Los Angeles Lakers Offseason Thread

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Dwight isn't going anywhere Laker fans.

Time to find a new way to rebuild

Delusional. 100% chance he leaves Orlando, like very star they've had before. Like it or not (I hate it) he and another star, likely Paul, will end up in LA. It's only been happening for 50 years. Basketball is the one sport where everyone sees your face all the time, most of these guys are attnetion whores, there's no place you can get more attention than LA.

You honestly believes its 100% chance he leaves?

I'd say its 50/50..and the 50 of him leaving is pushing it.

He has never EVER claimed to say he wants out of Orlando. Not once. Its media shoving s**t out there for people to talk about. They could do this for anybody thats coming up on a contract year. Dwight has made it very clear he loves playing in Orlando and would like to retire w/ the Magic. Sure, people may change their mind and something MAY happen. But there is NO way its 100% he is leaving. Thats just ridiculous. From what I've read recently Dwight has actually said he wants CP3 in Orlando with him and has made that clear to Otis Smith.

You won't be ROFl when it happens, just like Shaq. What's he going to say publicly "Hey fans, I gave you a nice run, but I saw Shaq making movies and commercials when he bolted for LA while winning championships, so I'm totally going to do that too!" OR, "I don't want to leave this subpar team that's saddled with bad contracts and a coach I publicly question, I'd much rather lose to the Heat every year so I can be the Ewing of my generation and get oh so close!"
Of course he's going to say all the right things in public. Why didn't he sign instead of going in to next year in lame duck situation? Why didn't LBJ, Carmelo, etc? Because they knew they were bolting. There's a lockout coming and the money won't be there after this year, why do you turn down more money guaranteed unless you are leaving?
Tell yourself whatever you want, but we've seen this story before. Here come another decade of futility.

Reminds me of that chick on SNL who use to put her hands in her armpits then smell her fingers
The biggest room improvement on this team is Pau resolving whatever the hell THAT was. We definitely have other issues to address, but it's all moot if we're paying a guy $19M a year to do what he did in these playoffs.

I don't think Shaw's gonna get the coaching gig. I don't think we're gonna run the triangle next year either. I have nothing to base that off of, just a hunch. I'd like to see us pursue Rick Adelman, personally.

We can't have Kobe being the only person that can run the offense AND have the responsibility of being our #1 scoring option anymore. He's carried that load for too long, and he has too many miles on him to continue to do it. I actually thought he played pretty well in the postseason, but the complete lack of any explosivity in the Fisher/Artest/Blake/Barnes group really hurt. Shannon Brown was our only athlete, and almost all he did was jack up contested jumpers.

I think we look to upgrade Fisher (long overdue), but I think "blowing this team up" is premature. I think that Lamar is the most likely piece to be used to acquire a PG that can run a more traditional offense, and the organization will cross their fingers that Bynum can hold up.

FWIW, the couple of people that I talk to that are connected to the league have said that the perception around the league is that D12's desire to come to LA and play with Kobe is very real. It should be interesting to see how that plays out.

And I think the Lakers have a very outside chance at Steve Nash. But that require Nash asking Phoenix to trade him so he has a chance to win a title.
Looking for a coach? Keith Smart is available.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
The biggest room improvement on this team is Pau resolving whatever the hell THAT was. We definitely have other issues to address, but it's all moot if we're paying a guy $19M a year to do what he did in these playoffs.

I don't think Shaw's gonna get the coaching gig. I don't think we're gonna run the triangle next year either. I have nothing to base that off of, just a hunch. I'd like to see us pursue Rick Adelman, personally.

We can't have Kobe being the only person that can run the offense AND have the responsibility of being our #1 scoring option anymore. He's carried that load for too long, and he has too many miles on him to continue to do it. I actually thought he played pretty well in the postseason, but the complete lack of any explosivity in the Fisher/Artest/Blake/Barnes group really hurt. Shannon Brown was our only athlete, and almost all he did was jack up contested jumpers.

I think we look to upgrade Fisher (long overdue), but I think "blowing this team up" is premature. I think that Lamar is the most likely piece to be used to acquire a PG that can run a more traditional offense, and the organization will cross their fingers that Bynum can hold up.

FWIW, the couple of people that I talk to that are connected to the league have said that the perception around the league is that D12's desire to come to LA and play with Kobe is very real. It should be interesting to see how that plays out.

And I think the Lakers have a very outside chance at Steve Nash. But that require Nash asking Phoenix to trade him so he has a chance to win a title.

What about using Lamar to get a good PG plus a solid bench player and then bring Fisher off the bench. No matter how limited he is, Fisher is a very important piece to the Lakers success. Hell, look at what he did with his brief stint in Utah and the Warriors. He would be a good player to have come off the bench.

What needs to go are the inconsistent players in terms of effort. Odom has been better this year but his career is all about inconsistency and Artest's run with LA was nice but it's done. You may get some solid pieces in return from those two.

With Pau, Bynum, and Bryant, you don't need superstars. Lakers have missed the solid to slightly above average role players who don't give you a lot, but are always there for you when you need something.

Delusional. 100% chance he leaves Orlando, like very star they've had before. Like it or not (I hate it) he and another star, likely Paul, will end up in LA. It's only been happening for 50 years. Basketball is the one sport where everyone sees your face all the time, most of these guys are attnetion whores, there's no place you can get more attention than LA.

He has never EVER claimed to say he wants out of Orlando. Not once. Its media shoving s**t out there for people to talk about. They could do this for anybody thats coming up on a contract year. Dwight has made it very clear he loves playing in Orlando and would like to retire w/ the Magic. Sure, people may change their mind and something MAY happen. But there is NO way its 100% he is leaving. Thats just ridiculous. From what I've read recently Dwight has actually said he wants CP3 in Orlando with him and has made that clear to Otis Smith.

You won't be ROFl when it happens, just like Shaq. What's he going to say publicly "Hey fans, I gave you a nice run, but I saw Shaq making movies and commercials when he bolted for LA while winning championships, so I'm totally going to do that too!" OR, "I don't want to leave this subpar team that's saddled with bad contracts and a coach I publicly question, I'd much rather lose to the Heat every year so I can be the Ewing of my generation and get oh so close!"
Of course he's going to say all the right things in public. Why didn't he sign instead of going in to next year in lame duck situation? Why didn't LBJ, Carmelo, etc? Because they knew they were bolting. There's a lockout coming and the money won't be there after this year, why do you turn down more money guaranteed unless you are leaving?
Tell yourself whatever you want, but we've seen this story before. Here come another decade of futility.

damn you pwned him
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by susweel:
The return to greatness begins, lets to do another back to back.

Without Phil, case closed.

You do know the Lakers won titles before Phil.

Meh bad: without Phil or Pat Riley; case closed.

Wouldn't it be crazy if Pat Riley hires Phil in MIA.

Gonna have to agree to disagree dude, I don't see it happening at all.

With LeBron, Carmelo they were already in s**tty situations. Especially LeBron. Cleveland wasn't going to win a title or come close. Denver was lucky if they made the playoffs. Orlando has already been to the finals and just came off another 50+ win season. It's not like he's wasting his time with a bunch of subpar talent. Orlando has been a pretty damn good team and has a GM who maybe hasn't made all the right moves, but obviously isn't afraid of making a move to keep Dwight in Orlando. Plus you think Dwight is just gonna leave because he can't beat the Heat? Really? You compare Dwight to LeBron and Carmelo but seem to just ignore other superstars who have been in the same situation (Kobe Bryant anyone?) where everyone was saying "Oh he's gone for sure"...yeah..look where he is..you know why? Because he had a GM and coach that knew HE was the team and were willing to work to put a team around him. Not EVERY superstar just bolts they had a bad year. Like I said though man, none of us know what will happen, I just think saying he's 100% gone is pretty ridiculous. Just my two cents.

[ Edited by jrg on May 10, 2011 at 10:53:36 ]

Jordan>>Kobe>>LeBron

• TX9R
  • Veteran

With LeBron, Carmelo they were already in s**tty situations. Especially LeBron. Cleveland wasn't going to win a title or come close. Denver was lucky if they made the playoffs. Orlando has already been to the finals and just came off another 50+ win season. It's not like he's wasting his time with a bunch of subpar talent. Orlando has been a pretty damn good team and has a GM who maybe hasn't made all the right moves, but obviously isn't afraid of making a move to keep Dwight in Orlando. Plus you think Dwight is just gonna leave because he can't beat the Heat? Really? You compare Dwight to LeBron and Carmelo but seem to just ignore other superstars who have been in the same situation (Kobe Bryant anyone?) where everyone was saying "Oh he's gone for sure"...yeah..look where he is..you know why? Because he had a GM and coach that knew HE was the team and were willing to work to put a team around him. Not EVERY superstar just bolts they had a bad year. Like I said though man, none of us know what will happen, I just think saying he's 100% gone is pretty ridiculous. Just my two cents.

Shaq was in the exact same situation with a better younger team and left. The only one who stayed was Kobe, already coming off winning and in the biggest market for basketball. All the other small market guys bolted for bigger markets. LBJ was in the same situation went to a finals and had similar records with his team. Hey whatever helps you sleep at night bro. Will you still root for D12 when he's in another uniform. Personally I'm torn, I like him and Paul and will have a hard time rooting against them when they're in LA. Why am I posting in a Laker thread?

Shaq was in the exact same situation with a better younger team and left. The only one who stayed was Kobe, already coming off winning and in the biggest market for basketball. All the other small market guys bolted for bigger markets. LBJ was in the same situation went to a finals and had similar records with his team. Hey whatever helps you sleep at night bro. Will you still root for D12 when he's in another uniform. Personally I'm torn, I like him and Paul and will have a hard time rooting against them when they're in LA. Why am I posting in a Laker thread?

Lol, Dwight will always remain one of my favorite players. I want to see him retire with Orlando, though. I just have a gut feeling Dwight will be back. Not every superstar ditches his team after their contract is up. Lol we'll see though.

Jordan>>Kobe>>LeBron

Lebron isn't even in the discussion yet, he gotta get some rings first.
Oh no, sorry I guess that would be confusing. I meant he could go from Jordan to Kobe to LeBron.

Jordan>>Kobe>>LeBron

Lebron isn't even in the discussion yet, he gotta get some rings first.

That's what Jordan just said about Kobe after Sunday.
Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com