There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012-13 General NBA Discussion Thread

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Yeah, I was reading up on him last night. It sounds like he has a lot of learning to do as the staff is putting in a lot of time with him. It sounds like UConn didn't put in a lot of effort coaching him up, probably knowing he was a goner after the season.

UConn rarely did put a lot of time into their big guys. Drummond, Thabeet, Hilton Armstrong, Josh Boone...they've had several bigs over the last few years that had athletic tools, but were no better when they left the program than when they got there. Dunno if that'll change now that Calhoun is gone, but I really think that a few teams whiffed by passing up on him. I think that Cleveland, for example, is going to have a hard time justifying passing up the chance to pair Kyrie Irving with a huge, physically gifted big man because they wanted Dion Waiters.

I agree. Drummond would have been perfect to pair with Irving.
Another guy who looked really good last night was Damien Lillard. Nice to him take his strong summer league into the preseason.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Yeah, I was reading up on him last night. It sounds like he has a lot of learning to do as the staff is putting in a lot of time with him. It sounds like UConn didn't put in a lot of effort coaching him up, probably knowing he was a goner after the season.

UConn rarely did put a lot of time into their big guys. Drummond, Thabeet, Hilton Armstrong, Josh Boone...they've had several bigs over the last few years that had athletic tools, but were no better when they left the program than when they got there. Dunno if that'll change now that Calhoun is gone, but I really think that a few teams whiffed by passing up on him. I think that Cleveland, for example, is going to have a hard time justifying passing up the chance to pair Kyrie Irving with a huge, physically gifted big man because they wanted Dion Waiters.

I agree. Drummond would have been perfect to pair with Irving.

Ya, I just don't see how any coach or GM worth their salt wouldn't watch him play and say "I can do something with this guy."

I think it's because GMs that are in the lottery tend to have the least job security and don't want to take gambles or guys that won't start paying huge dividends until after they've (likely) been fired. That's why someone like Kupchak (who had decent job security) can one-up other teams by taking a risk on someone like Bynum.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Another guy who looked really good last night was Damien Lillard. Nice to him take his strong summer league into the preseason.

Ya, he has a really well rounded offensive game.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Ya, I just don't see how any coach or GM worth their salt wouldn't watch him play and say "I can do something with this guy."

I think it's because GMs that are in the lottery tend to have the least job security and don't want to take gambles or guys that won't start paying huge dividends until after they've (likely) been fired. That's why someone like Kupchak (who had decent job security) can one-up other teams by taking a risk on someone like Bynum.

I almost grabbed him last night in the keeper league but was scared away by his 29% FT. Well, I pulled the trigger. I know he's quite a project, but who knows, might be a nice source for blocks this year.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 39,280
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Drummond looked good in his debut with Detroit last night. I watched part of the game. Looks better than he did in the summer, which makes sense, because I think he's the kind of guy that plays better with better players around him to set him up. Love the left handed swat. Can't believe this dude went #9. He just turned 19 years old, for chrissakes.

  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,482
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Another guy who looked really good last night was Damien Lillard. Nice to him take his strong summer league into the preseason.

Ya, he has a really well rounded offensive game.

Wanted the dubs to draft him :(
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Drummond looked good in his debut with Detroit last night. I watched part of the game. Looks better than he did in the summer, which makes sense, because I think he's the kind of guy that plays better with better players around him to set him up. Love the left handed swat. Can't believe this dude went #9. He just turned 19 years old, for chrissakes.


Was very intrigued by Drummond and was on board with the Kings taking him to pair with Cousins. Was also a little apprehensive due to UCONN's history of big men and how their games end up translating to the next level.
Kawhi Leonard, tbh
Is it 2016 yet?
Originally posted by jrg:
Is it 2016 yet?

No, the Lakers haven't won back to back titles yet.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by jrg:
Is it 2016 yet?

No, the Lakers haven't won back to back titles yet.

Don't care bout the Lakers..just want to get back to being relevant again. Gonna take a while
reading the last page of this thread, makes me hate the fact that being a Lakers fan we RARELY can get a top rookie to be excited about.
As a sports fan I enjoy thinking and discussing about the future of young rookies and what can be......
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by jrg:
Is it 2016 yet?

No, the Lakers haven't won back to back titles yet.

Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
reading the last page of this thread, makes me hate the fact that being a Lakers fan we RARELY can get a top rookie to be excited about.
As a sports fan I enjoy thinking and discussing about the future of young rookies and what can be......


Why? If you have a top rookie or high draft pick, it means your team sucks balls a majority of the time. I'm fine with not having a rookie to watch play for a s**tty team