The Prospects, Part 2: The RBs

• smileyman
  • Info N/A
The first topic in this series was on the QBs
The Prospects, Part 1: The QBs

C.J. Spiller, Clemson
5'11, 195 lbs
2009 stats:
Rushing--216 attempts, 1212 yards, 5.6 ypa. Longest run 66 yards. 12 TDs.
Receiving--36 receptions 503 yards. 14.0 ypc, long of 63 4 TDs.
Punt Return--14 returns, 210 yards, 1 TD, 6 Fair Catches. 15 yards per return
Kick Return--23 returns, 755 yards, 4 TDs. Long of 96 yards. 32.8 yards per return

2008 stats:
Rushing--116 attempts, 629 yards, 5.4 ypa. Longest run 57 yards. 7 TDs
Receiving--34 receptions, 436 yards. 12.8 ypc, long of 83 yards. 3 TDs
Punt Return--24 returns, 189 yards, 6 fair catches. 7.87 yards per return
Kick Return--19 returns, 516 yards, 1 TD, long of 96. 27.15 yards per return

Highlight video

Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech
6'1, 235 lbs
2009 stats:
Rushing--235 attempts, 1395 yards. 5.9 ypa, long of 74 yards. 14 TDs
Receiving--5 receptions, 37 yards, 7.4 ypc. Long of 21

2008 stats:
Rushing--200 attempts, 1395 yards. 7.0 ypa, long of 88 yards. 12 TDs
Receiving--8 receptions for 209 yards. 26.1 ypc, long of 79 yards. 1 TD
Kick Return--8 returns, 171 yards. 21.3 yards per return.
Video highlights

Jahvid Best, Cal
5'10, 195 lbs
2009 stats:
Rushing--141 attempts, 867 yards. 6.1 ypc, long of 93 yards. 12 TDs
Receiving--22 receptions, 213 yards. 9.7 ypc, long of 51 yards. 4 TDs
Kick Return--1 return, 18 yards.

2008 stats:
Rushing--194 attempts, 1580 yards. 8.1 ypc, long of 86 yards. 15 TDs
Receiving--27 receptions, 246 yards. 9.1 ypc, long of 42 yards. 1 TD

Video highlights

Ryan Matthews, Fresno State
5'11, 220 lbs
2009 stats:
Rushing--276 attempts, 1808 yards. 6.6 ypc, long of 77 yards. 19 TDs
Receiving--11 receptions, 122 yards. 11.1 ypc, long of 27 yards. 0 TDs

2008 stats:
Rushing--113 carries, 606 yards. 5.4 ypc, long of 49 yards. 6 TDs
Receiving--8 receptions, 146 yards. 18.3 ypc, long of 61. 2 TDs

Video highlights

Toby Gerhart, Stanford
6'1, 235 lbs
2009 stats:
Rushing--343 carries, 1871 yards. 5.5 ypc, long of 61yards. 27 TDs
Receiving--11 receptions, 157 yards. 14.3 ypc, long of 33.

2008 stats:
Rushing--210 carries, 1136 yards. 5.4 ypc, long of 46. 15 TDs
Receiving--13 receptions, 114 yards. 8.8 ypc, long of 21

Video highlights

Other names to watch out for: Dexter McCluster, Joe McKnight, Montario Hardesty,

[ Edited by smileyman on Jan 23, 2010 at 18:14:09 ]
looks good smileyman. I like them all.

I would love to get Dexter McCluster.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

I know lots of people think McCluster will go 3rd or 4th round but I think his stock has risen significantly with his performance in the bowl game. If he has a good combine he could go in the 2nd, maybe even the end of the 1st depending on which RBs get selected before him.

Toby Gerhart is a beast too.

Spiller is obviously the most well-rounded back as he can catch and run.
Originally posted by smileyman:

I know lots of people think McCluster will go 3rd or 4th round but I think his stock has risen significantly with his performance in the bowl game. If he has a good combine he could go in the 2nd, maybe even the end of the 1st depending on which RBs get selected before him.

Toby Gerhart is a beast too.

Spiller is obviously the most well-rounded back as he can catch and run.

Very nice. I want either Spiller & o-line in the 1st round or two o-lineman drafted.

Thats the one player I wan't the most and we can snag him the 2nd as long as he doesn't run a sub 4.3 forty.
Good stuff, but don't stop there. Throw in height, weight, and projected 40 time.

Also, there's a very good chance we only take an RB is he can double as a return man, so include PR and KR stats too.
Like the look of Mcluster as well.

Also I haven't seen much of Best (any of him tbh) but why are people not talking about picking him up in the 2nd? There is all this talk about Spiller using him as a third down and PR/KR, why not Best he looks very nippy and if we are going to have a situational player I would rather use a 2nd on them. Does anyone know how he is after the injury?
also, how quick is Jacoby Ford?!!!!
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by kunged:

Also I haven't seen much of Best (any of him tbh) but why are people not talking about picking him up in the 2nd? There is all this talk about Spiller using him as a third down and PR/KR, why not Best he looks very nippy and if we are going to have a situational player I would rather use a 2nd on them. Does anyone know how he is after the injury?

The problem with Best is that his injuries are concussions. If they were ankle or knee he might be worth a look in the 3rd or later, but concussion injuries stack up over time making it easier to get the next one.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by CornellU49er:
Good stuff, but don't stop there. Throw in height, weight, and projected 40 time.

Also, there's a very good chance we only take an RB is he can double as a return man, so include PR and KR stats too.

Good idea. I'll update this thread with that info and the height and weight info for the QBs as well.

The problem with Best is that his injuries are concussions. If they were ankle or knee he might be worth a look in the 3rd or later, but concussion injuries stack up over time making it easier to get the next one.

yeah, it is pretty annoying (even worse for him). Do you know how many he has had?

If we use him as a situational player (like a lot of people here would Spiller) surely it would lesson the chances of him getting concussion, as he wouldn't be a full time back.

Also I know this is a RB thread, but does anyone know the consensus round for Ford?
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

yeah, it is pretty annoying (even worse for him). Do you know how many he has had?

If we use him as a situational player (like a lot of people here would Spiller) surely it would lesson the chances of him getting concussion, as he wouldn't be a full time back.

At least three that I know of--two of them within a week of each other.

Quote:

Also I know this is a RB thread, but does anyone know the consensus round for Ford?

3rd right now, but that could raise signficantly with a good combine. I'll be doing a WR post in the next couple of days.

At least three that I know of--two of them within a week of each other.

Quote:

3rd right now, but that could raise signficantly with a good combine. I'll be doing a WR post in the next couple of days.

Awesome. Thanks for the adding the return stats. Are kick/punt return fumbles listed anywhere?

Looking forward to your WR thread.
We don't need a nother running back. I wouldn't pick a KR until the 3rd round or later.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
We don't need a nother running back. I wouldn't pick a KR until the 3rd round or later.

And the point of posting that here is?
Share 49ersWebzone