LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
The problem is that there's not enough money to go around. Let's say Kobe gives the Lakers a HUUUUGE hometown discount and signs for $10M per year. Maxed out Free Agents are gonna make about $22M per year. That means you have an ancient Kobe Bryant + (let's say) Rajon Rondo + Marc Gasol, and don't have anything in the way of impactful young players and no more money to spend. Is that team contending for a title? Hell no. And worse yet, we're stuck where the Knicks are, as a perennial 2nd round loser with committed salaries and no flexibility.

We have to get a young stud in the draft and then acquire the superstars in FA.

What you're saying is rational, there is no one arguing with that. But NO ONE is trading Kobe, period. Kobe will not allow himself to be traded (nor will he allow Kupchak to just say f**k it and clean up shop). Management will not trade Kobe. You compare trading Kobe to Shaq but this is a COMPLETELY different nightmare. Kobe is >>>> in term's of "Laker-ness" in the eyes of fans and has been with us since day 1. LA would literally RIOT if he was traded, whether he demanded it or not.

I get that the smart business decision would be to go about it your way but I don't think anyone feels like there's even a REMOTE possibility of that happening. Kobe has become the face of the Lakers franchise. He's arguably the best player to ever put on the purple and gold and we will do whatever it takes to give him a real chance of winning the ship before starting from scratch.

If you want your situation to play out, your best bet is for something to happen that causes Kobe to sit out the whole year (not going to happen either). That gives us an excuse to ship Pau and be a bottom 10 team (with or without Dwight) and get ourselves a fair draft pick. The more I think about it, the more I am on board with the idea of shipping Pau to a s**tty team for their 1st round pick NEXT year plus a young asset (and a cap casualty here or there) this year (Minnesota, Phoenix, Kings? I especially like Pau to Sac pending if new ownership decides to blow that team up and host a fire sale). Of course, can that be done? I don't know. I have no idea how the league feels about Pau and why any of those teams would do that unless they thought Pau was all they were short from of contending, which none of those teams SHOULD think but stupider s**t has happened.

To be honest, our future looks pretty doomed. I have no idea what Kupchak has planned.
[ Edited by GameOver on May 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM ]
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Or we could tank and rub our magic 8 ball for a bunch of good luck in the draft Not to mention this team hasn't drafted somebody worth a s**t in a long time with the exception of Bynum who turned out to be injury prone as hell.

We trade away and sell all of our picks! We haven't drafted anyone worth a damn (other than Marc Gasol in the 2nd Round) because we never even have picks. A bunch of good luck in the draft? We can conceivably have up to 4 lottery picks between now and 2016 if we liquidate our assets now. We'd only need two of those guys to be good players. Other than Miami, who had an inimitable free agent union in '10, every good team in the league built the bulk of their team through the draft, and used FA to supplement that.

And so what about the TWC deal? That means we could re-sign guys and go well into Luxury Tax territory, but if all we're doing is signing free agents from elsewhere, we can only "make it rain" up to the salary cap threshold. What...you think Rajon Rondo, LaMarcus Aldridge, a 37 year old Kobe Bryant, & a bunch of vet minimum dudes make us title contenders in '15-16?

THE MATH DOES NOT WORK IF ALL WE'RE DOING IS SIGNING FA'S. THERE'S NOT ENOUGH MONEY TO GO AROUND. WE HAVE NEVER WON A TITLE WITHOUT A SUPERSTAR THAT WE ACQUIRED THROUGH THE DRAFT. NEVER EVER EVER.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on May 28, 2013 at 4:07 PM ]
Originally posted by GameOver:
What you're saying is rational, there is no one arguing with that. But NO ONE is trading Kobe, period. Kobe will not allow himself to be traded (nor will he allow Kupchak to just say f**k it and clean up shop). Management will not trade Kobe. You compare trading Kobe to Shaq but this is a COMPLETELY different nightmare. Kobe is >>>> in term's of "Laker-ness" in the eyes of fans and has been with us since day 1. LA would literally RIOT if he was traded, whether he demanded it or not.

I get that the smart business decision would be to go about it your way but I don't think anyone feels like there's even a REMOTE possibility of that happening. Kobe has become the face of the Lakers franchise. He's arguably the best player to ever put on the purple and gold and we will do whatever it takes to give him a real chance of winning the ship before starting from scratch.

If you want your situation to play out, your best bet is for something to happen that causes Kobe to sit out the whole year (not going to happen either). That gives us an excuse to ship Pau and be a bottom 10 team (with or without Dwight) and get ourselves a fair draft pick. The more I think about it, the more I am on board with the idea of shipping Pau to a s**tty team for their 1st round pick NEXT year plus a young asset (and a cap casualty here or there) this year (Minnesota, Phoenix, Kings? I especially like Pau to Sac pending if new ownership decides to blow that team up and host a fire sale). Of course, can that be done? I don't know. I have no idea how the league feels about Pau and why any of those teams would do that unless they thought Pau was all they were short from of contending, which none of those teams SHOULD think but stupider s**t has happened.

To be honest, our future looks pretty doomed. I have no idea what Kupchak has planned.

Our future doesn't have to be doomed. I don't care if it would be unpopular. Why in the world would we let sentimentality toward Kobe doom our franchise for the foreseeable future? That's incredibly stupid. If Dwight walks, I'd rather see us amnesty Kobe than have him play for us next year. We don't compete in '14 AND we don't get a good draft pick AND all of our assets are gone? Absolutely insane.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on May 28, 2013 at 4:10 PM ]
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Trade Pau and let Kobe sit the whole year and get Jabari Parker and build from there

or this medical redshirt Kobe at the age of 35

Either way they're gonna suck. Might as well be set to get the next great NBA superstar

True no matter what happens they're gonna suck being "led" by MDA

might as well trade Kobe since his skills were obviously diminshed this past season

Now I never said anything about Kobe's skill diminishing dude

Stop

lol delusional laker fans can't accept that it's time to rebuild

except pete
I stomached seeing Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, & Roger Craig in Raider uniforms, and Joe Montana in a Chiefs uniform. I can damn sure see Kobe in a different uniform, especially if it helps my team in the long run. You guys are acting like I want him euthanized and sent to the glue factory. We'll always have the memories, but it's time to do what's best for the franchise. Kobe will be alright.

Our future doesn't have to be doomed. I don't care if it would be unpopular. Why in the world would we let sentimentality toward Kobe doom our franchise for the foreseeable future? That's incredibly stupid. If Dwight walks, I'd rather see us amnesty Kobe than have him play for us next year. We don't compete in '14 AND we don't get a good draft pick AND all of our assets are gone? Absolutely insane.

It's doomed because we aren't trading Kobe and, unless I'm missing something, the only substantial roster moves we can make are amnestying someone, signing/losing Dwight, and trading Pau. Sentimentality does come into play. Look at Ainge in Boston with KG and Pierce, especially Pierce. Basketball is more than just a business, and for a former player like Kupchak, he'll understand that and I don't see Jim Buss vetoing everything and forcing a trade/amnesty of Kobe.
[ Edited by GameOver on May 28, 2013 at 4:19 PM ]
It's doomed because we aren't trading Kobe and, unless I'm missing something, the only substantial roster moves we can make are amnestying someone, signing/losing Dwight, and trading Pau. Sentimentality does come into play. Look at Ainge in Boston with KG and Pierce, especially Pierce. Basketball is more than just a business, and for a former player like Kupchak, he'll understand that and I don't see Jim Buss vetoing everything and forcing a trade/amnesty of Kobe.

It's funny you mention the Celtics, because Auerbach said that his loyalty to Bird, McHale, & Parish is what started their 20 year drought. For the life of me, I don't understand why folks think it would be better to hurt the franchise, but at least Kobe's feelings aren't hurt. Loyalty? For chrissakes, we're not talking about f**king his wife. And yes, look at Ainge in Boston. They're in deep s**t too, and they're about to buy out Paul Pierce this summer because they know what they gotta do. We don't, because Kobe's a sacred cow.

But I know we're not trading Kobe. I know that all we'll do is deal Pau for probably some late lottery pick. If Dwight leaves and we got into next year keeping Kobe, we're a 10th-12th pick type of team and we're f**ked for the foreseeable future.
It's funny you mention the Celtics, because Auerbach said that his loyalty to Bird, McHale, & Parish is what started their 20 year drought. For the life of me, I don't understand why folks think it would be better to hurt the franchise, but at least Kobe's feelings aren't hurt. Loyalty? For chrissakes, we're not talking about f**king his wife. And yes, look at Ainge in Boston. They're in deep s**t too, and they're about to buy out Paul Pierce this summer because they know what they gotta do. We don't, because Kobe's a sacred cow.

But I know we're not trading Kobe. I know that all we'll do is deal Pau for probably some late lottery pick. If Dwight leaves and we got into next year keeping Kobe, we're a 10th-12th pick type of team and we're f**ked for the foreseeable future.

I bring up Boston not to defend their actions but to point to past moments that support my current stance. I'm not saying it's a rational mentality. And yes, our future looks bleak because of it (hence my statement from earlier that we're doomed) but I think it's the harsh reality. Kobe will be back for the beginning of the season wearing purple/gold and we just have to pray that Mitch does best in regards to everything else.
Pau Gasol to Wizards for Trevor Ariza, #3 overall pick and 2014 1st rounder...

Eh? Crazy? Maybe...depends on how much they believe in that Wall/Beal backcourt.

That lets us draft Trey Burke, hopefully our PG of the future, and get a wing to take over for MWP at the 3. But even then, I can't help but think they wouldn't even give us this year's first rounder.
[ Edited by GameOver on May 28, 2013 at 4:58 PM ]

Eh? Crazy? Maybe...depends on how much they believe in that Wall/Beal backcourt.

That lets us draft Trey Burke, hopefully our PG of the future, and get a wing to take over for MWP at the 3. But even then, I can't help but think they wouldn't even give us this year's first rounder.

Why do the Wizards not laugh their asses off at this proposal? I'd be shocked if we could get #3, much less #3 and a '14 1st Rounder for Pau.

Why do the Wizards not laugh their asses off at this proposal? I'd be shocked if we could get #3, much less #3 and a '14 1st Rounder for Pau.

They have faith in Wall/Beal, not so sure about Okafor/Nene...maybe they give us Okafor too for $$ reasons and try Pau/Nene with Wall/Beal. Get Wall into the playoffs, create some hope in Washington. Then Pau is a FA and they'll have some wiggle room. It's a rental and a way to get rid of bad contracts.

Again, it could be as ridiculous as you just made it sound. I think Ariza, Okafor, and #3 this year for Pau sounds...somewhat feasible...
They have faith in Wall/Beal, not so sure about Okafor/Nene...maybe they give us Okafor too for $$ reasons and try Pau/Nene with Wall/Beal. Get Wall into the playoffs, create some hope in Washington. Then Pau is a FA and they'll have some wiggle room. It's a rental and a way to get rid of bad contracts.

Again, it could be as ridiculous as you just made it sound. I think Ariza, Okafor, and #3 this year for Pau sounds...somewhat feasible...

Ariza, Okafor, & Pau are all expiring contracts. They don't get any cap relief. They can have faith in Wall/Beal and just add another cheap young player instead of dealing #3 in return for one year of Pau, who probably isn't even a better player than Ariza & Okafor are combined at this point.

Lol this
I agree 100% with you LA, I've been warming up to the idea of seeng Kobe somewhere else for awhile...and I have never known the Lakers without Kobe being a 24 year old fan. I started watching Lakers every game when he used to come off the bench for Fox/Van Exel/Eddie etc...so I have a ton of sentiment towards him... But still I understand the direction of the franchise right now and clearly it's the best thing for the future to see him go, either amnesty or trade.

But I'm with Gameover....There is 0 chance we trade, or amnesty him. Jim Buss isn't letting Kobe get shipped off the same year Jerry goes, it just isn't happening.

I can't stand Dwight, but we can't let someone like that walk. We have to re-sign him, just because of the pieces you can build around him once Kobe goes. Pau has to go though. Where and for what I can't even try to speculate.

Lol this

Gasol is overrated and old
[ Edited by Frisco69ers on May 29, 2013 at 8:55 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone