LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

NCAA considering football playoff starting 2014.

I don't like a 4 team playoff... I think it should be 6 teams with 4 mega conferences winners of championship games automatically advance to playoffs with 2 at large bids..

sec
pac
big 12
and big 10 or whatever they are called now.
with 2 at large bids.... top 2 teams in country get a bye, they have to win conference championship game.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Amir:
As I've always said, Take the top 4 BCS ranked teams.

Team 1 vs Team 4 in the Rose Bowl
Team 2 vs Team 3 in the Sugar Bowl
Winners play in BCS Championship game a week later

Following year, Fiesta and Orange host top 4 teams and keep switching off. If two teams from teh same conference have the best teams, then so be it. This keeps the importance of the BCS rankings as well as rewarding a team with a tough schedule. If only conference winners are eligible, teams will try to sugarcoat their schedule.

I was pretty close to what they are submitting for a playoff system.
As I've always said, Take the top 4 BCS ranked teams.

Team 1 vs Team 4 in the Rose Bowl
Team 2 vs Team 3 in the Sugar Bowl
Winners play in BCS Championship game a week later

Following year, Fiesta and Orange host top 4 teams and keep switching off. If two teams from teh same conference have the best teams, then so be it. This keeps the importance of the BCS rankings as well as rewarding a team with a tough schedule. If only conference winners are eligible, teams will try to sugarcoat their schedule.

I was pretty close to what they are submitting for a playoff system.

I have a feeling who gets the the semi final games will be based on which bowl has conference affiliations.
The BCS presidential committee has endorsed the playoff for 2014. This basically makes it official. I am so glad we will finally get a playoff.
I mostly wanted an 8 team playoff, but 4 teams is good enough
Originally posted by vrabbit:
I think 4 teams is a good start, I have a feeling if in the first 5 years ratings and revenue are up that they will expand the playoff format to 8.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
We already have a two team play-off with the supposed national championship game. Division 2 and 3 have a 32 team play-off, a four team play-off is a joke. Should be 8 minimum preferably 16 teams. Major conference winners get in and then a handful of at large teams. I guess the current system of 32 bowl games makes too much money to be messed with.
Originally posted by BobS:
We already have a two team play-off with the supposed national championship game. Division 2 and 3 have a 32 team play-off, a four team play-off is a joke. Should be 8 minimum preferably 16 teams. Major conference winners get in and then a handful of at large teams. I guess the current system of 32 bowl games makes too much money to be messed with.

Well its all about revenue, and you can bet on it if the playoff revenue exceeds the bowl revenue they will add games ASAP.
Originally posted by vrabbit:

4 teams is definitely better than this bs bcs system.
Not perfect. Will still have controversy.... but it's something at least.

cringing at the possible senario........

Semi Finals:

Gm 1
Bama vs South Carolina

Gm 2
LSU vs Arkansas

you know they'd do it!!!!!!

Notre Dames AD was quoted on the radio as saying strength of schedule will be a key component in the new selection process. So teams that play cupcake non conference games will be hurt.
I think there may be even more controversey with a 4 team playoff.

I looked over how playoffs would work if it went by BCS ranking. The 4th spot for playoffs will be very debatable as frequently more then 5 teams finish with a 2-loss record and would all be trying to get the last spot. I think usually the top 3 teams are pretty clear.

Stanford at LSU
Oklahoma State at Alabama
Odd man out: Oregon (11-2), but Oregon won conf. championship. The ol' gotta win your conference arguement here.

Stanford at Auburn
TCU at Oregon
Odd man out: Wisconsin (11-1), I think the top 4 were right this year.

TCU at Alabama
Cincinatti at Texas
Odd man out: Florida (12-1), top 4 were right I think as all 4 were undefeated. But of note is the #6 team was undefeated Boise State. Now Boise State has just as good of an arguement of being in there as TCU. So there is the controversey.

Alabama at Oklahoma
Texas at Florida
Oddman out: USC (11-1). USC doesn't get in despite pulling Ohio States Suckeyes pants down. Losing to Oregon State cost them which I'm fine with.

Oklahoma at Ohio State
Virginia Tech at LSU
Odd man out: Georgia (10-2). Now this would be a controversial year. There is one loss Ohio State, one loss Kansas, undefeated Hawaii and 8 2-loss teams.

LSU at Ohio State
Michigan at Florida
Odd man out: Louisville (11-1), one loss Louisville and one loss Wisconsin gets snubbed to let in a 2 loss SEC team? That would cause controversey.

Ohio State at USC
Penn State at Texas
Odd man out: Notre Dame (9-2), again you have the problem of multiple 2-loss teams clamouring for the 4th spot.

California at USC
Auburn at Oklahoma
Odd man out: Utah (11-0), one of the most controversial years in college football. Utah and Boise State go undefeated, and you have Texas and Louisville as the other 1 loss teams (this year Texas got the BCS invite over California despite the BCS ranking). Definately a year of controversey.

Michigan at Oklahoma
LSU at USC
Odd man out: Georgia (10-2), another year where 7 teams have 2 losses and all want the last playoff spot

Georgia at Miami
Iowa at Ohio State
Odd man out: USC (10-2), 5 2-loss teams trying to get the last playoff spot
^^even with an 8 man playoff there would be controversy with who's the odd man out. (not out of the question that the 9th rank team could catch fire at the end of the season and win a playoff.

I'm just happy there's something else.
Share 49ersWebzone