LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

San Jose goalie scores from his own box

• VDSF
  • Veteran

Kicking off the preseason as it prepares for a second straight year in the Premier League, West Brom traveled thousands of miles to California to have its goalkeeper shown up by his 21-year-old counterpart with a fluky 90-yard goal.

San Jose Earthquakes rookie goalkeeper David Bingham booted the ball from the edge of his own box in the third minute of play during a friendly against West Brom and the result was something even he didn't expect. West Brom keeper Boaz Myhill, who was facing the setting sun, clearly didn't expect it either as he was left flat-footed while the ball took a big bounce in front of him, went right over his head and into the back of the net.

San Jose eventually won 2-1 and after the match, Bingham admitted that he wasn't trying to score at all (via the AP):

"I didn't even see it go in," Bingham said. "I hit it and I knew I overhit it, so I just turned around and walked back. And then everyone started yelling… . Sometimes it's good to be lucky."

Link
Helluva bounce that ball took. As soon as I heard about it I knew it was the sun in the goalies eyes. Buckshaw stadium did not take the sunset in mind when they designed that place. It's like that every 7:30 game.

And yahoo story link makes WZ SMASH!!!
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Helluva bounce that ball took. As soon as I heard about it I knew it was the sun in the goalies eyes. Buckshaw stadium did not take the sunset in mind when they designed that place. It's like that every 7:30 game.

You a season ticket holder?
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

You a season ticket holder?

No, but I watch most the games on tv.
Share 49ersWebzone