LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

Enough Offense, What about the D????

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Every year since P.Willy has played, he's said the following. We will be one of the top Defenses in the league. And every year i expect that. I expect our defense to be just as good as the Jets, or the Ravens (even without Reed). They say P.Willy is the closest thing to R.Lewis.

Now for the actuality. We know how good we are against the run. Its been proven the past few years. But for one reason or another why do we always break down, and give up at least 2 to 3 big plays a game. Not even scores all the time, but just the overall big play.

In watching the game last night. they scored 10 damn points. 10. And the Ravens D, didnt break at any point. yes, Sanchez got in the red zone a few times, but the D held. No given up big plays. Constant pressure on the QB, held the run.

Im saying to myself Damn. on the jets and ravens side. I want a defense like that. That may bend, but doesnt break. Regardless of the Offense Struggles, the Ravens know and believe if they hold their own, no one can beat em. We dont have that moxy on defense. We got great players dont get me wrong, but why dont i ever see our D look like that.

Why if the offense did nothing in our games, we say hey our players are tired, and since the O cant produce, the D is tired. Smith throws 2 int's. one score was run back (cant help that one), and the other f**king Hasselback ran on us. Flacco had a fumble, and an INT, and the defense held the Jets regardless. I never saw them slow down, never saw them tire. Played with the same Fire they started the game with, regardless of how the O did.

Our offense even tho they didnt score much, had the TOP the entire first half in Seattle. So if anything the Defense should of had tons of energy. But we still got burned on long plays, let them convert key 3rd and longs. I just dont understand, if we have such a great D, then why cant we play just like the Ravens and Jets, and never lose that Fire, regardless of the circumstances. With us, regardless of this last game, going to last year, we just burn out at times. Is it mental, is it conditioning, I dont know.

any thoughts?
People would rather blame Alex Smith then think about our d not doing as well as we think they should. They were terrible IMO.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Every year since P.Willy has played, he's said the following. We will be one of the top Defenses in the league. And every year i expect that. I expect our defense to be just as good as the Jets, or the Ravens (even without Reed). They say P.Willy is the closest thing to R.Lewis.

Now for the actuality. We know how good we are against the run. Its been proven the past few years. But for one reason or another why do we always break down, and give up at least 2 to 3 big plays a game. Not even scores all the time, but just the overall big play.

In watching the game last night. they scored 10 damn points. 10. And the Ravens D, didnt break at any point. yes, Sanchez got in the red zone a few times, but the D held. No given up big plays. Constant pressure on the QB, held the run.

Im saying to myself Damn. on the jets and ravens side. I want a defense like that. That may bend, but doesnt break. Regardless of the Offense Struggles, the Ravens know and believe if they hold their own, no one can beat em. We dont have that moxy on defense. We got great players dont get me wrong, but why dont i ever see our D look like that.

Why if the offense did nothing in our games, we say hey our players are tired, and since the O cant produce, the D is tired. Smith throws 2 int's. one score was run back (cant help that one), and the other f**king Hasselback ran on us. Flacco had a fumble, and an INT, and the defense held the Jets regardless. I never saw them slow down, never saw them tire. Played with the same Fire they started the game with, regardless of how the O did.

Our offense even tho they didnt score much, had the TOP the entire first half in Seattle. So if anything the Defense should of had tons of energy. But we still got burned on long plays, let them convert key 3rd and longs. I just dont understand, if we have such a great D, then why cant we play just like the Ravens and Jets, and never lose that Fire, regardless of the circumstances. With us, regardless of this last game, going to last year, we just burn out at times. Is it mental, is it conditioning, I dont know.

any thoughts?

Our secondary is really really bad against the pass. Nate gambles far too much, especially for a guy that doesn't really pick the ball off very often at all. Shawnte is OK, but he's not a great corner that some have made him out to be. The other thing is coaching. Seattle had a backup in at LT, and yet we failed to generate a sack for most of the game. I know our OLB are good enough to beat a backup on a thin OL. If Rex was playing this SEA team he would overload the left side so hard that they would be forced to adjust, our coaching staff, however, only makes a gameplan based on what we want to do, and not what's going to make our opponents uncomfortable. This manifests itself in our offensive as well as defensive shortcomings. But mostly, our secondary is WEAK!
First play of the game with the pick

Nothing wrong with that.

Nobody remembers the wins here in ninertalk
  • Apone
  • Veteran
Nate is to concerned with padding his stat line. Spencer is serviceable but nothing great. Lewis couldn't catch Jimmy Valmer if his life defended on it. You fix our secondary then we might have a top-10 defense.

[ Edited by Apone on Sep 14, 2010 at 08:15:27 ]
Ray Lewis is the best LB in the game
Originally posted by Apone:
Nate is to concerned with padding his stat line. Spencer is serviceable but nothing great. Lewis couldn't catch Jimmy Valmer if his life defended on it. You fix our secondary then we might have a top-10 defense.

So with Nate being so concerned with padding his stats, how do you think he will do with all the double moves that the Saints WR's like to run. Brees is one of the best at baiting DB's and if what you say is true, it might be a long day for him.
I gotta agree that our D was a big let down (obviously). The thing I notice about our D compared to the Ravens or Jets, is that the Niners D never plays angry. When you watch our D, you dont see them fired up like you see the other defenses. They have the talent, and Willis could be as good as Ray Lewis some day, but you rarely see them play with the fire that the Ravens play with. Maybe after this blow out that will change some.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Ray Lewis is the best LB in the game

Women love him.

Men want to be him.

Animals want to learn to talk , just to hang out with him.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah because the niners DIDNT win. that INT was more like a "moment"

Originally posted by defenderDX:

Nothing wrong with that.

But....but....but......we have Frank Gore!?!?!?!?!?!

Nothing wrong with that.

No s**t he meant that ninertalk in general doesn't really have anything positive to say about what we do well on the field week in and week out..everybody whines and b***hes all week after a loss. He's talking about Niner games in general not just seattle
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

Nothing wrong with that.

No s**t he meant that ninertalk in general doesn't really have anything positive to say about what we do well on the field week in and week out..everybody whines and b***hes all week after a loss. He's talking about Niner games in general not just seattle

I'm cool.
We only gave up 242 yards which was 6th best in the league. The defense gave up 24 points but 10 of those points was in garbage time. I'm not too worried about our D.

We had a couple of breakdowns with the corners trying to get pick 6's that led to 14 points, and towards the end the defense gave up with the rest of team.
Share 49ersWebzone