There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Thank God Lakers didn't sign Phil Jackson...phew! I like D'Antoni though...solid choice - but he is no Phil Jackson
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Better than Mike Brown

Well yeah not saying much
kurt rambis: "lakers brass gave phil the weekend to think it over, phil's agent flew in to negotiate contract, but lakers didnt wait"
Originally posted by ads_2006:
kurt rambis: "lakers brass gave phil the weekend to think it over, phil's agent flew in to negotiate contract, but lakers didnt wait"

Real smart move by the FO IMHO
Nickname ideas from LG for this Lakers team:

Beastie Boys (led by Mike D)

Pringlewood

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt

Translation:"We'll remember this." RT @jadande Phil's agent: "Phil wasn't owed the job but was owed respect/professional courtesy"
Originally posted by ads_2006:

Rambis is a mouth piece for Phil. He was set to join the coaching staff if Phil got hired. Sour grapes, IMO. If Phil really wanted the job, he wouldn't have come to the table asking for the moon. From Woj's article today...

Jackson wanted to humiliate Lakers vice president Jim Buss far more than he wanted to coach the team. He wanted significant allowances on travel, coaching duties and an ability to veto player personnel moves that didn't fit his vision. With an unprecedented 11 coaching championships, Jackson had every right to make unprecedented demands. He doesn't have the right to be surprised when the Lakers rejected them and hired a pliable, cheaper coach in Mike D'Antoni.

"Phil wanted Jim Buss to walk away with his tail between his legs," one source with knowledge of the discussions told Yahoo! Sports. "He thought he had time to still negotiate with them, and see how much they would give him."

Jackson's agent wasnt too happy. I have to say that the Lakers really should have waited until Monday and then told him. Calling him at midnight on Sunday night was classless.

"Phil is someone who brought nothing but trophies to their bookcase and value to the franchise," Musburger said. "He deserved to be dealt with honestly."

"He didn't deserve the job, that's their decision. They can hire whoever they wish. But don't say to someone you've got until Monday and then roust him from slumber at midnight to say, 'By the way we hired somebody else.' That's just not fair dealing and Phil deserved fair dealing. He's a good faith person and he was dealt with poorly. It is indicative of the shabby way that organization is being run."
How does this hire work if Nash is hurt most of the time?!?! Nash is old and fragile, fair to expect him to miss a lot of time.

Definitely an upgrade over Brown + Princeton Offense.

Will be huge debacle if the Lakers don't make it to the Finals. One thing seems more likely, Showtime may be back.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Jackson's agent wasnt too happy. I have to say that the Lakers really should have waited until Monday and then told him. Calling him at midnight on Sunday night was classless.

"Phil is someone who brought nothing but trophies to their bookcase and value to the franchise," Musburger said. "He deserved to be dealt with honestly."

"He didn't deserve the job, that's their decision. They can hire whoever they wish. But don't say to someone you've got until Monday and then roust him from slumber at midnight to say, 'By the way we hired somebody else.' That's just not fair dealing and Phil deserved fair dealing. He's a good faith person and he was dealt with poorly. It is indicative of the shabby way that organization is being run."

Shabby, huh? lol

Sour grapes says what?
  • IT21
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Shabby, huh? lol

Sour grapes says what?

To be fair, that's not the only person I've heard say that

and those weren't Ninerjohn's words

Shabby, huh? lol

Sour grapes says what?

I know those weren't his words. The quotation marks gave it away.

Shabby, huh? lol

Sour grapes says what?

LOL The shabby comment wasn't mine. However, the classless way they treated Jackson was. I mean, seriously? Wake him up at midnight to tell him he didnt get the job? You would think that Phil Jackson, of all people, would get a little more consideration given all he has done in LA.

Shabby, huh? lol

Sour grapes says what?

LOL The shabby comment wasn't mine. However, the classless way they treated Jackson was. I mean, seriously? Wake him up at midnight to tell him he didnt get the job? You would think that Phil Jackson, of all people, would get a little more consideration given all he has done in LA.

Then again, he is the guy that walked away from you twice, then came strolling back into the opportunity with outrageous demands. All the while being the guy that's f**king your daughter/sister.

Just sayin. I love Phil and wanted him more than anybody else, but I can look at it from both sides. As far as waking him up, it's better than waking up and seeing it on TV.
Then again, he is the guy that walked away from you twice, then came strolling back into the opportunity with outrageous demands. All the while being the guy that's f**king your daughter/sister.

Just sayin. I love Phil and wanted him more than anybody else, but I can look at it from both sides. As far as waking him up, it's better than waking up and seeing it on TV.

I just think they could have held off until Monday morning to sign D'Antoni and let anyone know. Listen, I dont even really care about Jackson but it seems to be that he should have been given that much. I do get why the Lakers wouldnt hire him though if the demands were too much.
Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com