There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012 NBA Offseason Thread

best touch of all the big men?? did he forget about dirk nowitzki of my mavs?? wtf artest is on some drugs
Originally posted by LBCniner:
best touch of all the big men?? did he forget about dirk nowitzki of my mavs?? wtf artest is on some drugs

You're applying logic to ron f*cking artest?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
I've always liked Jamison. At this point in his career - he is a volume shooter, who won't get enough shots in that offense. But yea, he is better than anyone else on your bench.

I've never really been a Jamison fan, but I think he's been a volume shooter out of necessity. He's been a 6th man once before in his career...with Steve Nash in Dallas...averaging a career low 11.1 FGA. The results was (by far) his most efficient year from the field, shooting 53.5% from the field and 40% from three point range. Mind you, that was almost 10 years ago, but I think it exhibits that he was more of a product of his situation than anything else.

He serves a couple of purposes for the Lakers. We completely replaced our assistant coaches (thank God) and brought in Eddie Jordan to implement the Princeton Offense. Jamison played under Jordan for a few years in Washington, and is very familiar with Princeton as a result, so he should help smooth over the transition on the court. Also, it's a 4-out, 1-in setup that requires a PF that can space the floor, which Jamison can do. This offense should fit in very well with Kobe, Gasol, Jamison, and especially Dwight, but not for Nash. It's very similar to the triangle in it's read & react principles (which suit Kobe & Gasol), and the 4-out, 1-in setup should give Dwight the requisite room to operate. (Van Gundy ran a different 4-out, 1-in motion offense in Orlando, but the spacing was similar)

The are a couple of problems with running Princeton though. One is that like the Triangle, it's less PG intensive than most offenses, and we just brought in a dude who's great at driving the bus. If you're taking the ball out of Steve Nash's hands on offense, you've made the wrong decision. I don't care who else you have. Secondly, I think there may be some difficulties incorporating both Gasol & Howard on the court at the same time. There is a lot of high post action though, where Gasol will have the opportunity to shoot or hit back-cutters from that spot. It's a great fit for Gasol at the 5, but I'm not so sure about Gasol at the 4 with Dwight at the 5.

That said, Brown has said that he's going to put the ball in Nash's hands and he'll decide whether we run PnR (yes please!) or Princeton sets (sometimes, I hope). Really, I think you gotta give the ball to Nash and let him run the show, and save the Princeton stuff for when he's off of the court. At least for the majority of possessions.

I'm babbling. But Jamison's a clever scorer with a lot of holes in his game. I think he's surrounded by guys that can put him in a position to just finish the play, rather than be someone who's depended upon for 15 FGAs.

Not much I can disagree with (at least the parts I have knowledge of) and I enjoyed reading and learning about the cons and pros of Princeton offense - and how it will work with Lakers and where it may limit them. Thanks for that. This is one of the reasons I really cherish the board, you can actually learn quite a bit about many things.

Brown will be extremely smart to defer to Nash regardless of the offense. If I was Artest, I'd be going crazy talking about Dwight and Nash. When Nash goes to the bench - do you expect Lakers to play with Kobe, Artest, Jamison, Pau, and Dwight? What about Jodie Meeks? When he was signed, I felt he is a bigger addition than Jamison because he will be able to play both guard positions when needed.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
You're applying logic to ron f*cking artest?

lol
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Not much I can disagree with (at least the parts I have knowledge of) and I enjoyed reading and learning about the cons and pros of Princeton offense - and how it will work with Lakers and where it may limit them. Thanks for that. This is one of the reasons I really cherish the board, you can actually learn quite a bit about many things.

Brown will be extremely smart to defer to Nash regardless of the offense. If I was Artest, I'd be going crazy talking about Dwight and Nash. When Nash goes to the bench - do you expect Lakers to play with Kobe, Artest, Jamison, Pau, and Dwight? What about Jodie Meeks? When he was signed, I felt he is a bigger addition than Jamison because he will be able to play both guard positions when needed.

When Nash goes to the bench, I expect Steve Blake to take his spot and that's when I foresee the Lakers running a lot more Princeton. Like I said, Princeton's a lot like the Triangle in the respect that it's not as PG-intensive, so I expect Kobe's facilitating and Pau's passing skills to be emphasized when Nash is off of the court. I don't think we'll ever see that lineup of Kobe/Artest/Jamison/Gasol/Howard. The footspeed on the defensive end 1-3 is bad, as is the spacing on the offensive end. Slow on defense, congested on offense.

I think Nash & Howard should be tied together as much as possible, with Meeks & Jamison tagging along for part of that. Nash's bread & butter is the pick & roll, and putting guys in the position to just finish off of that. Howard's great at setting the screen, rolling quickly to the hoop, and either finishing or collapsing the defense in a very serious way. When that happens, there need to be catch & shoot players on the perimeter, which is where Jamison & Meeks come in at the 2 & 4 positions. I could see a lineup of Nash/Meeks/Kobe/Jamison/Howard being incredibly effective when we're looking to be more pick & roll intensive. It also spreads the floor for Howard in a way that Artest & Pau don't.

Obviously Pau needs big minutes too though, and having him on the court with Howard will hardly be a bad thing. But outside of the starting lineup, I think (hope) we're going to have one group that's built around the PnR abilities of Nash/Howard, and another that's built around the read & react abilities of Kobe/Gasol.

PnR lineup...

PG: Steve Nash
SG: Jodie Meeks
SF: Kobe Bryant/Ron Artest/Devin Ebanks
PF: Antawn Jamison
C: Dwight Howard

Princeton lineup...

PG: Steve Blake
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: Ron Artest
PF: Jordan Hill
C: Pau Gasol

It obviously won't be that cut & dry, but the Lakers have a lot of flexibility with this roster, and Princeton makes a lot of sense as long as it's not stepping on Nash's toes.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Sep 19, 2012 at 11:53 AM ]

LMAO Sixth. You finally get to join in on the Nash is ugly as f**k joke.

Dude was banging Liz Hurley. He's an off the court legend.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

Dude was banging Liz Hurley. He's an off the court legend.

Doesn't mean he isn't ugly.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Spurs new unis
Originally posted by jrg:

Spurs new unis

Good Lord, that might be the ugliest uniform I've ever seen.
LA that first lineup is horrid defensively lol
Originally posted by marshniners24:
LA that first lineup is horrid defensively lol

Dwight makes up for a lot of deficiencies. Orlando was always a good defensive team, despite having lineups like Nelson/Carter/Turk/Lewis around D12. Nash & Jamison are terrible, but Kobe's still a good defender and Meeks is above average. That's a good defensive lineup (mostly because of Howard) and a great offensive one.

Spurs new unis

IS this their home or away jersey?
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Spurs new unis

IS this their home or away jersey?

Alternate. Fortunately, they're only wearing them a dozen times.