There are 160 users in the forums

Safety in the 1st talk

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
This tweet by Maiocco should end pretty much all Mocks with Safeties as our 1st round pick(s):

Quote:
# Just know how 49ers, and most teams, value safeties and guards. Has to be special, special talent to be chosen in top 20 at those spots. about 9 hours ago from TweetDeck

Quote:
# @paulkapellas 49ers unlikely to pick safety in 1st. Probably not a S, other than Berry, 49ers would consider worthy in middle of 1st.

Link

Like I've said before, as much as I would LOVE to draft a Safety in the 1st, it is highly unlikely McCloughan will pull the trigger on one. Which IMO, I don't agree with. But since this draft is deep with Safeties, I think we'll be alright choosing one later on.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
This tweet by Maiocco should end pretty much all Mocks with Safeties as our 1st round pick(s):

Quote:
# Just know how 49ers, and most teams, value safeties and guards. Has to be special, special talent to be chosen in top 20 at those spots. about 9 hours ago from TweetDeck

Quote:
# @paulkapellas 49ers unlikely to pick safety in 1st. Probably not a S, other than Berry, 49ers would consider worthy in middle of 1st.

Link

Like I've said before, as much as I would LOVE to draft a Safety in the 1st, it is highly unlikely McCloughan will pull the trigger on one. Which IMO, I don't agree with. But since this draft is deep with Safeties, I think we'll be alright choosing one later on.

The 49ers are exceptionally smart for knowing Berry is the only one worthy of a top 20. Thomas is not. There are far too many top tier safeties that will be available later -- From Chad Jones to Reshad Jones to Nate Allen, Chancellor, Robert Johnson (who scouts think has too "stick-like" legs which could push him to the 5th or so), and many others.

We shouldn't be touching any safety besides Berry in the 1st.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Quote:

Quote:

Link

The 49ers are exceptionally smart for knowing Berry is the only one worthy of a top 20. Thomas is not. There are far too many top tier safeties that will be available later -- From Chad Jones to Reshad Jones to Nate Allen, Chancellor, Robert Johnson (who scouts think has too "stick-like" legs which could push him to the 5th or so), and many others.

There is NOOOOOO way Berry is there when we pick. Eric Berry is far superior talent to both LaRon Landry and Michael Huff who were pick at #6 and #7 , no way are we gonna smell Berry's jock at #13 that's for sure. And people hoping for a Crabtree drop. Two things come to mind, one, Berry isn't injured and WILL participate at the Combine. Two Berry doesn't have the Diva talk or whispers the way Crabtree had pre-draft. With that said, Morgan Burnett in the 2nd.
I like Morgan Burnett too. His numbers were down this year, but he didn't have a pass rush, so the whole secondary was exposed. As much as I like Burnett, if Devin McCourty CB, is still on the board, I take McCourty in the second.
Great news. No safety other than Berry is worth a top 20 pick when there are other safeties that can be had in later rounds.

Especially when we have much bigger needs.
[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Feb 8, 2010 at 11:07 PM ]

Quote:

Quote:

Link

There is NOOOOOO way Berry is there when we pick. Eric Berry is far superior talent to both LaRon Landry and Michael Huff who were pick at #6 and #7 , no way are we gonna smell Berry's jock at #13 that's for sure. And people hoping for a Crabtree drop. Two things come to mind, one, Berry isn't injured and WILL participate at the Combine. Two Berry doesn't have the Diva talk or whispers the way Crabtree had pre-draft. With that said, Morgan Burnett in the 2nd.

Exactly. Unless Berry tears ligaments (and even then) he would never make it to 13. He wouldn't even make it to #8. He won't get anywhere near our pick, which is why we will not and should not select any safety in the first, as he's the only safety that would be worth selecting with our pick.
So tired of seeing mocks that have us taking Taylor Mays with one of our firsts...that's just crazy talk.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
It's way too early to rule out a safety in a first round.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Hopper:
It's way too early to rule out a safety in a first round.

Trust me Hopper, I'd love to see us take one, but if it ain't Berry, than I seriously doubt McCloughan will draft any other.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
It's still way too early to totally rule it out before combine and pro days have arrived.

Originally posted by Hopper:
It's still way too early to totally rule it out before combine and pro days have arrived.

They only way we take berry is if mc grab's his balls and goes to trade up for him. But since this year he has 2 first he needs to grab 2 players who can start for us this year and push us to the playoffs otherwise he just might be out of a job..
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

Quote:

Quote:

Link

How about trading our #13 pick and #16/17 pick to move up and get Berry?

From the Draft Value Chart, (assuming we win the coin toss) we would be 50 points shy of the 3rd overall pick. haha
[ Edited by Kalen49ers on Feb 9, 2010 at 5:19 AM ]
Originally posted by Leathaface:
So tired of seeing mocks that have us taking Taylor Mays with one of our firsts...that's just crazy talk.

I am with you on this, but......Mays would make the nickel/dime package kind of interesting. Because of his size, you could put the 5th or 6th DB in pass coverage and truly move him to LB.
I'm fine with no safety in the 1st, there are many good ones we can choose in the 2nd to 5th rounds.
Share 49ersWebzone