?

I think that may be the plan.

[ Edited by ads_2006 on Nov 8, 2009 at 08:14:38 ]
We don't know if NE will let Wilfolk go but with Franklin playing this well I would rather sign him up for 3 years and draft a NT in training.

It is clear that we need Oline help. If we can get Mankins that would be great but I think draft will be the best way for us to go. Looks like the WZ is settling in on this group of five, for today anyway, Cody, Bulaga/Williams, Iupati, Hughes, Spiller. All of them we could use in a big way.

trent williams

and

lupati

Originally posted by ads_2006:
trent williams

and

lupati

I'm not buying Williams just yet. He's not mauling run blocker people make him out to be. Oklahoma is 60th in rushing offense.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
trent williams

and

lupati

I'm not buying Williams just yet. He's not mauling run blocker people make him out to be. Oklahoma is 60th in rushing offense.

Ok

Okung

and

Lupati

this years qb class isnt looking that good either

Jake Locker anyone?
this years qb class isnt looking that good either

Jake Locker anyone?

Really?

I think there are a number of solid QB's. Not 1 that really stands out but Bradford, McCoy, Locker, Clausen, Pike, Tebow, and a few more. I wouldnt waste a first round pick but maybe a 2nd or 3rd. they will be available
Share 49ersWebzone