LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

a cap question for AB83RULES or anyone familiar with the cap

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I know this is a crabtree question and might be locked or merged but it is pretty specific. If he doesn't sign do we get that money for the pick next year or can we use it in free agency

[ Edited by LB49ers on Sep 7, 2009 at 18:06:05 ]
both
as of now we have about 55M in cap room, if theres a cap in 2010.

As for the question, we wont get anything in compensation for crabtree.
^

We haven't spent anything on him yet so technically it would be more money towards next year. However, we have plenty for next year (as AB says 55 million) so I'd rather use that extra little bit for Crabtree and cave in already.

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 7, 2009 at 18:24:09 ]
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Hey AB, I hope you put as much into your studies as you do the 49ers and the cap. You could probably be a doctor if you did.
isn't it already confirmed that 2010 is going to be a uncapped season, even if they do finally come to a agreement
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Hey AB, I hope you put as much into your studies as you do the 49ers and the cap. You could probably be a doctor if you did.

lmao, dont worry, school and the 49ers come 1st and 2nd in my life,
Originally posted by Ninersdeep:
isn't it already confirmed that 2010 is going to be a uncapped season, even if they do finally come to a agreement

true, but if theres a cap, it should be around $140M in 2010, so i project 55m in cap room, or of course umlimited with no cap.

true, but if theres a cap, it should be around $140M in 2010, so i project 55m in cap room, or of course umlimited with no cap.

And if there isn't it turns into baseball for a year and the Cowboys, Skins, etc go on spending sprees and average players get record breaking contracts. AB, so let's say next year there was an uncapped year... do you think the next year will go back to being capped or would it stay uncapped until they reach an agreement? You wouldn't think they would go more than one year (if that) with no cap.

Wouldn't they have to front load the contracts too? Otherwise the year after it would be capped and they would have signed this guy during the uncapped year for 7 year 150 million or whatever. No problem for the 1st year but after that they have a huge contract taking up half their space. I guess that would either make the teams give all the money upfront or not go on spending sprees.

Another way out: Players don't like one year deals but I guess they would settle for them if they where say 1 year 20 million in an uncapped year.

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 7, 2009 at 19:10:20 ]

And if there isn't it turns into baseball for a year and the Cowboys, Skins, etc go on spending sprees and average players get record breaking contracts. AB, so let's say next year there was an uncapped year... do you think the next year will go back to being capped or would it stay uncapped until they reach an agreement? You wouldn't think they would go more than one year (if that) with no cap.

Wouldn't they have to front load the contracts too? Otherwise the year after it would be capped and they would have signed this guy during the uncapped year for 7 year 150 million or whatever. No problem for the 1st year but after that they have a huge contract taking up half their space. I guess that would either make the teams give all the money upfront or not go on spending sprees.

Another way out: Players don't like one year deals but I guess they would settle for them if they where say 1 year 20 million in an uncapped year.

it was reported that if no agreement was reached before march 2010, there woulndt be a cap ever again, but i dont buy that, i see a cap after 2010 if there is a uncapped yr, it makes sense, cause of the fact that it creates so much equal competition, we need a cap in the NFL, or like u said, teams like Dallas, Washington, etc... will spend, spend and spend like crazy.

it was reported that if no agreement was reached before march 2010, there woulndt be a cap ever again, but i dont buy that, i see a cap after 2010 if there is a uncapped yr, it makes sense, cause of the fact that it creates so much equal competition, we need a cap in the NFL, or like u said, teams like Dallas, Washington, etc... will spend, spend and spend like crazy.

Then look out for the banking meltdown to come to the NFL.............I wonder who'd go under first after the mega spending sprees.
If there a blessing in this - and there is - it is that we have learned that Crabtree is trouble.

We can now do ourself a favor by keeping the money that we would otherwise have paid him to use to sign two very good free agents next year. These free agents will be guys who are proven successes in the NFL.

It will be money much better spent. Indeed, we can establish new trend in the NFL: forget unproven draftees who manifest serious flaws.
Originally posted by notaclue:

Then look out for the banking meltdown to come to the NFL.............I wonder who'd go under first after the mega spending sprees.

The Raiders. No Dount. Davis is already selling off his stakr, and he's short on money too. IMO
Originally posted by excelsior:
If there a blessing in this - and there is - it is that we have learned that Crabtree is trouble.

We can now do ourself a favor by keeping the money that we would otherwise have paid him to use to sign two very good free agents next year. These free agents will be guys who are proven successes in the NFL.

It will be money much better spent. Indeed, we can establish new trend in the NFL: forget unproven draftees who manifest serious flaws.

You could easily think I'm being a smart --- with all the sarcasm around here, but I wish to God that your idea would actually become reality for our Niners next year. We could really shoot Az back down to earth with 2 first round-Aaron Curry like-studs, and two top-notch playmakers in free-agency. That makes perfect sense to sign a hot commodity with that money. (You just confirmed my desires that I definitely do not want that guy on our team, EVER.)
Share 49ersWebzone