LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Sports Illustrated Power Rankings

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Peter King ranks the 49ers 19th of 32 teams. 7 spots behind Seattle. Thoughts?

Link
[ Edited by jrg on May 17, 2010 at 10:11 AM ]
Im not saying this just cuz where he ranked us but ive always hated Peter King
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I'm sure there are a hundred valid reasons you can make for the Niners to not win the division.

But having Seattle win the division is not one of them.
I understand his reasoning, it's all on Alex's shoulders and Alex hasn't proven that he can lead a team to a division win or the playoffs.
I really don't put a lot of stock in anything Peter King says.

But, putting that aside, I can see how people were drooling over Seattle's draft, especially since they did a fine job this year. But, overall, I don't rank Seattle that high just because they had a good offseason - although they have a lot of new offensive skill players I'm not sold on their O-line holding up and giving Hasselbeck time.
meh. I just read this too. I think King gets swept up by many of the "celebrity personalities" in the league and drools all over them. He is right in the fact that Alex Smith is the x-factor, but i still can't imagine us finishing behind Seattle.
Hasselback is the only QB in the division worth putting any faith into as of right now. I can see how folks would take Seattle b/c this a a qb league first and fore most. Your team will go as far as your qb takes you. If they can protect him he's easily the best qb in the division. Having the best qb masks a lot of problems. See 2nd game against Seattle for evidence. Even the 1st game vs Seattle was tough til Hasselback was broke in half by Willis. I don't understand them beign rated this highly league wide though. That's a King stretch
[ Edited by lamontb on May 17, 2010 at 10:19 AM ]
Quote:
24. Detroit. If the Lions were in the NFC West, they might win it this year. They're making significant progress -- assuming Ndamukong Suh is the genuine item and Kyle Vanden Bosch has something left.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/05/16/ranking/2.html#ixzz0oCzTUJcW
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

lol
[ Edited by BirdmanJr on May 17, 2010 at 10:26 AM ]
f**k Jon Daly.
He writes such crap. "... impenetrable tackels", Snyder gave up 9 sacks by himself! AT the end of the season we should Email him and SI to remind them of their prediction expertise.

• jrg
  • Veteran
Green Bay #1?
These rankings are a joke.
I wrote Peter to tell him I thought SF would be the team to beat, not Seattle...I know Carroll's bringing in a winning attitude and they've had a successful off-season, but I feel Singletary's closer to getting over the hump than the 'Hawks. I read a lot of his columns...and he's a very good sportswriter, but is undoubtedly an East Coast homer. If you look at his top 10 list, there's only one West Coast team...the Chargers. He has the Raiders winning only 5 games because in his eyes neither Gradkowski nor Campbell is good enough to win more. I disagree...their defense is good and they simply need some consistent QBing and they can fairly easily be at least an 8-8 team. I make that point only to illustrate what I mean about Peter favoring East Coast teams.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He writes such crap. "... impenetrable tackels", Snyder gave up 9 sacks by himself! AT the end of the season we should Email him and SI to remind them of their prediction expertise.

I believe he was talking about our DT's.
Quote:
"But Alex Smith is the quarterback and Donovan McNabb isn't, and that will likely be the difference between winning a division and finishing second."

Share 49ersWebzone