There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2011 pac 12 football

Happy to say I can be part of this thread!

• Paul
  • Veteran

GO UTES
For anybody in Salt Lake that had to deal with "The Mtn." It's nice we don't have to deal with that mess anymore.
http://www.blocku.com/2011/7/22/2289270/utes-sign-local-deal-with-kjzz-to-air-select-games-for-11-season
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Jul 22, 2011 at 10:37 PM ]
Not only does my 49ers get some FA's today, but the Utes started practice! Whoo hoo!
I want college football back

Scratch that, I NEED college football back NOW

[crackaddictscratchingarmfuriously]
Should be a good inaugral year in the PAC-12. My prediction

North
1. Stanford - slightly more talent than Oregon and play Oregon at home
2. Oregon - Lots of off field issues and they need Cliff Harris on the field
3. Cal - If their new QB plays decent, Cal should have a good team
4. Washington - Program is improving, but I think Kearse/Polk are over rated
5. Oregon State - Lot of question marks on their roster and no 'Quiz
6. Washington State - Outside 2 players, this roster is terrible

South
1. USC - Inexperience on the O-line and I'm not sold on their D, but Barkley is really good and again they are stacked at skill positions
2. ASU - Good chance they dissapoint. Inexperienced and inconsistent QB, and they've lost their #1 CB, #2 RB, #3 WR, #3 DE, #4 DE this summer. Still, their front 7 is the best in the PAC and their new offense puts up impressive numbers
3. Arizona - Foles and Criner are lethal, but Stoops will have to quickly rebuild a D-line that was their best strength last year anchored by 2 draft picks at the ends
4. Utah - I think their secondary is way to suspect to do much better
5. UCLA - I'm betting disaster in Pasedena, its insane how they can't get a healthy QB that can play decent
6. Colorado - Rodney Stewart is a good candidate to lead the PAC-12 in rushing, but everything else on their team spells disaster.

Championship game: Stanford over ASU (USC not elgible)
I might say Cal's front 7 is as good if not better than ASU's
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Should be a good inaugral year in the PAC-12. My prediction

North
1. Stanford - slightly more talent than Oregon and play Oregon at home
2. Oregon - Lots of off field issues and they need Cliff Harris on the field
3. Cal - If their new QB plays decent, Cal should have a good team
4. Washington - Program is improving, but I think Kearse/Polk are over rated
5. Oregon State - Lot of question marks on their roster and no 'Quiz
6. Washington State - Outside 2 players, this roster is terrible

South
1. USC - Inexperience on the O-line and I'm not sold on their D, but Barkley is really good and again they are stacked at skill positions
2. ASU - Good chance they dissapoint. Inexperienced and inconsistent QB, and they've lost their #1 CB, #2 RB, #3 WR, #3 DE, #4 DE this summer. Still, their front 7 is the best in the PAC and their new offense puts up impressive numbers
3. Arizona - Foles and Criner are lethal, but Stoops will have to quickly rebuild a D-line that was their best strength last year anchored by 2 draft picks at the ends
4. Utah - I think their secondary is way to suspect to do much better
5. UCLA - I'm betting disaster in Pasedena, its insane how they can't get a healthy QB that can play decent
6. Colorado - Rodney Stewart is a good candidate to lead the PAC-12 in rushing, but everything else on their team spells disaster.

Championship game: Stanford over ASU (USC not elgible)

Stanford has more talent than Oregon?

I would love to hear that explanation.

And I think its one of the Zonas that takes the South. I love ASU's defense this year.
[ Edited by OregonDuckNiner on Aug 5, 2011 at 12:59 PM ]
Vrabbit - I don't know about that. ASU has a top 10 pick (Burfict) and 3 future mid-rounders (DE Onyeali, DT Sutton, OLB Magee). Magee might be late rounder, but he went under the radar due to Burfict hype but he is pretty good. Onyeali won D Frosh of the year. And Sutton no one has heard of due to academic probation, but the hype is he is a one-man highlight reel and the best D-Lineman last years fall and is in even better shape this year. I guess though I can't really put Sutton up there yet considering he only had oen promising frosh year under his belt. The other 3 spots will have solid seniors at.

Stanford is stacked with talent. Andrew Luck, Jonathin Martin OT, Chris Owusu, Chase Thomas OLB, Stepfan Taylor RB, David DeCastro OG are all guys that will be going early in the Draft. They also have a good pair of Safeties that will be draft picks.

I'm not the only one with this opinion. ESPN ranked Stanford #2 in the nation for being stacked with future NFL picks (USC was #5, Oregon was not on in the top 10).

As good as Oregon is, their players aren't as elite as their record. Oregon just has a great system and gets players that fit in it and can run it to perfection. Just look at how many Ducks got drafted last year (only one I believe).

And don't ever say "Zona" and reference our school .
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Aug 5, 2011 at 1:37 PM ]
Vrabbit - I don't know about that. ASU has a top 10 pick (Burfict) and 3 future mid-rounders (DE Onyeali, DT Sutton, OLB Magee). Magee might be late rounder, but he went under the radar due to Burfict hype but he is pretty good. Onyeali won D Frosh of the year. And Sutton no one has heard of due to academic probation, but the hype is he is a one-man highlight reel and the best D-Lineman last years fall and is in even better shape this year. I guess though I can't really put Sutton up there yet considering he only had oen promising frosh year under his belt. The other 3 spots will have solid seniors at.

Stanford is stacked with talent. Andrew Luck, Jonathin Martin OT, Chris Owusu, Chase Thomas OLB, Stepfan Taylor RB, David DeCastro OG are all guys that will be going early in the Draft. They also have a good pair of Safeties that will be draft picks.

I'm not the only one with this opinion. ESPN ranked Stanford #2 in the nation for being stacked with future NFL picks (USC was #5, Oregon was not on in the top 10).

As good as Oregon is, their players aren't as elite as their record. Oregon just has a great system and gets players that fit in it and can run it to perfection. Just look at how many Ducks got drafted last year (only one I believe).

lol pro talent has nothing to do with how much talent a team has AT THE COLLEGE LEVEL.

Sure, maybe Stanford has the better pro prospects, but Oregon's team is built for the College game, hence why they are the better team and by far have the better talent.

I'm sorry, but you can't call Stanford the better team since they have better pro prospects... that's just illogical.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

lol pro talent has nothing to do with how much talent a team has AT THE COLLEGE LEVEL.

Sure, maybe Stanford has the better pro prospects, but Oregon's team is built for the College game, hence why they are the better team and by far have the better talent.

I'm sorry, but you can't call Stanford the better team since they have better pro prospects... that's just illogical.

No, that is logical. NFL scouts are a pretty objective measure of talent. You really going to tell me there are 1st-3rd round NFL picks that weren't good in college?

Oregon isn't an elite talent level team. Oregon uses a system that enables them to be so succesful. Its not the players, its the system that is so good. A lot of college players/systems are extremely effecive at the college level because their opponents don't have the speed to limit how much space their oponnent has. At NFL, everybody has speed to limit space. Its not that the game of NFL and College is different, its that in college talent is so spread out it allows for a lot to be exploited.

And saying they "by far have the better talent" is just homerism. Even if Oregon had more talent, no way would it be "by far".
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Aug 5, 2011 at 4:39 PM ]

No, that is logical. NFL scouts are a pretty objective measure of talent. You really going to tell me there are 1st-3rd round NFL picks that weren't good in college?

Oregon isn't an elite talent level team. Oregon uses a system that enables them to be so succesful. Its not the players, its the system that is so good. A lot of college players/systems are extremely effecive at the college level because their opponents don't have the speed to limit how much space their oponnent has. At NFL, everybody has speed to limit space. Its not that the game of NFL and College is different, its that in college talent is so spread out it allows for a lot to be exploited.

And saying they "by far have the better talent" is just homerism. Even if Oregon had more talent, no way would it be "by far".

Sure it is the system, but you need players who fit the system. Oregon gets the players that best fit the up-tempo style of play and they in turn thrive in the environment.

And sure, we aren't an elite talent level school, but neither is Stanford and not by a long shot. It wasn't until a last season or 2 when Stanford was getting top recruits and before that, their academic standards severely limited the amount of talent they could bring in every year.

And you are missing the point of my argument. I agree that scouts know what they are looking for in potential talent and I know that Stanford will put out way more pro talent than Oregon will year in and year out. Even though LaMike is the best college RB in the Nation, he'll probably be nothing more than a 3rd-4th rounder in the draft.

HOWEVER, potential pro talent and current college talent are completely different things because they are two completely different games.

When you say that Stanford has more talent than Oregon, you have to say "pro talent" because Oregon way more "college style" talent and the head-to-head matchup last season and the BCS rankings and whatnot are back that up.

We aren't talking about how these teams talent will translate to the NFL and in turn, making them the better players. We are talking about who will do better in college game in 2012 and I guarantee you that the general consensus is that Oregon has way more college talent than Stanford.

Plus, you can't take anything away from LaMike and Thomas and say it is the system that makes them who they are. Both are extremely good COLLEGE football players who thrive in this system and that is all that matters when comparing Stanford to Oregon.
Hey Sun - do you, and the people who go to ASU - get pissed when people say 'Zona?
  • bors
  • Veteran

Sure it is the system, but you need players who fit the system. Oregon gets the players that best fit the up-tempo style of play and they in turn thrive in the environment.

And sure, we aren't an elite talent level school, but neither is Stanford and not by a long shot. It wasn't until a last season or 2 when Stanford was getting top recruits and before that, their academic standards severely limited the amount of talent they could bring in every year.

And you are missing the point of my argument. I agree that scouts know what they are looking for in potential talent and I know that Stanford will put out way more pro talent than Oregon will year in and year out. Even though LaMike is the best college RB in the Nation, he'll probably be nothing more than a 3rd-4th rounder in the draft.

HOWEVER, potential pro talent and current college talent are completely different things because they are two completely different games.

When you say that Stanford has more talent than Oregon, you have to say "pro talent" because Oregon way more "college style" talent and the head-to-head matchup last season and the BCS rankings and whatnot are back that up.

We aren't talking about how these teams talent will translate to the NFL and in turn, making them the better players. We are talking about who will do better in college game in 2012 and I guarantee you that the general consensus is that Oregon has way more college talent than Stanford.

Plus, you can't take anything away from LaMike and Thomas and say it is the system that makes them who they are. Both are extremely good COLLEGE football players who thrive in this system and that is all that matters when comparing Stanford to Oregon.
mmmmm go ducks YELL O
Everyone seems to be forgetting that Oregon has been taking a few tips from USC and have been turning a blind eye to off field issues and character issues in order to bring in better talent.