LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 216 users in the forums

Rolando McClain?

The mock draft linked below has us taking ILB Rolando McClain with our second 1st rounder. I've heard McClain compared to Willis -- so that would give us the most dominant ILB combo...ever? With that ILB combo, our OLBs won't even need to play the run... they can pin their ears back and rush the passer.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2010/2010-nfl-mock-draft.cfm?writer=19
Our Outside LB are average at best. I think McClain is incredible. I've seen it mentioned that he could also lpay OLB. We still need to get someone who is a force on the outside.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Our Outside LB are average at best. I think McClain is incredible. I've seen it mentioned that he could also lpay OLB. We still need to get someone who is a force on the outside.

Yes -- but has anybody ran a 3-4 defense with 2 all-pro inside linebackers?

I cannot even imagine what it'd look like. Perhaps like Baltimore did when Bart Scott was still in town.

With two star ILBs, each of them can cheat a little towards the pass and the sideline. Makes your OLBs look a lot better -- they can focus on the pass rush.
My first reaction was 'or we could just acquire better pass rushers at OLB' but then you made the connection to Bart Scott and Ray Lewis....

That alone is enough to convince me, except that we kinda need to fix our OL.
IF....and this is a big IF, if Bryant and Berry are gone McClain would be very hard to pass up. I hope he stays for his senior year so we can target him next year but if he declares he is a legitimate option for the "luxury" pick.
did somebody say Rolando McClain. oh trust me he's going to be in SF come next yr. Boy is a baller. we need someone to groom to take over for TKO.

"Yippee ki-yay, motherfocker!"
Picking him with our second #1 pick would be history repeating itself. No one expected Crabtree to be there at #10, but they took him anyway as the BPA. Having McClain next to Willis behind Franklin would make our defense very tough up the middle. Anything is possible.....
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Picking him with our second #1 pick would be history repeating itself. No one expected Crabtree to be there at #10, but they took him anyway as the BPA. Having McClain next to Willis behind Franklin would make our defense very tough up the middle. Anything is possible.....

With that middle 5, we would be unstoppable in the middle. We would rarely have to put up an 8-man front and could even play a higher percentage of nickel defenses. On Nickel, McClain would roll out to OLB (which he can play) and we'd play a 3-3-5 defense. But staying in your base defense (7-man front), even in running situations, would be huge.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

His teamate Hightower is who you want if you are looking for an OLB.
We'll be great on 1st and 2nd down, but get shredded on 3rd downs. With possibly McKillop tying up blockers on the inside for Willis to make the tackles next year, I'll take the 2nd best pass rusher available over the top ILB available.

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Good player, but we have bigger needs. Plus if/ when we get a new coach and ditch the 3-4 we'll have no need for 2 ILBs.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Good player, but we have bigger needs. Plus if/ when we get a new coach and ditch the 3-4 we'll have no need for 2 ILBs.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Well we did try to draft Rey Maualuga last year, so I wouldn't doubt McCloughan passing him up if hes there in the 2nd, but not the 1st.
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
We'll be great on 1st and 2nd down, but get shredded on 3rd downs. With possibly McKillop tying up blockers on the inside for Willis to make the tackles next year, I'll take the 2nd best pass rusher available over the top ILB available.

Why do you think that? If we're better on 1st and 2nd down, we'll have more managable 3rd downs (more 3rd and 7s than 3rd and 3s).

On third down, McClain and Willis can cover better than a 3-4 OLB...that means a tall, awkward 3-4 OLB pass rusher will come out of the game instead of our ILB.

What's the issue?
Very good player no doubt. However, drafting an ILB when the team has much greater needs on the OL, at OLB, and in the secondary makes no sense in my opinion. We are fine at ILB.
Share 49ersWebzone