3rd Shonn Greene
4th Louis Vasquez
5th Jasper Brinkley
6th Chris Baker
7th Alex Boone
Comp pick
5thDavid Bruton
7thKhalif Mitchell

I think after one season I do believe I did a pretty good job picking up talent and difference makers on both sides of the field. But even with that I only got one pick right (2 were picked up as UDFA).

So what the hell, Lets do this again.

1st Round
13 C.J. Spiller | RB/WR/KR/PR | Clemson

What Spiller brings to the table is that spark that can take over a game in one play. Whether it be returning a kickoff, being on the field as our #3/4 WR or giving Gore a breather, Spiller can change a game. CJ Spiller is everything Reggie Bush wanted to be. Or to make it easier, CJ Spiller is what Reggie Bush can be, if he ever starts breaking tackles

16/17 Taylor Mays | Safety | USC

My original choice was OT. I do believe everyone's thinking OT in the 1st, but after thinking about it, I decided to take a unique route. The consensus safety selection is Earl Thomas. When I see Earl Thomas, I see Mike Huff. So I decided to take the zones most underrated player. He has the size, he has the speed, and he has the tools. I am of the belief that the 1st round is for play makers and Mays can be our Bob Sanders

2nd Round
17 Vladimir Ducasse | OT/OG | UMass

He's big, He's strong, and he's raw. The longer he plays the better he will get. He is no where near his ceiling and can easily turn out to be the best OT taken in this years draft.

3rd Round
15 Greg Hardy | DE | Ole Miss

Once considered a top talent and 1st round selection. His downfall came mainly because of his health issues and inconsistent play. Even with a season cut short Hardy was the leading sack and QB pressure source for Ole Miss when he played. Talent is talent, and maybe standing him up might help him stay healthy.

4th Round
15 Ciron Black | OT/G | LSU

Started 53 games at LT. Named the 2009 Jacobs Blocking Trophy, which goes to the top offensive lineman in the SEC as voted on by the league’s coaches. He isn't the greatest athlete, so some believe he will be moved either to RT or inside to OG. Scott McC loves dersitility and he gets it here adding Black and Ducasse

5th Round

14 Linval Joseph | DT | East Carolina

Excellent size for a NT. Every year in college his stats have continued to get better and better. Came out as a Junior, would of possibly gone much higher if he would of stayed. His mistake is our gain.

6th Round

13 Clifton Geathers | DE | South Carolina

Excellent size and has excellent blood lines to go along with it. His older brother is a OT for the Bengals, and his uncle was an All-Pro DL

7th Round

17 Sherrick McManis | CB | Northwestern

Good size and speed, fighting through injuries yet still managed to earned first-team all-Big Ten honors from the media (and second-team status from the coaches). And his nickname is Batman.
Cool formatting with the photos...I just don't see us taking Spiller and a S in the first...we need to draft an OT even if he's the 3rd or 4th best one available. I love the idea of having Spiller though, no doubt.

I'm still a fan of the OT/Spiller or Spiller/OT combo.

Also not a huge Taylor Mays fan.
[ Edited by Leathaface on Feb 9, 2010 at 2:02 AM ]
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
There isn't much room on the defensive line so adding t players there seems a bit much. I would take off one of the defensive linemen and replace them with a wide receiver, preferably with return abilities. Other than that I like the unique approach.
Originally posted by 23zack80:
There isn't much room on the defensive line so adding t players there seems a bit much. I would take off one of the defensive linemen and replace them with a wide receiver, preferably with return abilities. Other than that I like the unique approach.

DL is a question mark still IMO. RJF was a rookie, Balmer hasn't bone anything, Evans is nothing special, Ray Mac is nothing more then a back up. Franklin is good but he's getting up there in age and his best year was a contract year (never a good sign). Adding and creating competition is what makes a unit better.

I was looking for a WR, but I didn't really find a later round WR I feel in love with (no homo). I like Zigler and I'm confident he would make a bigger impact then any drafted WR outside of the 1st round guys
Like the Spiller pick.

Hate the Mays pick.
He's big, He's strong, and he's raw. The longer he plays the better he will get. He is no where near his ceiling and can easily turn out to be the best OT taken in this years draft.

They said the same thing about Chilo Rachal last year..
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Like the Spiller pick.

Hate the Mays pick.

THIS
I dig the change of pace, but Wild Turkey, huh?

Yup, just a little too much for ya when you made the Mays pick.

Really, Mays? With possibly D. Williams, Graham, Dunlop, Bulaga, T. Williams, Thomas or Iupati still on the board?

I don't know about that one man. I remember last year there were so many on his nuts and now look what one Senior year can do to your stock. If we didn't need immediate contribution and we were at a place to develop players, sure. But, we are not and I don't think he would be able to unseat M. Lewis anyway.

I like Ducasse, but he's definitely raw and will need some time to develop into a high caliber starter.

To me, switch the rounds. Draft that RT at #16/17 with Trent Williams as I think he will be the best RT of the OTs who's much more talented and experienced at RT than Ducasse.

Then take C. Jones, in the second who matches physically with Mays, but a much better all around prospect with good coverage skills.

I know, I know...its the Turkey Hangover talkin'...
I don't see Ducasse being the best OT in this draft at all. Selecting Mays over an o-lineman like Davis, Bulaga, or Iupati is irresponsible as a GM IMO considering how bad our right side was. With a lot of talented safeties in the 2nd round like Nate Allen, Chad Jones, and Morgan Burnett, we can steer clear of Mays in the 1st and take a safety in the 2nd.

I don't mind the Spiller pick at all.
One of the more entertaining mocks.

I don't like the Mays pick bc the tackle you selected in the 2nd round is raw like you said. What if he is too raw and can't contribute for a year? Then we are stuck with the same line as last year. I just don't want to take that chance.

Also you said when you see Earl Thomas you see Mike Huff. I see Darnell Bing when I see Mays.

Originally posted by King49er:

They said the same thing about Chilo Rachal last year..

You mean 2008, but Ducasse has experiance at OT and OG, while Chilo was primarily a OG at USC. Ducasse is better then Chilo in my opinion.
Originally posted by miked1978:
One of the more entertaining mocks.

I don't like the Mays pick bc the tackle you selected in the 2nd round is raw like you said. What if he is too raw and can't contribute for a year? Then we are stuck with the same line as last year. I just don't want to take that chance.

Also you said when you see Earl Thomas you see Mike Huff. I see Darnell Bing when I see Mays.

That's why Black was selected later. As a LT for LSU with 53 starts Black was a team leader and very well experianced against top talent.
Taylor Mays!
THE MOST UNDER RATE PROSPECT OF 2010

Are there a lot of questions about this guy? Yes, of course there is. Coming back for his senior year brought tons of pressure and placed him under a huge microscope. And I truly believe most of his "struggles" come from scheme and not ability. As a freshman Mays had 3 INTs and from then on, he added only 2 more picks.

If you look at the USC defense you see Mays is constently asked to play deep center field. The idea was of course, keep it in front of us. Mays is very coachable and a team player, so he does as he's told, and I think samurai Mike would love having a guy like this on the team.

There is such a thing as over scouting, an I truly believe that is what's happened with Mays. A huge talent and everyone wants to find something wrong with something that looks great.

Let's not forget, that this was a "down" year for Taylor Mays. Yet knowing that, you can easily overlook the fact that Mays had a career high 96 tackles (30 more then any other year at USC)

Don't overlook this guy. I know there are questions but we should all know by now that there is no sure thing, no matter how great everyone thinks they are. I would really be more scared if there was no questions then a lot of questions. Why, you may ask, well it's because it always seems to be that "future HOF" prospect that falls flat on his face. All these questions will just motivate him that much more.

And hell just for s**ts and giggles

Quote:
Negatives: ...Not a real ballhawk. Misses plays because he is out of position. Does not read keys well and diagnose. Struggles covering man deep. Plays out of control and lacks great change of direction... Gets carried away. Prefers setting up a well-timed hit to break up a play over going for an interception...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/tracker/player?id=6771

definatly not the same player, but a good way to show why over scouting can be bad
Love the Greg Hardy pick up in the 4th. Good all around mock even with Mays
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Taylor Mays!
THE MOST UNDER RATE PROSPECT OF 2010

Are there a lot of questions about this guy? Yes, of course there is. Coming back for his senior year brought tons of pressure and placed him under a huge microscope. And I truly believe most of his "struggles" come from scheme and not ability. As a freshman Mays had 3 INTs and from then on, he added only 2 more picks.

If you look at the USC defense you see Mays is constently asked to play deep center field. The idea was of course, keep it in front of us. Mays is very coachable and a team player, so he does as he's told, and I think samurai Mike would love having a guy like this on the team.

There is such a thing as over scouting, an I truly believe that is what's happened with Mays. A huge talent and everyone wants to find something wrong with something that looks great.

Let's not forget, that this was a "down" year for Taylor Mays. Yet knowing that, you can easily overlook the fact that Mays had a career high 96 tackles (30 more then any other year at USC)

Don't overlook this guy. I know there are questions but we should all know by now that there is no sure thing, no matter how great everyone thinks they are. I would really be more scared if there was no questions then a lot of questions. Why, you may ask, well it's because it always seems to be that "future HOF" prospect that falls flat on his face. All these questions will just motivate him that much more.

And hell just for s**ts and giggles

Quote:
Negatives: ...Not a real ballhawk. Misses plays because he is out of position. Does not read keys well and diagnose. Struggles covering man deep. Plays out of control and lacks great change of direction... Gets carried away. Prefers setting up a well-timed hit to break up a play over going for an interception...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/tracker/player?id=6771

definatly not the same player, but a good way to show why over scouting can be bad

To make things fair, even though I'm one of the people that would be upset if we drafted Mays in the 1st, I wouldn't mind if we selected him in the 2nd. I highly doubt he falls that far but that's the highest I would take him.

He does seem very coachable and Im sure he listened a lot to what Mike Nolan had to say during Senior Bowl week. I don't think he would be that bad, but I would probably compare him to another Michael Lewis. Plays close to the line of scrimmage to make plays on the running back. He won't be like Ed Reed or Polamalu.
Share 49ersWebzone