There are 169 users in the forums

Does this season remind you of recent years? start strong then fade?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does this season remind you of recent years? start strong then fade?

[ Edited by 2cents on Oct 12, 2009 at 21:20:37 ]
No, not really.
  • stewama
  • Info N/A
Because there have been so many strong starts in recent years?

• BobS
  • Veteran
Start strong? You mean record wise? I would not even consider 3-1 a strong start since it was attained with a very low ranked offense. This is a mediocre team no better, it is what it is. That 250 yards of offense a game with a top ten defense will get you 8-8 I think the last game woke a lot of dreamers up, they were just looking at 3-1
and figured multiplied by 4 was 12-4, I guess. I was stunned how high everyone was before the 45-10 thrashing. This team was 7-9 last year and did not make any major personnel changes Singletary's magic is not going to make them contenders with out better players.
No, but I do apologize for my comments about Sing. After the ridiculous loss, I've come to terms that Sing is a good coach. He may not have all the schemes and plays down yet, but he is a damn good coach. So, here's to Sing's future, may it be a long one.

As for my comments on Shaun Hill, I stick to them.
doh I was going to post last week but thought better not.

The 49ers have managed good Septembers and Decembers in this long drought....what we have never had in this drought is good Octobers and Novembers
If anything, it will be like last season. This team will come on strong after the Bye week. MARK MY WORDS!
In some ways it does. But our wins have been a little more impressive than in the past.

Unfortunately, we might have the worst offense in the league. At least judging it by three n' outs.

For years, I've been saying, what's most important, is playing WELL. Not wins.

If you play well, your season looks bright, if you get early wins, but don't play well, your season does not look bright.

For the most part, we have played well on defense (better than in the past), but our offense is going three n' out FAR too much for us to look forward to the playoffs this season.

I'll just say it. This "philosophy" (of running and being predictable) has never been and never will be a winning philosophy. **

** ONE exception. The Dallas Cowboys built a dynasty where they WERE predictable on offense. The only thing was, you could not stop them because they had BY FAR the best offensive line in NFL history. Shear talent made up for their predictable play calling.
NO, because we already have 50% of the division in our pocket. That's something neither Nolan, nor Erickson could accomplish within their first 8 weeks of coaching the 49ers.

People are f**king stupid, they're all picking Seattle and Zona after one week to win the division after beating s**tty teams with home-field advantage. We have too much football left to start crowing those c********rs after one crappy game.

Sure, we can't beat strong teams outside of the NFC West, but all that counts right now is that we beat every team in the NFC West, and thus far we've over-achieved that sentiment.

Say whatever you may, but we're only 3 more division wins, and 2 gimme wins from going to the playoffs.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
NO, because we already have 50% of the division in our pocket. That's something neither Nolan, nor Erickson could accomplish within their first 8 weeks of coaching the 49ers.

People are f**king stupid, they're all picking Seattle and Zona after one week to win the division after beating s**tty teams with home-field advantage. We have too much football left to start crowing those c********rs after one crappy game.

Sure, we can't beat strong teams outside of the NFC West, but all that counts right now is that we beat every team in the NFC West, and thus far we've over-achieved that sentiment.

Say whatever you may, but we're only 3 more division wins, and 2 gimme wins from going to the playoffs.

The team is 3-2 i don't they they have faded at all. they caught a beat down yesterday not doubt. But the Niners are at best a .500 team imo. This is why there was no moral vitory at all in that Vikings lose. THat could come back to haunt them. But so far I'm a lot more optimistic than I was before the season. This team is what it is. I think folks on this site while always bashing the media got caught up in the hype. But one lose isn't the end of the season.
Originally posted by BobS:
Start strong? You mean record wise? I would not even consider 3-1 a strong start since it was attained with a very low ranked offense. This is a mediocre team no better, it is what it is. That 250 yards of offense a game with a top ten defense will get you 8-8 I think the last game woke a lot of dreamers up, they were just looking at 3-1
and figured multiplied by 4 was 12-4, I guess. I was stunned how high everyone was before the 45-10 thrashing. This team was 7-9 last year and did not make any major personnel changes Singletary's magic is not going to make them contenders with out better players.

So how do you explain the much better defensive play with the same exact players. As a matter of fact we are viewed as contenders right now so maybe Sing's magic did do that
I don't want drive myself crazy trying to figure all of this out...but teams are only as good as their last game, and that's all until Houston.

• dust-7
  • Info N/A
I said - kind of.

Obviously, the D has taken a step back. It cost us the game. 25 points? The difference at the half. You're asking Steve or Joe to produce an additional three TDs and a FG, basically in the 2nd quarter. We all KNOW our O doesn't have Joe or Steve, and isn't yet comparable to those WCO teams. We don't even employ the WCO.

The D, meanwhile, had been ranked very high. When it develops in the wrong direction - that's a bad thing when playing what is likely a play-off caliber team (something we thought the 49ers might be this year). Hopefully we'll see domination against Houston. But we'll get the next test of contender or pretender against Indy. Then we'll see.

But I said - kind of - because if anyone remembers those two early Nowin wins, everyone was saying - what luck. How lucky the 49ers were to win. There wasn't luck in AZ. There was just Justin Smith. There wasn't luck with the Rams. The 49ers made the Rams doubt themselves. Seahawks - much the same. Those were - win-wins, not 'Nowins'.

So it's very different. And I truly believe that this team would have to lose a fair number of starters, and totally collapse, in order to go less . . . than 9-7, this year, considering the schedule. But to go 11-5, that's the difference is having the team prepared to play. Again, we'll see.
Share 49ersWebzone