There are 194 users in the forums

Chad Jones for a safety?

Haven't heard much talk about Chad Jones of LSU, who's apparently declared for the draft. 6'3", 218, crazy fast. He's one of the more amazing two-sport athletes I've seen; just about single-handedly beat UT in the baseball world series last year, played outfield, hit for power, then pitched a couple of innings of shutout relief, showing off a 90+mph fastball. Then he made a number of astoundingly athletic plays in football games last season, at clutch times, and had a 93-yard punt return to win the Mississippi State game. Doesn't sound like he'll be a first-rounder. Could he be a possibility for us in the 2nd (or 3rd?) if we go, say, Davis or Williams or Bulaga/then Spiller in the first? He'd bring speed, a punt-returner, has great hands, only played about a season and a half, could have major upside. Thoughts from the draft gurus?
Sounds like a good prospect.
Yes please! This draft class got really deep with Safety prospects with all the underclassmen declaring. IMO Jones would have been a first rounder next year had he stayed in school. After the combine, I doubt he'll fall to the 3rd but he is definitely worth the Niners 2nd round pick.

Jones is VERY raw as a safety, but is an incredible athlete (even kicked in as a returner)...I wouldn't be surprised if he snuck in to the late 1st for a team that is looking to groom a FS/SS combo.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Jones is VERY raw as a safety, but is an incredible athlete (even kicked in as a returner)...I wouldn't be surprised if he snuck in to the late 1st for a team that is looking to groom a FS/SS combo.

im from LA and watch LSU football..i think he would be a steal , great player
I guess he might not get past the Saints in rd. 1. They'd be patient and groom him to be Darren Sharper II. Still, I'm putting him in with Nate Allen and Reshad Jones as a possible for us.
I wonder what kind of baseball prospect Jones is. I wonder if we draft him will he want to play professional baseball.
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
I wonder what kind of baseball prospect Jones is. I wonder if we draft him will he want to play professional baseball.

Funny you ask. As a left handed power pitcher who can hit the strike zone, and played for a perrenial good major college team, he can probably have a long and
lucrative career as a baseball player.

[ Edited by Negrodamus on Jan 18, 2010 at 10:14:42 ]
Originally posted by rivercity:
Haven't heard much talk about Chad Jones of LSU, who's apparently declared for the draft. 6'3", 218, crazy fast. He's one of the more amazing two-sport athletes I've seen; just about single-handedly beat UT in the baseball world series last year, played outfield, hit for power, then pitched a couple of innings of shutout relief, showing off a 90+mph fastball. Then he made a number of astoundingly athletic plays in football games last season, at clutch times, and had a 93-yard punt return to win the Mississippi State game. Doesn't sound like he'll be a first-rounder. Could he be a possibility for us in the 2nd (or 3rd?) if we go, say, Davis or Williams or Bulaga/then Spiller in the first? He'd bring speed, a punt-returner, has great hands, only played about a season and a half, could have major upside. Thoughts from the draft gurus?

he absolutely dominated and took over that Mississippi State game...on MSUs last drive they got near LSU goalline and on 3rd down Jones batted down a pass in the end zone, and on 4th down stuffed the goalline run

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

The more I read & see on this kid, he seems like he would be a very nice fit to take over for Michael Lewis. I think he would also be a very nice combo with Dashon Goldson.
I wonder where he will be on MadDog's big board
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Unfortunately I remember him in the CWS. I would think he'd lean more towards baseball: more lucrative, longer career, less injury risk.
Chad is just incredibly talented. In terms of talent, he grades to a 1st rounder to me. Now will he be selected there? I don't know, but it's possible. He will probably go somewhere in the second because of that immense talent and great size/speed combination.

He tackles with ferocity, and is a devastating hitter in the open field. I would love it if we snagged him in the 2nd.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Chad is just incredibly talented. In terms of talent, he grades to a 1st rounder to me. Now will he be selected there? I don't know, but it's possible. He will probably go somewhere in the second because of that immense talent and great size/speed combination.

He tackles with ferocity, and is a devastating hitter in the open field. I would love it if we snagged him in the 2nd.

Very nice post OTC! I would really like to pick this kid up after watching some videos on him.
Share 49ersWebzone