There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2011 pac 12 football

Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Hey Sun - do you, and the people who go to ASU - get pissed when people say 'Zona?

we HATE it. 'Zona is a nickname for Arizona (the college). For example, U of A's student section is called the 'Zona Zoo.

We go by ASU, Arizona State or A-State. Never EVER go by just Arizona or 'Zona. Its like calling Oregon State "Oregon". Or calling UCLA the So Cal school.

Its funny because a lot of "experts" in the media even mix up he mascots or the cities for U of A and ASU. I guess we can't complain too much when we have 3 straight losing seasons

To OregonDucks -

You are missing my point. My point is true football talent is best measured by the draft, as it rates players and how they will do against the best. In college, you can get away with less talented players if they fit a great system. Oregon is the best example of this. They don't have the most talented players, but the players fit the system so well they can exploit the lack of all around talent in the college game.

And I believe Oregon is picked to win the PAC-12, so yeah the consensus is they are the better college team. That doesn't mean they are the most talented. Talent doesn't win games, execution and performance does. Oregon executes their system IMO better than anyone. But don't kid yourself and believe there is a huge difference in talent. Chip Kelly is a great coach who has mastered a system other teams struggle with.

And LaMichael James best college RB? I don't know about that. So much of his production is predicated on the QB read and threat of QB runs. He is extremely fast and no doubt a talented RB. I'm curious what his future 40 is as I think he could very well possibly the closest thing to Chris Johnson so far.

I think that you are thinking I'm disrespecting your program but I'm not, you gotta realize that Stanford has a group of extremely talented players, and IMO the main reason people aren't picking them to win the PAC is because of a 1st year coach, not because of the actual players.

But I think Stanford's new HC is better then people realize, Luck will make the transition a lot easier, and they play Oregon at home (not like Stanford has a home advantage, their fans are the WEAKEST). But they don't have to deal with Autzen.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Aug 6, 2011 at 12:47 AM ]
Oh and get ready for another year of the "meanest man in college football"

He actually worked out this summer which is the first time he has ever done that, lol. He said when he played Wisconsin he realized he needed to work out more to deal with NFL level O-lineman.

He plays reckless and will draw some flags, but personally I can live with it. I don't think he ever plays dirty (no intent to injure).

Most exciting ASU player I've ever seen (with our sophmore RB Deantre Lewis the 2nd most exciting, but no word if he will play. He was shot in the ass, no joke, lol. Hasn't fully recovered from nerve damage to his hammy).

I honestly don't think Burfict has even tapped into his potential yet, he plays on raw skill. If Burfcit becomes a workout warrior (like how insane P-Willy is), he could really be something great at the next level.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Aug 6, 2011 at 1:01 AM ]
@sundevil

Lol you missed my point again... Let me put it this way.

Better pro talent = Stanford

Better college talent = Oregon

Which you want to call the better talented team is up to you, but when talking about who is the more talented team COLLEGE wise, it is Oregon and I'm sorry, no homerism, but it is OREGON.

I mean like.... I don't know how else to put it. The discussion started with who was going to finish in atop the North standings in the Pac 12 and you said Stanford because they had the better "talent" and that is because they are more built for the pro game.

Fair enough, but as you saw last year, Oregon's college game is superior to Stanford's pro style game.

I don't know, I'm not trying to be a dick, but you are so stuck on the fact that Stanford is the more talented team when it comes to the pro style, and I'm not arguing that. However, we are talking about college talent since Stanford and Oregon are COLLEGE teams and will be battling for the top spot in COLLEGE, not based on who runs the better pro style offense.. And you can't deny that Oregon is the more talented college team... I mean, record, BCS standings and head-to-head match up back that up...

I think we are just arguing two separate things here.
[ Edited by OregonDuckNiner on Aug 6, 2011 at 1:51 AM ]
and holy s**t... that #7 is a beast

That was what I was talking about when mentioning the Zona defense

lol jk, but really, dude is scary
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Vrabbit - I don't know about that. ASU has a top 10 pick (Burfict) and 3 future mid-rounders (DE Onyeali, DT Sutton, OLB Magee). Magee might be late rounder, but he went under the radar due to Burfict hype but he is pretty good. Onyeali won D Frosh of the year. And Sutton no one has heard of due to academic probation, but the hype is he is a one-man highlight reel and the best D-Lineman last years fall and is in even better shape this year. I guess though I can't really put Sutton up there yet considering he only had oen promising frosh year under his belt. The other 3 spots will have solid seniors at.

I missed this, I'll reply when I get home from work

although if there's something we can agree on, is that #7 for ASU is a BAD man
[ Edited by vrabbit on Aug 6, 2011 at 9:23 AM ]
No problem OregonDuck, the great thing is those 2 teams will be playing each other.

I'm thinking of going to that game, Stanford tickets are so easy to come by. Their fans are the worst, they have no passion whatsoever and I speak from experience, I go to at least 1 stanford game a year. The funniest thing is their "frat" parties, which are soooo weak and their pre-game tailgates are pretty tame. Which sucks because PA has such perfect weather during football season.
No problem OregonDuck, the great thing is those 2 teams will be playing each other.

I'm thinking of going to that game, Stanford tickets are so easy to come by. Their fans are the worst, they have no passion whatsoever and I speak from experience, I go to at least 1 stanford game a year. The funniest thing is their "frat" parties, which are soooo weak and their pre-game tailgates are pretty tame. Which sucks because PA has such perfect weather during football season.

lol its funny you say that because I grew up a Stanford football fan.

I've probably been to 50 games at Stanford stadium in my life so I know how weak the fans are.

It was weird when Stanford played at Oregon last year because everyone was HATING on Stanford with all the talk of a possible upset. It was weird... I just couldn't find it in myself to say "f**k stanford"
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

I've probably been to 50 games at Stanford stadium in my life so I know how weak the fans are.

It was weird when Stanford played at Oregon last year because everyone was HATING on Stanford with all the talk of a possible upset. It was weird... I just couldn't find it in myself to say "f**k stanford"

Dude, I am in the same boat. I was all Stanford growing up since my dad got his masters there, and he always talks s**t to my cousins and their dads since they're all Cal. Then when it was my turn, I ended up going to Cal too, so now I'm forever in this purgatory of never being able to hate on either school lol.
[ Edited by blunt_probe on Aug 6, 2011 at 2:21 PM ]
Originally posted by blunt_probe:

Dude, I am in the same boat. I was all Stanford growing up since my dad got his masters there, and he always talks s**t to my cousins and their dads since they're all Cal. Then when it was my turn, I ended up going to Cal too, so now I'm forever in this purgatory of never being able to hate on either school lol.

Oh no LOL well Cal Stanford is a little different than Oregon Stanford so I feel bad for you lol.

Have you officially switched over to the dark side or are you still a closet Stanford fan?

And yeah, my dad and his bro grew up like 10 min away from the stadium so they were fans. And in turn, I became one when we went to like EVERY SINGLE home game for like 10 years.

I miss that, tailgating with the family and watching Stanford get creamed by San Jose St.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:

Oh no LOL well Cal Stanford is a little different than Oregon Stanford so I feel bad for you lol.

Have you officially switched over to the dark side or are you still a closet Stanford fan?

And yeah, my dad and his bro grew up like 10 min away from the stadium so they were fans. And in turn, I became one when we went to like EVERY SINGLE home game for like 10 years.

I miss that, tailgating with the family and watching Stanford get creamed by San Jose St.

I pull for both schools, but when they play against each other, I have to side with Cal. Still, it doesn't bother me if they lose, so yeah, it's pretty weird to say the least. My mom has kind of went full cal since I went there, and my dad has virtually stopped all the trash talk for my sake.

You're lucky that you got to go to games, because going to any sporting event is a very rare occurrence in my family.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Vrabbit - I don't know about that. ASU has a top 10 pick (Burfict) and 3 future mid-rounders (DE Onyeali, DT Sutton, OLB Magee). Magee might be late rounder, but he went under the radar due to Burfict hype but he is pretty good. Onyeali won D Frosh of the year. And Sutton no one has heard of due to academic probation, but the hype is he is a one-man highlight reel and the best D-Lineman last years fall and is in even better shape this year. I guess though I can't really put Sutton up there yet considering he only had oen promising frosh year under his belt. The other 3 spots will have solid seniors at.

ok here it goes.

as a team who's been playing a 3-4 for a few years, our LB's are very important to your front 7, and LB is the deepest position on the team. D.J. Holt and Kendricks in the middle are more than a handful, and OLB is particularly the deepest core of the LB group, we may even have 2 freshmen start on the outside and not because we don't have anyone better to play, senior Ryan Davis is pretty damn good himself. Obviously the frosh haven't done anything at this level to be able to boast about them, but they were pretty high in their class rank and as a Cal fan you definitely have to be excited about them.

as far as the D-line goes, I don't expect Owusu and Guyton to be first round picks like Jordan and Alualu, but they are not too shabby either. They're both excellent 3-4 DE's who play both the run and the pass (rush) very well and they will benefit from having the talented linebackers behind them. There's also talent behind them in Coleman and King, who I wouldn't mind to see starting should one of the junior DE's get hurt. NT is not even a concern, Tipoti filled in well last season when Hill had to be subbed out, and Payne is an exact same replica of him, but I'm WAY more excited about the true frosh Moala anyways, he's gonna be real REAL good
Its official, debut of our black jerseys Friday night against Mizzou. We will try to rep the Pac-12 well, but its gonna be a tough game.

Fear the Fork b***hes

ok here it goes.

as a team who's been playing a 3-4 for a few years, our LB's are very important to your front 7, and LB is the deepest position on the team. D.J. Holt and Kendricks in the middle are more than a handful, and OLB is particularly the deepest core of the LB group, we may even have 2 freshmen start on the outside and not because we don't have anyone better to play, senior Ryan Davis is pretty damn good himself. Obviously the frosh haven't done anything at this level to be able to boast about them, but they were pretty high in their class rank and as a Cal fan you definitely have to be excited about them.

as far as the D-line goes, I don't expect Owusu and Guyton to be first round picks like Jordan and Alualu, but they are not too shabby either. They're both excellent 3-4 DE's who play both the run and the pass (rush) very well and they will benefit from having the talented linebackers behind them. There's also talent behind them in Coleman and King, who I wouldn't mind to see starting should one of the junior DE's get hurt. NT is not even a concern, Tipoti filled in well last season when Hill had to be subbed out, and Payne is an exact same replica of him, but I'm WAY more excited about the true frosh Moala anyways, he's gonna be real REAL good

Kendrick picked by Ted Miller as the 16th best player in the PAC-12. (on his ESPN blog). Kendrick is pretty good.

Ted Miller's blog is decent. I don't think he really does that much analysis, he pretty much does his analysis on last years numbers. He is counting down top 25 players, no body from the AZ schools yet and 2 from Stanford and Wash St.

Rodney Stewart is going to be interesting to see what he does. I remember he beat out like 2 5-star or 4-star recruits and was just the small little 3-star recruit who ran unbelievably hard. I remember watching him his frosh and soph year and just laughing at all the highly rated RBs watch this little guy take over the position.
http://arizonastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1248174

good pac-12 preview