LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 204 users in the forums

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
WTF is this scoring 110-115 points per game b******t?

This dude is on meth if he thinks this team will average that many points.

You need to chillz. lol

Nope this is and will become a s**tty hiring

Is it better than MB?

You need to chillz. lol

Is it better than MB?

yeah we'll have prettier losses instead of being embarrassed so thats a positive

You need to chillz. lol

Is it better than MB?

yeah we'll have prettier losses instead of being embarrassed so thats a positive

He's here to use what we have the best way we can.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
What are the die hard Laker fans in here thoughts on Magic criticism of the hiring?

He's entitled to his opinion. He'll always be my favorite basketball player of all time, but now he's just a big fan like the rest of us. Only difference between him and us is we post s**t like that on the WZ, and he says it in front of the cameras on ESPN.

One more big difference. He actually knows a LOT about basketball.

...and he knows the FO pretty well - so his opinion matters.
What are the die hard Laker fans in here thoughts on Magic criticism of the hiring?

He's entitled to his opinion. He'll always be my favorite basketball player of all time, but now he's just a big fan like the rest of us. Only difference between him and us is we post s**t like that on the WZ, and he says it in front of the cameras on ESPN.

So do the people that hired Mike Brown.

Magic's a legend, but let's not act like he's some amazing basketball mind.
Great article using an analogy to compare Carlton from Fresh Prince and Phil Jackson in this latest Laker twist...well written and very lawlz

For the most part, remaining quiet on the whole Phil Jackson/Lakers saga has been my M.O. The situation, however, looked all too familiar; like I'd seen it play out on TV before. Then it hit me. That's because I did. If anyone in the world at this moment can feel the identical sense of "betrayal" Phil is experiencing, it's another (former) Southern California resident: one Carlton Banks. Interestingly enough, the similarities between the duo are – if nothing else – perplexing to say the least.

1. Both were two of the greatest supporting actors of the '90s on prime-time television. Phil with Mike and Scottie in Chicago (and later Shaq and Kobe and even later with Kobe and Paul Gasol in Los Angeles). Carlton with Will.

2. Without Phil (and Tex Winter), the Bulls probably never win those titles, altering the course of NBA history to a parallel universe that hasn't even been discovered yet. Without Carlton, Fresh Prince loses a lot of its luster.

…and the most obvious one we've seen only in the past week…

3. Both fell victim to the "wink and the gun" fiasco despite being the more "qualified" candidate.

What's interesting of note about Phil is his sheer domination of the popular vote. Social media exploded at the thought of Jackson uniting with Kobe for what would have been the third time in their storied careers. Staples Center fans chanted in excitement for the return of the coach with the oversized chair. Even Phil was geekin'. So while there wasn't a public "wink and gun," it's safe to assume he and Jeanie Buss shared the gesture of premature confidemce while rolling a trippy stick. Phil was happy to inherit yet another stacked team and Jeanie was ecstatic because her longtime boyfriend and family may have finally met at some sort of middle ground.

In the dead of Sunday night, however, Jim Buss, Mitch Kupchak and the powers that be unanimously came to the decision Mike D'Antoni would be the man to lead the Lakers back to the mountaintop, much like the California International Bank did with Will. As surprising as the news was/still is/will be for quite some time, there is precedence believe it or not. This isn't exactly the first time executives have played hardball with Phil. Jerry Krause was the most hated man in Chicago for a while because of his handling of the Toni Kukoc/Scottie Pippen melodrama prior to the '92 Summer Games. And both Jerrys (Reinsdorf and Krause) worshipped Tim Floyd as Phil's heir apparent as early as 1997, damn near ending the '90s dynasty at five titles instead of six. Krause's public courtship even forced Phil to once respond saying, "Jerry [Krause] gets enamored of certain people. He used to be enamored of me."

Then there's the way that whole 2004 season went up in flames.

The press release answer leads us to believe D'Antoni is a "better fit" for this team, and maybe he is. The "real" reason, however? Maybe the thought of Jimmy Buss running back to a man he basically ran out of town in 2011, hired Mike Brown over Brian Shaw in spite of and the same guy who's been shacking up with his sister (probably getting her high as telephone wires, too) was simply too much.

Remember, pride is a powerful drug. Buss better pray this ends up more like the Kukoc situation (more titles) than the Tim Floyd one (no rings, but LA won't fade to oblivion in the manner Chicago did).

The only thing for certain is this.* Thanksgiving is going to be more stressful than that the dinner scene in Who Made The Potato Salad?

Here's the clip from Fresh Prince of the wink and gun:

You need to chillz. lol

Is it better than MB?

He's here to use what we have the best way we can.

Attempting to score 110 points on a nightly basis with an old Steve Nash and an aging Kobe not to mention running Dwight and Pau with them is not going to work out in the long run.
did the lakers extend dwight yet?
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

He is more of a basketball mind than anyone in the Webzone thats for sure. That was my only point.

He is more of a basketball mind than anyone in the Webzone thats for sure. That was my only point.

I would literally rather have Pete coach my team than Magic. Former superstar players down't make good coaches. Magic has proved that on the bench for the Lakers.

I would literally rather have Pete coach my team than Magic. Former superstar players down't make good coaches. Magic has proved that on the bench for the Lakers.

I don't have the anywhere near the resume to command any degree of respect from an NBA player, much less an entire team. Could I shoot the s**t with Magic and talk the nuts and bolts of basketball with someone like Magic? Yes, but that's very different than leading a team. I appreciate your confidence in me though.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Nov 16, 2012 at 11:25 AM ]

I don't have the anywhere near the resume to command any degree of respect from an NBA player, much less an entire team. Could I shoot the s**t with Magic and talk the nuts and bolts of basketball with someone like Magic? Yes, but that's very different than leading a team. I appreciate your confidence in me though.

b******t. You're are the next head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers!!!

I agree with Magic, I do not support this hiring

From an outsider who watches basketball from time to time I think the Lakers will be more competitive but will not win a ring under him. To me it looks like Kobe is done at 5 rings. Which wins me a bet :)
Share 49ersWebzone