LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 300 users in the forums

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

I could see nash/meeks and kobe i really dont like nash and blake on the floor at the same . They both seem to struggle defensively at times, i also believe nash/kobe/clark with Pau and dwight should be considered as well.
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
God help us the day that Dwight Howard becomes the #1 option on offense.

Well it worked for Orlando

on offense it was adventure with him every night in orlando. if you check his game logs, he has countless number of games where he shot the ball in the 30s and 40s percent. and even in orlando he wasn't a high volume shooter, most nights he would attempt 12-16 FGs.

imo, he has some of the worst post moves and footwork ive ever seen in a "superstar". if you're a kid learning what not to do on post moves, i would tell him to watch howard or mcgee.
[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Mar 27, 2013 at 5:35 AM ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
MW Peace out 6 weeks
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
on offense it was adventure with him every night in orlando. if you check his game logs, he has countless number of games where he shot the ball in the 30s and 40s percent. and even in orlando he wasn't a high volume shooter, most nights he would attempt 12-16 FGs.

imo, he has some of the worst post moves and footwork ive ever seen in a "superstar". if you're a kid learning what not to do on post moves, i would tell him to watch howard or mcgee.

He has been shooting closer to 60% from the field for last few years. He doesn't need to be no. 1 option, but he shouldn't be no.3 or no. 4 option either.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
He has been shooting closer to 60% from the field for last few years. He doesn't need to be no. 1 option, but he shouldn't be no.3 or no. 4 option either.

He shoots 60% because of offensive rebounding & drive and dish opportunities. That's where he's able to use his combination of size & athleticism.

On his post ups this year, he's shooting 42.6% (135-317) and generating 0.73 points per possession, which is 116th in the league. This, despite getting the 2nd most post up opportunities in the NBA. He turns the ball over 17.2% of the time when he has the ball in the post as well, which is awful.

I think part of it is his injury, because he had developed a pretty solid post game in Orlando before his injury, but he's a guy who only effectively scores off of what other guys create.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

He shoots 60% because of offensive rebounding & drive and dish opportunities. That's where he's able to use his combination of size & athleticism.

On his post ups this year, he's shooting 42.6% (135-317) and generating 0.73 points per possession, which is 116th in the league. This, despite getting the 2nd most post up opportunities in the NBA. He turns the ball over 17.2% of the time when he has the ball in the post as well, which is awful.

I think part of it is his injury, because he had developed a pretty solid post game in Orlando before his injury, but he's a guy who only effectively scores off of what other guys create.

MWP is shooting 40% from the field. I'll still find a way for Howard to shoot more than MWP if I was the coach. That's all I'm saying. I agree, injury is part of it - but IMO the system is also hurting him. He looks disinterested at times.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
...and Lakers coaching staff is asking Howard to practice jumpers. This is bad coaching. They don't need him to shoot jumpers, they need him to continue to work on his post game.
MWP is shooting 40% from the field. I'll still find a way for Howard to shoot more than MWP if I was the coach. That's all I'm saying. I agree, injury is part of it - but IMO the system is also hurting him. He looks disinterested at times.

Dwight gets plenty of post touches within this system. He's #2 in the league in this respect, and he's certainly not the 2nd best post player in the league. Heck, probably not even on his own team.

Funny enough, despite the fact that Dwight shoots 57.1% from the field and Metta shoots 40.4% from the field, they both produce the same points per possession when a play finishes with them. (0.93) This is the stat to look at regarding who deserves shots, IMO, not the archaic FG%. This accounts for 3 pointers, free throws, & turnovers.

It's not always the coaches choice regarding who gets the most shots. We're not running plays for Metta, but he's intentionally left open by most opposing defenses. That's part of why I'm looking forward to seeing the Nash/Kobe/Meeks lineup play.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Dwight gets plenty of post touches within this system. He's #2 in the league in this respect, and he's certainly not the 2nd best post player in the league. Heck, probably not even on his own team.

Funny enough, despite the fact that Dwight shoots 57.1% from the field and Metta shoots 40.4% from the field, they both produce the same points per possession when a play finishes with them. (0.93) This is the stat to look at regarding who deserves shots, IMO, not the archaic FG%. This accounts for 3 pointers, free throws, & turnovers.

It's not always the coaches choice regarding who gets the most shots. We're not running plays for Metta, but he's intentionally left open by most opposing defenses. That's part of why I'm looking forward to seeing the Nash/Kobe/Meeks lineup play.

Wow, didn't know that. Was he this bad with Orlando too?
Wow, didn't know that. Was he this bad with Orlando too?

No. I don't remember the exact numbers, but the last couple of years he was better than this in the post. He hasn't been the same player this year. That said, he's improved as the year has gone on.

So... who's taking MWP's spot? Coach said Meeks, but what about Clark at the SF? Meeks seems awfully small for SF.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
So... who's taking MWP's spot? Coach said Meeks, but what about Clark at the SF? Meeks seems awfully small for SF.

Kobe will play SF in that lineup, and Clark should get some run at SF off the bench.
Thank god they play Minnesota tonight

If you have the time Pete I'd love to see these number compared to Demarcus Cousins this year.
Originally posted by marshniners24:
If you have the time Pete I'd love to see these number compared to Demarcus Cousins this year.

Cousins shoots 40.5% in the post (89-225), but he's generating 0.80ppp, which is 88th in the league. He does a decent job of drawing fouls and converting for a big man.

Overall he produces 0.87PPP when a play finishes with him, which is 260th in the league.

Mind you, the #1 option on most teams isn't highly ranked in this respect, because they're generally taking harder shots. For example, Tyson Chandler is always one of the Top 3 guys in the league in this respect, because he's pretty much only shooting off of lobs and offensive putbacks. So I think it's important to understand a guy's role when looking at these numbers, but even then, 0.87PPP is poor.
Share 49ersWebzone