There are 69 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012-13 General NBA Discussion Thread

Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by jrg:
250k for resting their players while playing their 4th game in 5 nights.

It is bad for business and stupid. Good job Stern.
Also Duncan and Ginobili are like 35 years old. This is why professional sports should not be run by a dictatorship, there should be something like a board of directors.

If they aren't told old to be paid millions upon millions of dollars to play a game, then they aren't to old to have to actually play the games. I think Stern is a dbag, but f**k teams that pull that s**t.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by crzy:
I don't understand why David Stern gets so much hate when he does things like this which are obviously in the best interest of the NBA long-term.

The NBA can't allow teams to just blatantly tank games when they're charging people who mostly come only for the star players.

The punishment wasn't too lenient or harsh, and it send a clear message to the Spurs and the rest of the NBA. "If you're gonna tank a game , then do it subtedly, and don't be so damn blatant about it"


Obviously the long-term solution should be to shorten the damn NBA schedule....it's way too f**king long.

I totally disagree. Pop is allowed to run his team the way he sees fit. If he wants to give run to his bench guys for whatever reason, be it to rest his starters or to see what he's got in terms of bench players in prime time, then he should be allowed to. This isn't a team trying to tank for a draft spot, this is a contender trying to win a title. So what if fans want to see a different product? Ultimately the goal is to win a championship, at least it should be. Stern's decision is more about him asserting his massive ego into an area it doesn't belong.

Stern's job is to make more money for the owners and grow the game. When you pull your starters, not just old guys - but 30 year old and 25 year old starters, it does make the game less attractive to a casual fan. Also, networks may want to put a clause in future contracts if this type of action is taken by the coaches frequently - that they'd like their money back for the particular game.

Now, luckily the game was close - because Heat didn't take the game seriously. Had they played an average team who had something to prove, they'd get blown out.

If Pop is doing what is best for his team, I feel Stern did what is best for the owners. I can't stand Stern - but he is doing his job.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by jrg:
250k for resting their players while playing their 4th game in 5 nights.

It is bad for business and stupid. Good job Stern.
Also Duncan and Ginobili are like 35 years old. This is why professional sports should not be run by a dictatorship, there should be something like a board of directors.

If they aren't told old to be paid millions upon millions of dollars to play a game, then they aren't to old to have to actually play the games. I think Stern is a dbag, but f**k teams that pull that s**t.

THIS...and Parker and Green are not old.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by crzy:
I don't understand why David Stern gets so much hate when he does things like this which are obviously in the best interest of the NBA long-term.

The NBA can't allow teams to just blatantly tank games when they're charging people who mostly come only for the star players.

The punishment wasn't too lenient or harsh, and it send a clear message to the Spurs and the rest of the NBA. "If you're gonna tank a game , then do it subtedly, and don't be so damn blatant about it"


Obviously the long-term solution should be to shorten the damn NBA schedule....it's way too f**king long.

I totally disagree. Pop is allowed to run his team the way he sees fit. If he wants to give run to his bench guys for whatever reason, be it to rest his starters or to see what he's got in terms of bench players in prime time, then he should be allowed to. This isn't a team trying to tank for a draft spot, this is a contender trying to win a title. So what if fans want to see a different product? Ultimately the goal is to win a championship, at least it should be. Stern's decision is more about him asserting his massive ego into an area it doesn't belong.

Stern's job is to make more money for the owners and grow the game. When you pull your starters, not just old guys - but 30 year old and 25 year old starters, it does make the game less attractive to a casual fan. Also, networks may want to put a clause in future contracts if this type of action is taken by the coaches frequently - that they'd like their money back for the particular game.

Now, luckily the game was close - because Heat didn't take the game seriously. Had they played an average team who had something to prove, they'd get blown out.

If Pop is doing what is best for his team, I feel Stern did what is best for the owners. I can't stand Stern - but he is doing his job.

How can you question a guy like Pop? This guy has been the best coach in the game, or at least the second best coach, for over a decade. He put in a team that nearly beat your squad. And you are pointing out a "young" guy like Parker is sitting? Exsqueeze me baking soda, but Parker has a ton of mileage and has been oft injured in his career because of it. Pop should be able to run his team the way he sees fit and should only be at the mercy of the owner of the team if he can't produce a championship caliber team. I love the double standard of the NBA suspending stars for techs then turning around and not letting a coach do what he feels is beneficial to his teams success. Sorry, but you are wrong on this if you take Stern's side.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
How can you question a guy like Pop? This guy has been the best coach in the game, or at least the second best coach, for over a decade. He put in a team that nearly beat your squad. And you are pointing out a "young" guy like Parker is sitting? Exsqueeze me baking soda, but Parker has a ton of mileage and has been oft injured in his career because of it. Pop should be able to run his team the way he sees fit and should only be at the mercy of the owner of the team if he can't produce a championship caliber team. I love the double standard of the NBA suspending stars for techs then turning around and not letting a coach do what he feels is beneficial to his teams success. Sorry, but you are wrong on this if you take Stern's side.

If a coach determines it is in his teams best interest to tank then you have no problem with that? Maybe only play the stars at home to still get ticket sales but don't play them on the road? This is a business. The only goal is to make money. That is why the teams work together to help maximize that, one way is always playing your stars.
Pop deserves the fine, especially since he knew it. He did this to make a point to Stern that he is unhappy with the schedule.

He could have easily dressed the players and rested them on the bench.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
How can you question a guy like Pop? This guy has been the best coach in the game, or at least the second best coach, for over a decade. He put in a team that nearly beat your squad. And you are pointing out a "young" guy like Parker is sitting? Exsqueeze me baking soda, but Parker has a ton of mileage and has been oft injured in his career because of it. Pop should be able to run his team the way he sees fit and should only be at the mercy of the owner of the team if he can't produce a championship caliber team. I love the double standard of the NBA suspending stars for techs then turning around and not letting a coach do what he feels is beneficial to his teams success. Sorry, but you are wrong on this if you take Stern's side.

If a coach determines it is in his teams best interest to tank then you have no problem with that? Maybe only play the stars at home to still get ticket sales but don't play them on the road? This is a business. The only goal is to make money. That is why the teams work together to help maximize that, one way is always playing your stars.

How does this have anything to do with a team tanking? Intention is everything, and it is clearly not Pop's intention to tank. Furthermore, while you may see the game as a business, I see it as a sport, and don't have a problem in any way a team decides to maximize their chance at winning the prize of that sport. The fact that NBA is a business is almost the entire reason why I watch less of it than at any time else in my life. Had I known Pop was playing a bunch of scrubs against the mighty Heat, I might have tuned in.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 39,284
Originally posted by AmpLee:
How can you question a guy like Pop? This guy has been the best coach in the game, or at least the second best coach, for over a decade. He put in a team that nearly beat your squad. And you are pointing out a "young" guy like Parker is sitting? Exsqueeze me baking soda, but Parker has a ton of mileage and has been oft injured in his career because of it. Pop should be able to run his team the way he sees fit and should only be at the mercy of the owner of the team if he can't produce a championship caliber team. I love the double standard of the NBA suspending stars for techs then turning around and not letting a coach do what he feels is beneficial to his teams success. Sorry, but you are wrong on this if you take Stern's side.

Pop's success is irrelevant here. The guy always pulls stunts like this. He makes up fake injuries so he can rest his players.

Just because he's been successful does not mean he gets free reign to tank games whenever he feels like it.

The Spurs aren't the only team who have to play four games in five nights. They should quit being babies about it.

Play Duncan, Manu, etc. limited minitues in those games and this whole thing is a non-issue.

David Stern did the right thing.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 39,284
Anyways, people complaining about this fine are trippin

This fine was a slap on the wrist for the Spurs. It was to protect the business interests of the league.
LOL @ the Heat not taking the game seriously. Yes, it makes tons of sense to let the other team lead until the last minute. Playing hard and blowing them out so you can rest your starters and not risk injury is just silliness, isn't it?
Originally posted by ItouchMyself:
LOL @ the Heat not taking the game seriously. Yes, it makes tons of sense to let the other team lead until the last minute. Playing hard and blowing them out so you can rest your starters and not risk injury is just silliness, isn't it?

Uh...you don't go plan to let them lead until last minute. I'm sure Spols wanted to do just what you stated.

But, it happens all the time. When you don't take an opponent seriously or don't play with urgency (in this case, the Miami Heat players), you can lose to anyone. Sometimes you recover in time, sometimes you don't. This isn't some new phenomenon.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by crzy:
I don't understand why David Stern gets so much hate when he does things like this which are obviously in the best interest of the NBA long-term.

The NBA can't allow teams to just blatantly tank games when they're charging people who mostly come only for the star players.

The punishment wasn't too lenient or harsh, and it send a clear message to the Spurs and the rest of the NBA. "If you're gonna tank a game , then do it subtedly, and don't be so damn blatant about it"


Obviously the long-term solution should be to shorten the damn NBA schedule....it's way too f**king long.

I totally disagree. Pop is allowed to run his team the way he sees fit. If he wants to give run to his bench guys for whatever reason, be it to rest his starters or to see what he's got in terms of bench players in prime time, then he should be allowed to. This isn't a team trying to tank for a draft spot, this is a contender trying to win a title. So what if fans want to see a different product? Ultimately the goal is to win a championship, at least it should be. Stern's decision is more about him asserting his massive ego into an area it doesn't belong.

Stern's job is to make more money for the owners and grow the game. When you pull your starters, not just old guys - but 30 year old and 25 year old starters, it does make the game less attractive to a casual fan. Also, networks may want to put a clause in future contracts if this type of action is taken by the coaches frequently - that they'd like their money back for the particular game.

Now, luckily the game was close - because Heat didn't take the game seriously. Had they played an average team who had something to prove, they'd get blown out.

If Pop is doing what is best for his team, I feel Stern did what is best for the owners. I can't stand Stern - but he is doing his job.

How can you question a guy like Pop? This guy has been the best coach in the game, or at least the second best coach, for over a decade. He put in a team that nearly beat your squad. And you are pointing out a "young" guy like Parker is sitting? Exsqueeze me baking soda, but Parker has a ton of mileage and has been oft injured in his career because of it. Pop should be able to run his team the way he sees fit and should only be at the mercy of the owner of the team if he can't produce a championship caliber team. I love the double standard of the NBA suspending stars for techs then turning around and not letting a coach do what he feels is beneficial to his teams success. Sorry, but you are wrong on this if you take Stern's side.

This is November - not March. Players can easily play 4-5 games in 1 week stretch. Parker is 30 and has missed about 10-12 games in the last two seasons. Danny Green is 25! And, nearly beating a squad is still a loss.

These are teams Spurs played before playing Miami on 29th Nov:
28th Nov - Orlando
26th Nov - Washington
25th Nov - Toronto

He could have easily rested one of his 3 stars in each of those games and still get W's. Surely, with amazing bench that nearly beat Heat, Spurs could beat 5-win Magic, 1-win Wizards, and 4-win Raptors...along with 2 of their 3 stars.

I consider Pop to be the best coach of last 20 years, but that doesn't mean one can't question him. Nor does it mean I know more than him. Belichik made his mistakes, but just because he won 3 championships in 4 years - does that mean he can't be criticized?


I can't stand Stern...but in this case, he did the right thing. In fact, I've to say - he didn't go far enough. Rather than punishing the owner, he should have punished Pop.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Dec 1, 2012 at 11:19 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
This is November - not March. Players can easily play 4-5 games in 1 week stretch. Parker is 30 and has missed about 10-12 games in the last two seasons. Danny Green is 25! And, nearly beating a squad is still a loss.

These are teams Spurs played before playing Miami on 29th Nov:
28th Nov - Orlando
26th Nov - Washington
25th Nov - Toronto

He could have easily rested one of his 3 stars in each of those games and still get W's. Surely, with amazing bench that nearly beat Heat, Spurs could beat 5-win Magic, 1-win Wizards, and 4-win Raptors...along with 2 of their 3 stars.

I consider Pop to be the best coach of last 20 years, but that doesn't mean one can't question him. Nor does it mean I know more than him. Belichik made his mistakes, but just because he won 3 championships in 4 years - does that mean he can't be criticized?


I can't stand Stern...but in this case, he did the right thing. In fact, I've to say - he didn't go far enough. Rather than punishing the owner, he should have punished Pop.

My point isn't that you can't question Pop. Of course you can, but that's just a guess on your part. This guy knows his players and should be able to make decisions regarding them based on his intimate knowledge of them. Stern is completely in the wrong to stick his nose into team matters, especially when it concerns a team that competes for titles year in, year out. Furthermore, Green left tonight's game with a hammy. Just maybe, there is more to the story than we fans are privy to when it comes to a coach resting a 25 year-old. To me it's another example of Stern wielding his little wand because he's butthurt someone isn't pandering to his needs.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
My point isn't that you can't question Pop. Of course you can, but that's just a guess on your part. This guy knows his players and should be able to make decisions regarding them based on his intimate knowledge of them. Stern is completely in the wrong to stick his nose into team matters, especially when it concerns a team that competes for titles year in, year out. Furthermore, Green left tonight's game with a hammy. Just maybe, there is more to the story than we fans are privy to when it comes to a coach resting a 25 year-old. To me it's another example of Stern wielding his little wand because he's butthurt someone isn't pandering to his needs.

I get that, but look at it from Stern's point of view. Stern is hired to look out for the interest of the owners, and when in a nationally televised game - a coach decides to rest his best players at this point in the season - it's bad for business. Like I said, Pop could have easily rested his guys against Wizards, Magic, and Toronto.
Kyle lowery is the leading rebounder for the raptors lol