LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

Does the draft start on a Friday this year?

I remember reading somewhere last year that Goodell wanted to change the 1st rd of the draft this year to be aired during Prime Time hours and that he wanted it to be on a Friday night so that more viewers can watch the NFL draft. Anyone know if that is still true this year or if the normal Saturday and Sunday still the same?
The draft takes place over three days this year. 1st round on Thursday night 4/22, 2nd round on Friday 4/23, and the 3rd -7th rounds on Saturday. Personally I think it sucks big time, but the NFL is going for the prime time ad dollars.
FYI

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8116faa2&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I agree, the built in time gaps will interupt "the over all Flow of the Draft"...now we gotta wait 3 days to see who Al Davis will way over reach for in the third round...

[ Edited by highway49 on Feb 21, 2010 at 09:58:07 ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Rd. 1: Thurs., April 22, 7:30 p.m. ET
Rd. 2-3: Fri., April 23, 6:30 p.m. ET
Rd. 4-7: Sat., April 24, 10 a.m. ET
Radio City Music Hall, New York
I don't see how it is beneficial especially for us that live on the West Coast. The draft starts on Thursday night and at 4:30 our time. People are still working or commuting from work. I guess for some, we will have to request for the day off or try to come home early from work.
No need to ask for the day off from work, just TIVO it!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by REDx85xGOLD:
I don't see how it is beneficial especially for us that live on the West Coast. The draft starts on Thursday night and at 4:30 our time. People are still working or commuting from work. I guess for some, we will have to request for the day off or try to come home early from work.

Well typically you already know the first and sometimes second pick. That adds an additional half hour at least before the real content starts.

Plus I don't think the NFL wants to rush the picks. The longer it is, the more advertising opportunities they have, and thus, more income.

Besides, I don't care much for watching the analysis of these picks, and much rather have the pick and trades that occur.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Rd. 1: Thurs., April 22, 7:30 p.m. ET
Rd. 2-3: Fri., April 23, 6:30 p.m. ET
Rd. 4-7: Sat., April 24, 10 a.m. ET
Radio City Music Hall, New York

Thanks for the clarification. Thought the third round was on Saturday.
Share 49ersWebzone