There are 91 users in the forums

NBA Off-season Thread

I feel like 11 and 33 isn't that big a difference lol
[ Edited by marshniners24 on Aug 26, 2013 at 12:37 AM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by marshniners24:
I feel like 11 and 33 isn't that big a difference lol

The difference between Lebron James and Kevin Durant is the same as between no. 11 and 33 as far as PER is considered. lol...that's HUGE.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
TMZ is saying that according to friends and family, Lamar Odom is missing.

Kardashian b***h probably sat on his face and suffocated him.

Rumor is Odom has been abusing crack cocaine for the past 2 years. Might explain why he's struggled so mightily on the court the past couple seasons. I hope everything is OK and if he needs help he gets it.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
so annoying..now they're just teasing me

pre-season games will be in STL

give us a damn team already!
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Jeff Schwartz, Odom's longtime agent, told ESPN.com: "Lamar is not missing. His wife knows exactly where he is."
Originally posted by 4ML:
Jeff Schwartz, Odom's longtime agent, told ESPN.com: "Lamar is not missing. His wife knows exactly where he is."

Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
TMZ is saying that according to friends and family, Lamar Odom is missing.

Kardashian b***h probably sat on his face and suffocated him.

guess sixth was right
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:
It doesn't matter whether your reasoning was to not mislead, when the author clearly was cherry picking facts to create a dramatic illusion. The difference between Lebron and Durante was equivalent to Blake Griffin and Marc Gasol. See how it sounds less dramatic?

But, we're talking strictly PER. Gasol doesn't score very high in PER because it doesn't factor in defensive ability of a player. So, if we're talking PER - then yes - the difference between Griffin and Gasol is just as dramatic.

Your comparison may sound less dramatic to a casual fan...or someone who doesn't pay a lot of attention to PERs or may not exactly know what it represents. It is a statistical contribution of a player...not a rating of a player.

-----
In John Hollinger's words, "The PER sums up all a player's positive accomplishments, subtracts the negative accomplishments, and returns a per-minute rating of a player's performance." If you're a fan of this stat and have paid attention to it in past years - then you'll understand that a difference of 3.3 between Lebron and Durant is very high WHEN taking into account the kind of efficient season Durant has put in. This is why it surprised me when it was posted on hoopsworld.
[ Edited by 4ML on Aug 27, 2013 at 2:11 AM ]
PER = a statisticians attempt of creating an algorithm that gives one an aggregate number that quantifies multiple aspects of one's game. It's Hollinger created nonsense, IMO.

You can't put a number on everything...but you can put a number on this, 63 more days till NBA season is back baby!
[ Edited by GameOver on Aug 27, 2013 at 9:12 AM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GameOver:
PER = a statisticians attempt of creating an algorithm that gives one an aggregate number that quantifies multiple aspects of one's game. It's Hollinger created nonsense, IMO.

You can't put a number on everything...but you can put a number on this, 63 more days till NBA season is back baby!

It is complicated but it's not nonsense. It is actually one of the better stat out there. It has it's limitations and Hollinger admits to it himself...but it's an excellent stat to compute the statistical contribution of a player.

Statisticians are becoming a huge part of basketball. Smart GMs, coaches and players are studying advanced statistics to become more efficient per possession. This is one of the MAJOR reasons why Miami won the chip (and Spurs made it to the finals) even though they were last in rebounds in the entire league (Spurs were near the bottom in Western Conf).
It is complicated but it's not nonsense. It is actually one of the better stat out there. It has it's limitations and Hollinger admits to it himself...but it's an excellent stat to compute the statistical contribution of a player.

Statisticians are becoming a huge part of basketball. Smart GMs, coaches and players are studying advanced statistics to become more efficient per possession. This is one of the MAJOR reasons why Miami won the chip (and Spurs made it to the finals) even though they were last in rebounds in the entire league (Spurs were near the bottom in Western Conf).

PER and this are two really different things. I spent a decent part of my summer on this topic, as I'm going to be tracking the Laker offense next year from a "points generated" perspective for LakersGround. Larry Coon has been helping me out in terms of informing the discussion and giving me an idea of the types of things that they talk about at the Sloan Conference (which he attends every year), and what kinds of analytics teams are using. He has an interesting quote from Pete D'Allesandro, who was just hired by the Kings, who says, "A lot of teams are using analytics, but few are using them correctly." You're right that Miami & San Antonio are considered to be two of the better teams in terms of their analytical capabilities, but stuff like PER isn't what they're looking at.

One snippet that Larry mentioned from last year's Sloan conference that I thought was interesting...

Some of the stuff presented last year showed exactly how position on the floor during rebounding opportunities affected control of the floor, and how making certain adjustments to the position & spacing of players on the floor during rebounding opportunities results in a higher percentage of controlled rebounds. The better teams are assimilating this information, using it to inform the coaches & players, using it to devise drills, and working those drills so the team's rebounding improves. This has nothing to do with evaluating players, it has to do with better utilizing the players you already have -- and not as individuals, but as units.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Aug 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM ]

• 4ML
  • Veteran

PER and this are two really different things. I spent a decent part of my summer on this topic, as I'm going to be tracking the Laker offense next year from a "points generated" perspective for LakersGround. Larry Coon has been helping me out in terms of informing the discussion and giving me an idea of the types of things that they talk about at the Sloan Conference (which he attends every year), and what kinds of analytics teams are using. He has an interesting quote from Pete D'Allesandro, who was just hired by the Kings, who says, "A lot of teams are using analytics, but few are using them correctly." You're right that Miami & San Antonio are considered to be two of the better teams in terms of their analytical capabilities, but stuff like PER isn't what they're looking at.

One snippet that Larry mentioned from last year's Sloan conference that I thought was interesting...

Some of the stuff presented last year showed exactly how position on the floor during rebounding opportunities affected control of the floor, and how making certain adjustments to the position & spacing of players on the floor during rebounding opportunities results in a higher percentage of controlled rebounds. The better teams are assimilating this information, using it to inform the coaches & players, using it to devise drills, and working those drills so the team's rebounding improves. This has nothing to do with evaluating players, it has to do with better utilizing the players you already have -- and not as individuals, but as units.

Great post. That last part was so interesting.

To be honest, I meant in very general terms that advanced stats are becoming a huge part of the game and wasn't referring PER as one of those stats. But, I did think PER is used in some capacity by the GMs to put together a roster. I once read that some very well respected GMs do study PER but things are changing fast in NBA, so that maybe dated.

To my point, I do believe PER is a great stat. It has it flaws...just like any other stat - but it is hardly nonsense.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
lol...calm down. It's the off-season. What is it with ppl, if you don't agree with them - you must be blind.

Anyway, I don't really care what you think the author was trying to do. It's not important to me. I was only interested in the difference between Lebron and Durant as I've said before.

[ Edited by 4ML on Aug 28, 2013 at 4:12 AM ]
Look who was at Luke Walton's wedding
Originally posted by GameOver:
Look who was at Luke Walton's wedding

RJ lookin all jealous
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Nothing about T-Mac retiring?
Share 49ersWebzone