There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Supporting 49ers, but not supporting SFGiants, Sharks, Warriors etc

Have noticed a number of you are 49ers fans, yet you don't support other Bay Area teams which got me wondering, how did you end up with that outcome?
How do you support say the 49ers yet support a hockey team half way across the country?

Be interested to hear your stories as to why you support who you do in each sport.

For me, I chose the 49ers based on a keyring I got as a kid and then watching the sport on tv as a kid also.
As somebody not from San Francisco, it made sense to me, to also support the San Francisco Giants. I mean, why just choose say the Red Wings or the Rangers, that would just be too easy and boring. That then led onto me following the Sharks. Also, if I was ever going to visit (Which I now have) all of my teams are in one area, so there's the chance of combining 2-3 games/sports with one vacation. (Which I did this year and will do again) And let's face it, who wants to visit somewhere like Detroit or Cleveland for a vacation or part of a vacation.

I do have a good friend in Chicago which led me to following The Bulls and the Blackhawks (and have flown over and seen them both play live) also and when I was a kid, I always used to play with the Bulls on NBA Jam and the Blackhawks on NHLPA93 on the Mega Drive (Happy Days!) which kind of got me into supporting both of them.
i support all local teams here, sorry. I use to root for the hornets, bulls, and jazz in that order until the kings got good and I stuck with them sense.
passed down through my family when I lived in the Central Valley...So I support 49ers, Giants, Lakers (thank god), and Sharks
I'm a fan of most Bay Area teams, but not the warriors. I'm a Laker fan. I am this way because my big brother said so, 30ish years ago. He liked Magic Johnson in college and followed him to the Lakers, and that's how it all happened.

Don't really care for the raiders, either, for obvious reasons.
I support the Giants because I grew up on them, same goes for the Niners. I grew up 5 minutes from the Shark tank, so that's where that came from.

I was raised by someone from socal, and I barely even realized the Warriors existed until I had been watching the Lakers for years on end. Honestly, calling them an NBA franchise is kind of a misdemeanor.
Well i really only follow two sports. Football and Hockey. My Hockey team is the Kings.
I was born in San Francisco, but grew up most my life in Sacramento. Followed the 49ers and Giants because of my father. He is also a Warriors fan, but I didn't get really interested in basketball until the early-to-mid 90's, and the Warriors really never caught my attention because of the local Sacramento Kings. I like the Bulls as well, because Scottie Pippen was my favorite player growing up; however, the Kings have always been #1 for me.

I've never been a big hockey fan, but I do root for the Sharks to do well because they are my "hometown" team. I do watch a game from time to time, but I'm not as diehard like the 49ers, Giants and Kings.
49ers/mavs...so cal niner fan and so cal maverick fan..mavs still dont get the respect we deserve after becoming champs =/
I've always been a fan of the 49ers/Giants/Sharks/Warriors. I was born in San Jose and have lived most of my life in the bay area. I did live in Chicago for 7 years, and I must admit I have a soft spot for the Bulls since I've been to many of their games. But my heart has always been in the bay area.
Originally posted by LBCniner:
49ers/mavs...so cal niner fan and so cal maverick fan..mavs still dont get the respect we deserve after becoming champs =/

To be fair, you guys got rid of a considerable chunk of last years squad and are not the same team that won it all.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
To be fair, you guys got rid of a considerable chunk of last years squad and are not the same team that won it all.

this may be true, but brendan wright, delonte west and vince carter have been playing pretty decent for us..brendan wright has been a beast for us lately
Originally posted by LBCniner:
this may be true, but brendan wright, delonte west and vince carter have been playing pretty decent for us..brendan wright has been a beast for us lately

no one cares, how's that for respect?

how do you end up rooting for a team from texas and california?
49ers and Warriors
Originally posted by drunk49er:
no one cares, how's that for respect?

how do you end up rooting for a team from texas and california?

This is what I was looking to get to the bottom of.
For example(s)
If you are from "Randomsville" in the Midwest, how do you then support the 49ers, your "local" hockey team and say the Lakers and the Mets.
If you are living in NY, how come you support the 49ers, the Mets and the Islanders?
If you live in San Francisco, how come you support, let's say, the Braves and the Rangers?
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
This is what I was looking to get to the bottom of.
For example(s)
If you are from "Randomsville" in the Midwest, how do you then support the 49ers, your "local" hockey team and say the Lakers and the Mets.
If you are living in NY, how come you support the 49ers, the Mets and the Islanders?
If you live in San Francisco, how come you support, let's say, the Braves and the Rangers?

I am a military brat so I spent the 1st 10 year of my life all over the place. But I was born in Texas and basically grew up here. Personally I'm a Niner fan because my favorite crayons when I was 5 were red and gold and the first football game I ever saw was the 81 SB because it was the only one on in Turkey. I saw the unis and followed them w/o even know what football was for a few years. When I was old enough to start following sports, I followed the Astros, Rockets and we were always a Longhorns house. that's my story.
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com