There are 148 users in the forums

2012 NBA Offseason Thread

Originally posted by jrg:

Spurs new unis

Good Lord, that might be the ugliest uniform I've ever seen.
LA that first lineup is horrid defensively lol
Originally posted by marshniners24:

Dwight makes up for a lot of deficiencies. Orlando was always a good defensive team, despite having lineups like Nelson/Carter/Turk/Lewis around D12. Nash & Jamison are terrible, but Kobe's still a good defender and Meeks is above average. That's a good defensive lineup (mostly because of Howard) and a great offensive one.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

Spurs new unis

IS this their home or away jersey?
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Spurs new unis

Alternate. Fortunately, they're only wearing them a dozen times.

Spurs new unis

They look like knock offs of bad And 1 jerseys.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Spurs new unis

Look like Summer League jerseys to me.
Looks like they're primed for the impending sponsorship ads to me.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Looks like they're primed for the impending sponsorship ads to me.

lol these lol
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Dwight makes up for a lot of deficiencies. Orlando was always a good defensive team, despite having lineups like Nelson/Carter/Turk/Lewis around D12. Nash & Jamison are terrible, but Kobe's still a good defender and Meeks is above average. That's a good defensive lineup (mostly because of Howard) and a great offensive one.

I don't know. He's coming off a back injury so we'll see if he has the same explosiveness (im assuming he does).

But Kobe at SF is not a good match up for another year older Kobe Bryant. Let's not forget mid year he was looking pretty sluggish last year(for Kobe) despite having a good overal year.
Nash-turrible
Meeks-average
Kobe @ SF- below average/average
Jamison- turrible
Howard- good

We'll see

I don't know. He's coming off a back injury so we'll see if he has the same explosiveness (im assuming he does).

But Kobe at SF is not a good match up for another year older Kobe Bryant. Let's not forget mid year he was looking pretty sluggish last year(for Kobe) despite having a good overal year.
Nash-turrible
Meeks-average
Kobe @ SF- below average/average
Jamison- turrible
Howard- good

We'll see

Without boring you with the details, the back surgery that Howard have should have no long term implications, and he should return to 100%. If you're at all interested in why, read this thread, which is a recap of the chief orthopaedic surgeon at Cedar-Sinai and his explanation of Dwight's particular injury. Many people hear "bad back" and think that one injury is just as bad as the other, but this particular surgery should yield no long term effects.

There are a small group of SFs that couple would struggle guarding, like LeBron, Melo, Gay, & Durant, but that list is only like 4 or 5 deep. Beyond that Top 5 you have guys like Batum, Dudley, Prince, Gerald Wallace, Marion, Leonard, etc. Kobe wouldn't have any problem defending any of those dudes.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
When Nash goes to the bench, I expect Steve Blake to take his spot and that's when I foresee the Lakers running a lot more Princeton. Like I said, Princeton's a lot like the Triangle in the respect that it's not as PG-intensive, so I expect Kobe's facilitating and Pau's passing skills to be emphasized when Nash is off of the court. I don't think we'll ever see that lineup of Kobe/Artest/Jamison/Gasol/Howard. The footspeed on the defensive end 1-3 is bad, as is the spacing on the offensive end. Slow on defense, congested on offense.

I think Nash & Howard should be tied together as much as possible, with Meeks & Jamison tagging along for part of that. Nash's bread & butter is the pick & roll, and putting guys in the position to just finish off of that. Howard's great at setting the screen, rolling quickly to the hoop, and either finishing or collapsing the defense in a very serious way. When that happens, there need to be catch & shoot players on the perimeter, which is where Jamison & Meeks come in at the 2 & 4 positions. I could see a lineup of Nash/Meeks/Kobe/Jamison/Howard being incredibly effective when we're looking to be more pick & roll intensive. It also spreads the floor for Howard in a way that Artest & Pau don't.

Obviously Pau needs big minutes too though, and having him on the court with Howard will hardly be a bad thing. But outside of the starting lineup, I think (hope) we're going to have one group that's built around the PnR abilities of Nash/Howard, and another that's built around the read & react abilities of Kobe/Gasol.

PnR lineup...

PG: Steve Nash
SG: Jodie Meeks
SF: Kobe Bryant/Ron Artest/Devin Ebanks
PF: Antawn Jamison
C: Dwight Howard

Princeton lineup...

PG: Steve Blake
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: Ron Artest
PF: Jordan Hill
C: Pau Gasol

It obviously won't be that cut & dry, but the Lakers have a lot of flexibility with this roster, and Princeton makes a lot of sense as long as it's not stepping on Nash's toes.

I like Meeks, I think he is under-rated and on a team loaded with talent and size...he will be lethal from distance. I really like the lineup of Nash, Meeks, Kobe, Jamison, Dwight for the Lakers. That looks scary good. You don't think Meeks can play PG in Princeton offense? I'd like him over Blake. I'm curious why you like Blake over him? I mean, of course Blake is a true PG...but I feel Meeks is enough of ball handler to play PG in a Prineton/triangle type offense. You thoughts?

PnR is going to be so scary with Nash and Dwight. It will be a nightmare for defenses.

Lakers roster is so loaded...only question is how quickly they can gel. With Nash and Kobe on the team - they will adjust quickly.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
I like Meeks, I think he is under-rated and on a team loaded with talent and size...he will be lethal from distance. I really like the lineup of Nash, Meeks, Kobe, Jamison, Dwight for the Lakers. That looks scary good. You don't think Meeks can play PG in Princeton offense? I'd like him over Blake. I'm curious why you like Blake over him? I mean, of course Blake is a true PG...but I feel Meeks is enough of ball handler to play PG in a Prineton/triangle type offense. You thoughts?

PnR is going to be so scary with Nash and Dwight. It will be a nightmare for defenses.

Lakers roster is so loaded...only question is how quickly they can gel. With Nash and Kobe on the team - they will adjust quickly.

The thought hadn't crossed my mind, but Meeks at backup PG is a very interesting idea. It's not that I like Blake over Meeks, it's that I think he'll get the backup PG minutes and Meeks hadn't even crossed my mind in that spot. Obviously not the prototypical PG, but that's fine within a Princeton framework. Definitely worth exploring in training camp.
They've been showing some great games on NBA TV this offseason. The game that's on right now is one of Don Nelson's "I'm trying to get cute and that's why I coached 30+ years without ever making an NBA Finals" moments. I'm watching Byron Houston (a 6'2" PF) trying to guard Charles Barkley in single coverage. IIRC, Barkley ended up with 56 points in this game and Phoenix won.

EDIT: The score after the first quarter is 44-40. Barkley has 27 points on 11-11 shooting...in the first quarter.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Sep 20, 2012 at 10:25 AM ]
They've been showing some great games on NBA TV this offseason. The game that's on right now is one of Don Nelson's "I'm trying to get cute and that's why I coached 30+ years without ever making an NBA Finals" moments. I'm watching Byron Houston (a 6'2" PF) trying to guard Charles Barkley in single coverage. IIRC, Barkley ended up with 56 points in this game and Phoenix won.

EDIT: The score after the first quarter is 44-40. Barkley has 27 points on 11-11 shooting...in the first quarter.

Love me some vintage Suns Barkley

Share 49ersWebzone