There are 260 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2011-12 General NBA Discussion Thread

Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
It might be in the best interests of the Hornets to think about a possible sign and trade with New York. Not sure what NY would have to offer in return, though, if it would even work financially. Maybe Chauncy, Fields, Douglas, draft picks (Do they even have any?)

I'd be surprised if New Orleans & Orlando didn't learn their lessons from Toronto & Cleveland last year. You're right...they gotta get something for them.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 39,280
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
It might be in the best interests of the Hornets to think about a possible sign and trade with New York. Not sure what NY would have to offer in return, though, if it would even work financially. Maybe Chauncy, Fields, Douglas, draft picks (Do they even have any?)

I'd be surprised if New Orleans & Orlando didn't learn their lessons from Toronto & Cleveland last year. You're right...they gotta get something for them.

Either way they're f**ked.

Trading Chris Paul at this point would be getting f**ked with lube though instead of getting f**ked raw.
Originally posted by crzy:
Either way they're f**ked.

Trading Chris Paul at this point would be getting f**ked with lube though instead of getting f**ked raw.

That sounds f**ked
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,353
Paul could still force his way to New York and secure that five-year, $100 million contract, according to a draft of the league's new CBA and a few cap experts I consulted. How? The steps:

• Force the Hornets to trade him to the Knicks without signing a contract extension in the process. This is the tricky part. The Hornets don't have to trade Paul, and if they decide to, they don't have to trade him to New York. Other teams have better assets, and Paul will be counting on those teams to bow out of the bidding if they think he will not re-sign there. Does this sound familiar?

• If the Hornets eventually surrender and deal him to New York, Paul's Bird Rights go with him. He must then become a free agent, either by declining his player option for 2012-13, or accepting that option, playing that season and becoming a free agent in the summer of 2013. By entering free agency as a Knick, Paul would escape the limitations in years and money that would come with engaging in a Carmelo-type extend-and-trade deal under this new collective bargaining agreement.

• The last step is easy: Sign a five-year, $100 million extension with New York. The Knicks would have his Bird Rights, so they could exceed the cap as much as they wish to retain Paul.

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/12/01/loophole-could-get-chris-paul-to-n-y/
One thing that adds an interesting wrinkle to the D12/CP3 trade talk is the quality of the '12 draft. This will be an incredible draft class that will define the league for the next 7-8 years the way that the 1996 & 2003 drafts did. Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond, & Harrison Barnes look like future superstars. Jeremy Lamb, Brad Beal, John Henson, Perry Jones, Terrence Jones, Quincy Miller, James McAdoo, Austin Rivers, & Michael Gilchrist have the potential to be ones as well. IMO, there are 12-14 guys in this draft with all-star potential in this draft. Last year I thought there were 2.

There are always guys that surprise and disappoint, so who knows what we'll say in hindsight, but teams like Orlando & New Orleans might be best served to trade their superstars NOW, suck this year, and pick up their next cornerstone in this draft. Then again, if their front offices were smart, they would have been able to add quality talent around both D12 & CP3, so they'll probably sign & trade them after the year after getting records that lead to mid 1st round picks.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 39,280
How much does Paul get on the open market from New York. Anybody know the exact details of the new CBA in this regard?
Originally posted by crzy:
How much does Paul get on the open market from New York. Anybody know the exact details of the new CBA in this regard?

Short answer: It depends on whether or not the Knicks have his Bird rights. If they don't, it means about $20M less than if they did.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 39,280
I looked it up. Some sources say Paul gets 4 years, $74 million instead of 5 years, $100 million.

Theoretically Paul could get another 18-19 mil in a following year from New York once the 4 year one runs out.


So big picture....it's 5 years, $93 mil versus 5 years, $100 mil. It's only really a $7 million difference. Probably even less.



I was going to suggest that New Orleans sticks it to Paul by refusing to trade him. But they'd only screw him out of $7 million.


In the end, New Orleans will trade Paul to New York for one or two s**tty late first round picks and nothing else. Simply because Paul will refuse to sign an extension with another team and so New Orleans has no leverage in any trade.


He's basically holding them hostage.

New Orleans can either refuse to trade Chris Paul, force him to wait another year to sign in New York, and cost him $7 million.

Or they can trade him for s**tty first round picks.
[ Edited by crzy on Dec 2, 2011 at 2:32 PM ]
  • crzy
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 39,280
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by crzy:
How much does Paul get on the open market from New York. Anybody know the exact details of the new CBA in this regard?

Short answer: It depends on whether or not the Knicks have his Bird rights. If they don't, it means about $20M less than if they did.

It's only $20 million if you don't count the reality that Chris Paul could sign another contract after his 4 year deal runs out.
  • Amir
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,849
Originally posted by crzy:

New Orleans can either refuse to trade Chris Paul, force him to wait another year to sign in New York, and cost him $7 million.

Or they can trade him for s**tty first round picks.

And there's the biggest problem with the NBA. A player having SO MUCH leverage is just plain stupid.
Promo Video for the Celtics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EJuAtOaJr34
Originally posted by valrod33:
Promo Video for the Celtics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EJuAtOaJr34

Thats pretty cool, however, f**k THE CELTICS
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,353
Originally posted by crzy:
It's only $20 million if you don't count the reality that Chris Paul could sign another contract after his 4 year deal runs out.

no player goes ill take less money now to make more later. unless its a veteran player looking to win a title.

LOL at Barkley's interaction with Nelson.
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
The Spurs have decided to use the amnesty clause on contract of Richard Jefferson, league sources tell Y! Sports. He has 3 years, $30M left.