LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

London 2012 Olympics Thread

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Sky News:

Anger As Badminton Stars Play To Lose
In farcical scenes at Wembley Arena on Tuesday night, a pair from China, two from South Korea and another from Indonesia appeared to be deliberately trying to lose.
Spectators booed as the female players served into the net, hit shots long or wide, and employed time-wasting tactics as they appeared to try to engineer themselves a favourable draw in the next round of the competition.
All four pairs had already qualified for the last eight but top spots were still to be settled.
Spectators reacted angrily to players' refusal to play. One wrote on Twitter: "Didn't expect to be booing teams tonight. China and Korea women's doubles teams are a disgrace."
Several hours after the events on court, the Badminton World Federation charged the four pairs with "not using one's best efforts to win a match"and "conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport".
A disciplinary hearing is scheduled to be held later this morning. The pairs are currently all included in the order of play and are due to contest their quarter-finals this evening.
The fiasco began when Chinese top seeds Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang started to show little interest in beating Koreans Jung Kyung-eun and Kim Ha-na to finish top of Group A.
This would mean avoiding compatriots and second seeds Tian Qing and Zhao Yunlei at least until the final.
The Koreans responded by copying China and referee Thorsten Berg emerged to warn all the players. The match restarted and the Koreans went on to win 21-14 21-11.
But that was not the end of the matter as a second Korean pair, the third seeds Ha Jung-eun and Kim Min-jung, then attempted to throw their match against Indonesia's Meiliana Jauhari and Greysia Polii.
Their motive was apparently an attempt to avoid Wang and Yu in the quarter-finals, an outcome they failed to achieve as they eventually won 18-21 21-14 21-12. The Indonesians in turn had also tried to lose the game.
Berg intervened and disqualified the players in the second game, prompting a roar of approval from the angry crowd, but quickly reversed his decision.
Britain's Gail Emms, who was an Olympic silver medallist in 2004, said the scenes were a "disgrace".
"We had four pairs on court trying to lose - very un-Olympic spirit," she said. "I'm furious. It is very embarrassing for our sport."
However, China's Yu claimed the tactics had simply been to preserve energy ahead of the knockout phase on Wednesday.
"Actually these opponents really were strong. This is the first time we've played them and tomorrow it's the knockout rounds, so we've already qualified and we wanted to have more energy for the knockout rounds," she said."

All 4 should be disqualified. Rest at home.
wow....
Tang-inang INCHEXXX!!!
6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)Weight 215 lb (98 kg) big number 14 - Australian woman's team . Kinda cute in a heavy sort of way.
[ Edited by RogerCraig on Aug 1, 2012 at 7:43 AM ]
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
It doesn't bother you at all? I mean the original Fab Five was a staple of a complete shift in college/NBA hoops. It is a huge focal point of basketball history. I understand they lost - and don't get me wrong; I am all about the US winning gold -- but I think it's whack they are named Fab Five too.

Actually, they're being referred to as the "Fierce Five"...so your Fab Five reservation is still in tact
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Jesus Christ the 2012 Girls gymnastics team can't remember the 1996 gold medal team because they were infants. I feel old

girlfriend made me watch this event, them girls b***h-slapped the rest of the competition like sirs ... err .. madams?
Originally posted by redrose49er:
At last

And another
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Jesus Christ the 2012 Girls gymnastics team can't remember the 1996 gold medal team because they were infants. I feel old

girlfriend made me watch this event, them girls b***h-slapped the rest of the competition like sirs ... err .. madams?

Indeed they did...

It's alright man, you don't have to make up an excuse to you watching women's gymanastics Although it is funny that it's called women's gymnastics when the majority of competitors are 16 year old girls...
Originally posted by samoan49er:

It's alright man, you don't have to make up an excuse to you watching women's gymanastics Although it is funny that it's called women's gymnastics when the majority of competitors are 16 year old girls...

lol not using it as an excuse, more like saying I really wouldn't have watched it if she didn't ask because it usually doesn't call my attention, but it was awesome

• TX9R
  • Veteran
It doesn't bother you at all? I mean the original Fab Five was a staple of a complete shift in college/NBA hoops. It is a huge focal point of basketball history. I understand they lost - and don't get me wrong; I am all about the US winning gold -- but I think it's whack they are named Fab Five too.

That team was so overrated. Both as a team and individually they never won jack. They were a big deal because of the way they dressed and that's really the only contribution they had opn anything. Also the Beatles had that name first. These girls deserve whatever name they want over those chumps.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by TX9R:

That team was so overrated. Both as a team and individually they never won jack. They were a big deal because of the way they dressed and that's really the only contribution they had opn anything. Also the Beatles had that name first. These girls deserve whatever name they want over those chumps.

you cray

All five guys were rated in the HS top 100 4 of them ranked in the top 10.
Michigan - Webber #1 Rose #6
Chicago - Howard #3
Texas - King #9 Jackson #84

These five guys balled out in HS and are considered one of the top recruited classes of all time

They avg nearly 1,500 points and 600 reb each during college

4 of the 5 went on to the NBA

yeah they weren't very good at all

lol
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

you cray

Chicago - Howard #3

These five guys balled out in HS and are considered one of the top recruited classes of all time

lol

Never said they weren't good, just overrated and hardly a "huge focal point in history." Great teams tend to generally win at least 1 championship.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

you cray

Chicago - Howard #3

lol

Never said they weren't good, just overrated and hardly a "huge focal point in history." Great teams tend to generally win at least 1 championship.
? I don't get how people over use the term 'overrated'

How many other entire teams of freshman have made it to the championship game?
They made it to back to back championship games
They were the 2nd best team in college basketball for two years

they were ranked 20th and made it to the championship game as freshman

How the f**k is that overrated
Originally posted by samoan49er:

Actually, they're being referred to as the "Fierce Five"...so your Fab Five reservation is still in tact

No, no they aren't. They are the Fab Five.

And to TX9R -- I am not taking away from the fact that these girls won. That is absolutely awesome. I'm just saying it's strange to call a bunch of small girls the Fab Five when most sports fans (and they are probably watching this Olympic tournament) associate that with a rebellious basketball team that paved the way for personality, expression, etc for younger (and mainly African American) players.
Share 49ersWebzone