There are 87 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012 NBA Draft Thread

Originally posted by Amir:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Last year, everyone was saying that this year's draft was gonna be sick.

Maybe it's just me (I'm no expert like some of you guys) but I just don't see a true superstar in this draft.

Anthony davis definitely has superstar potential

Maybe so but he needs to add weight and strength. Remember he's 6'10 not 7"0+. IMO I don't see him ever dominating the NBA like he did the college game.

He's only 19. He's gonna add weight and strength.
  • Amir
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Maybe it's just me (I'm no expert like some of you guys) but I just don't see a true superstar in this draft.

Maybe so but he needs to add weight and strength. Remember he's 6'10 not 7"0+. IMO I don't see him ever dominating the NBA like he did the college game.

Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Dude went through an 8 inch growth spurt in 2 years and still has potential to grow taller. I'm sure he'll gain weight being in an NBA strength and conditioning program and he can be like a Kevin Garnett or a Marcus Camby.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Dude went through an 8 inch growth spurt in 2 years and still has potential to grow taller. I'm sure he'll gain weight being in an NBA strength and conditioning program and he can be like a Kevin Garnett or a Marcus Camby.

The whole "sudden growth spurt" thing is actually fairly common amongst big guys that end up being really good and versatile. They spent a certain part of their lives developing guard skills, then have some crazy growth spurt, and they end up being a 6'10" PF with great ball handling ability instead of a 6'3" SG with average handles.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

The whole "sudden growth spurt" thing is actually fairly common amongst big guys that end up being really good and versatile. They spent a certain part of their lives developing guard skills, then have some crazy growth spurt, and they end up being a 6'10" PF with great ball handling ability instead of a 6'3" SG with average handles.

That's what I was thinking. Davis spent time playing at guard before becoming a giant. I think the kid will really develop well.

Too bad Perry Jones couldn't develop as well as Davis.
That's what I was thinking. Davis spent time playing at guard before becoming a giant. I think the kid will really develop well.

Ya, I just don't think that Jones really loves basketball.

In all fairness though, Davis is so unique that it's unfair to compare Jones to him. When you're 19 years old and Bobby Knight is comparing you to Bill Russell, you're on a different plain than everyone else. I'd love to see Davis continue to get the hype that he's getting, because his brand of basketball is so different than most of the guys that usually get this kind of love. Did you know that he took the FOURTH most field goal attempts on his team this year? The National Player of the Year, sure fire #1 pick, & leader of the National Championship winner...and there were 3 other guys on his own team that took more shots than he did.

There's obviously a lot of value in guys like Jordan & Kobe, but I think they've largely "raised" a generation of bad basketball players, who didn't have their talent or work ethic, but did have their shooting mentality. It remains to be seen if Davis can do it, and I'd be surprised if he could because defense just isn't that sexy, but I hope he continues to get the hype and it rubs off on the 10-14 year old kids that will be in the NBA some day.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Apr 18, 2012 at 8:14 AM ]

Ya, I just don't think that Jones really loves basketball.

In all fairness though, Davis is so unique that it's unfair to compare Jones to him. When you're 19 years old and Bobby Knight is comparing you to Bill Russell, you're on a different plain than everyone else. I'd love to see Davis continue to get the hype that he's getting, because his brand of basketball is so different than most of the guys that usually get this kind of love. Did you know that he took the FOURTH most field goal attempts on his team this year? The National Player of the Year, sure fire #1 pick, & leader of the National Championship winner...and there were 3 other guys on his own team that took more shots than he did.

There's obviously a lot of value in guys like Jordan & Kobe, but I think they've largely "raised" a generation of bad basketball players, who didn't have their talent or work ethic, but did have their shooting mentality. It remains to be seen if Davis can do it, and I'd be surprised if he could because defense just isn't that sexy, but I hope he continues to get the hype and it rubs off on the 10-14 year old kids that will be in the NBA some day.

I could not agree more. Davis is exactly the kind of player that every team needs. He fits into a team concept and makes everyone around him better. Bill Russell was one of the greatest players ever and he is a perfect comparision to the potential of Anthony Davis. There is ZERO chance that he isnt the first player picked.
BUMP!
BUMP!

Yes yes yes
After watching some youtube videos I have decided who I want the Wolves to draft. SG Terrence Ross but after looking at some mock drafts most think he will be gone by the time we pick

Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
After watching some youtube videos I have decided who I want the Wolves to draft. SG Terrence Ross but after looking at some mock drafts most think he will be gone by the time we pick

Looks pretty good. I never watched any of his games, but he really does resemble Nick Young as far as his on court game.
Combine measurments: Andre Drummond with a 7'6" wingspan. John Henson at 7'5".
Who are the Spurs drafting? I'm assuming a C and SF/PF...but that would be too predictable for Buford and Pop?
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Combine measurments: Andre Drummond with a 7'6" wingspan. John Henson at 7'5".

I wonder what Dwight Howard's is. I googled it a couple times but got different answers

lol..7'6 is crazy