LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

Your Golden State Warriors. - Some Hope for the Future!

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Method:
ESPN is saying that the Dubs are balking at the idea of trading Curry without an assurance of an extension from Paul. Same with the Clippers & Gordon.

I've read that we will do the trade regardless.

I can find the links after I'm back from work.

No need to find the links, I believe you. At this point it's ALL speculation. I just don't think it's a good move. Curry's a very good player who's still on his rookie contract and is gonna be with the team for at least the next 3 years. And you're also giving up two guys with the potential to be very good role players. For a year of Chris Paul, hoping that his buddy Tyson Chandler (who you haven't signed yet) can convince him to stay? Bad move, IMO.

You do this deal every day of the week if CP3 wants to stay, but not under these circumstances.

I agree with you. And I am a Dub fan.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Do the f**king trade. Just take a god damn chance for once

You just know we're going to f**ked eventually right?

But I guess, it's oh well

Let's have Paul-Ellis-Wright-Lee-Chandler for one year. That's at least a 2nd round team.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Basically we have two likely scenarios and one dream scenario.

Scenario one: We do not trade Curry for Chris Paul. We challenge for the 8th seed this year, and remain a team that hangs around .500. We hope Udoh can devcelop into a defensive centerpiece .

Scenario two: We trade Curry for Chris Paul. We amnesty Biedrins and break the bank to massively overpay Tyson Chandler. We hope that our passionate fanbase and Tyson Chandler can convince Chris Paul to stay despite the allure of playing in New York. We make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs with Paul-Ellis-Wright-Lee-Chandler. But Chris Paul leaves anyways and we're left with Tyson Chandler making $15 million per year, and David Lee making $13M per year for a .500 team.

Dream scenario: We do the Paul trade, we still overpay for Chandler. But Chris Paul loves playing in the Bay Area, he loves the fans and thinks he can win here. Paul signs an extension because the Warriors have his Bird Rights and can offer him $20M more an extra year. The Warriors remain a playoff team for the next 4 years.
Oh man...reading all these articles, watching the old Sophomore team of Monta, Paul, and Lee, and listening to folks on the radio discuss the trade is making me a bit uneasy. I'm with crzy. I was a little negative about the trade too thinking that Paul would leave after the season, but if there's a possibility that he signs the extension, I'd jizz my pants no doubt. And great point about Curry wanting to play in Charlotte. He's mentioned it a lot.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO OR HOW TO FEEL!!!!
Just read about the Warriors schedule being very favorable this year and playing most of the NBA heavyweights at Oracle.

Great chance to show Paul the GSW atmosphere and perhaps win some games against very good teams?
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
We might have a good fanbase. But let's be real here. We're not the New York Knicks.

And what I mean by that is there is a negative perception of the Golden State Warriors franchise as whole by NBA players due to our years of losing, plus we don't have Madison Square Garden.

The Knicks are the most overrated franchise in sports, there is no doubt about that. But because of the legacy of Madison Square Garden and Spike Lee and all the b******t East Coast bias, and largest TV market, they're a free agent destination.

Add in the fact that Chris Paul would be playing with Carmelo and Amare, and he would take a few million less to sign there.

Even if a core of Paul, Chandler, Ellis, Wright and Lee gives us some success, I don't think we can compete with the allure of playing with Carmelo/Amare AND the allure of New York in the mind of Chris Paul.
[ Edited by crzy on Dec 7, 2011 at 10:03 AM ]
^^

That's how I felt yesterday. There's been so much talk this offseason (and last season as well) about CP3 wanting to go to NY. It's really hard to believe that he can forget about all that and suddenly play for us.
ESPN is saying that the Dubs are balking at the idea of trading Curry without an assurance of an extension from Paul. Same with the Clippers & Gordon.

I've read that we will do the trade regardless.

I can find the links after I'm back from work.

No need to find the links, I believe you. At this point it's ALL speculation. I just don't think it's a good move. Curry's a very good player who's still on his rookie contract and is gonna be with the team for at least the next 3 years. And you're also giving up two guys with the potential to be very good role players. For a year of Chris Paul, hoping that his buddy Tyson Chandler (who you haven't signed yet) can convince him to stay? Bad move, IMO.

You do this deal every day of the week if CP3 wants to stay, but not under these circumstances.

THIS!!! No way we make that trade without an extension from Paul. It would be stupid.
Damn... I was hoping to wake up and see that we traded for him already
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

I think it's foolish to trade for him unless he signs an extension.

Besides, do you think a Paul and Ellis backcourt would work?

Originally posted by niners4lyfe:

This

There is absolutely ZERO reason to think that it would work less than the backcourt we already have.

I answer you with what he said

Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
There is absolutely ZERO reason to think that it would work less than the backcourt we already have.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2011-12-07/warriors-gm-optimistic-about-landing-tyson-chandler

This pretty much assures what everyone has been talking about, but we are going to actively pursue Chandler
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2011-12-07/warriors-gm-optimistic-about-landing-tyson-chandler

This pretty much assures what everyone has been talking about, but we are going to actively pursue Chandler

I believe the Warriors will sign Chandler and trade Biedrins. Chris Paul.. no chance. Not gonna happen.
Share 49ersWebzone