There are 78 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Very poor effort tonight. They looked very sluggish. I get it's a back to back ending in denver, but it was just sloppy sloppy sloppy.
At least Utah lost as well
DO SOMETHING FOR ME DAMNIT JUST f**kING DO SOMETHING
Dwight shot pretty well from the line tonight that was a positive
Denver is scary in Denver. They have like 3 SFs that would start on most teams. They're deep and can out run anyone
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Very poor effort tonight. They looked very sluggish. I get it's a back to back ending in denver, but it was just sloppy sloppy sloppy.

Ya, I expected a loss tonight, but it's frustrating watching another team play so much harder than us.
Rank the top ten lakers in the Dr. Buss era.

Byron Scott had Magic 1 and kobe 2. Do you agree?
Originally posted by pdizo916:

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Magic Johnson
3) Shaquille O'Neal
4) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
5) James Worthy
6) Pau Gasol
7) Byron Scott
8) Derek Fisher
9) Jamaal Wilkes
10) Michael Cooper

Just in terms of guys who I most identify with being a Laker.
Idk, I'd have Magic over Kobe. Magic never demanded a trade...
Originally posted by questnevrythng:
Idk, I'd have Magic over Kobe. Magic never demanded a trade...

No, he just went to Jerry Buss and demanded that Paul Westhead was fired or else he'd demand a trade, lol.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Thin air and they played a track team, not a good combination for an old squad on tired legs.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by pdizo916:

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Magic Johnson
3) Shaquille O'Neal
4) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
5) James Worthy
6) Pau Gasol
7) Byron Scott
8) Derek Fisher
9) Jamaal Wilkes
10) Michael Cooper

Just in terms of guys who I most identify with being a Laker.
Magic Johnson is #1 with a big gap to # 2. I am guessing you are too young to have watched Magic play when he entered the league. I am a confirmed Laker hater but have to respect Magic Johnson as one of the top ten greatest NBA players of all time and top 5 since I have been watching the NBA for 45 years. He could play any position on the court and made all the people around him better. At 20 in the 1980 NBA finals he played center on the road in game 6 (Lakers up 3-2) against the 76ers. He put up 42 points and 15 rebounds, he also shut down Daryl Dawkins while he was at it. He did what it took to win, he didn't have to have the ball to dominate a game. He did demand a trade and got Paul Westhead fired so our previous poster with 4 posts is incorrect. If I was assembling an all-time NBA team Magic Johnson would be my first pick.
[ Edited by BobS on Feb 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM ]
Originally posted by BobS:
Magic Johnson is #1 with a big gap to # 2. I am guessing you are too young to have watched Magic play when he entered the league. I am a confirmed Laker hater but have to respect Magic Johnson as one of the top ten greatest NBA players of all time and top 5 since I have been watching the NBA for 45 years. He could play any position on the court and made all the people around him better. At 20 in the 1980 NBA finals he played center on the road in game 6 (Lakers up 3-2) against the 76ers. He put up 42 points and 15 rebounds, he also shut down Daryl Dawkins while he was at it. He did what it took to win, he didn't have to have the ball to dominate a game. He did demand a trade and got Paul Westhead fired so our previous poster with 4 posts is incorrect. If I was assembling an all-time NBA team Magic Johnson would be my first pick.

"What he has accomplished with this team, I don't think there's any question in my mind at this point in time – because of him being with this team for his whole career – that he has been the greatest Laker player." - Jerry West

"Kobe Bryant is the great Laker of all time." - Magic Johnson

"He's the greatest Laker of all time now." - Shaquille O'Neal on Kobe Bryant

"I'm the greatest Laker ever because I'd score 125ppg in today's game." - Zombie Wilt Chamberlain

Perhaps Jerry West is too young to have seen Magic play when he came into the league? Your comments are nothing more than the typical romanticization of the past that a lot of people do. If someone thinks Magic's the greatest Laker ever, that's not totally unreasonable, but saying there's a big gap between him and Kobe is downright laughable. People who know basketball...like Jerry West & Magic Johnson...know what's up. Like West (one of the greatest talent evaluators in history says) there's no question in his mind who the greatest Laker ever is.

PS...Jim Chones was the guy who guarded Dawkins for the vast majority of Game 6, and Dawkins had 14 points on 6-9 shooting. Magic's Game 6 is one of the greatest performances in NBA history, but it's gained a bit of Tall Tale status over the years as well. He jumped center to start the game and BARELY played the position for the rest of it. Chones played 43 of the possible 48 minutes in that game, and he was definitely the center in a lineup of Magic/Norm Nixon/Jamaal Wilkes/Michael Cooper.

PSS...Magic dominated the ball even more than Kobe does. He constantly had the ball in his hands. (not that there's anything wrong with that)
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Feb 27, 2013 at 12:43 PM ]
If you were to use a time machine to return to 1989 and return with Magic Johnson to 2007 and have him play in the NBA, I think Kobe would outplay him and generally demonstrate his superiority on both sides of the ball. That's not to say that Magic was not more talented than Kobe. But Kobe learned the game in a different era and played against better competition. Perhaps if Magic and Kobe had been born in the same year, Magic would be the better player.

Shaq is the best Laker.
Originally posted by dobophile:
If you were to use a time machine to return to 1989 and return with Magic Johnson to 2007 and have him play in the NBA, I think Kobe would outplay him and generally demonstrate his superiority on both sides of the ball. That's not to say that Magic was not more talented than Kobe. But Kobe learned the game in a different era and played against better competition. Perhaps if Magic and Kobe had been born in the same year, Magic would be the better player.

Shaq is the best Laker.

Phil is my father.
Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com