There are 226 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Horse Racing

The most exciting two minutes in sports is this Saturday. I realize I am getting a little "fringey", but this used to be one of the U.S.A.'s major sports. The Kentucky Derby is still a major event, and it's still a great excuse to have a glass of bourbon before noon.

Anybody getting in on the action with this class of ponies?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I used to follow and bet the horses a lot. Unfortunately the edge I had to make steady extra income betting horses vanished. I still bet a few times a year. I actually went to the derby in 1999. What a mad house in that infield, I think I saw more boobs and drunk people in one day than in my previous 38 years combined.
Horse racing and dog racing need to go away. It's barely a step above dog and cock fighting.
I am rooting for boner in sweatpants
You had me at "bourbon before noon"
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
You had me at "bourbon before noon"

As far as the cruelty aspect goes, isn't that a bit of an over-reaction? Dog fighting, i'll give you that. But horse racing? I guess I haven't heard much negative feedback about it outside of putting horses down who break a leg.

[ Edited by DertyDonahue on May 6, 2011 at 15:20:13 ]
Can't wait! Got my Knob Creek bourbon all set. I'm goin with Twice the Appeal to win the derby. I almost picked Mucho Macho Man because that's probably the best name for a horse I've ever heard.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
As far as the cruelty aspect goes, isn't that a bit of an over-reaction? Dog fighting, i'll give you that. But horse racing? I guess I haven't heard much negative feedback about it outside of putting horses down who break a leg.

Anyone who has ever rode a horse knows they are pretty high strung at the ages they are raced, and will run all over the place if left in a large pasture. Even pleasure horses injure themselves when no one is on them. Putting a horse down when it breaks a leg is the humane thing to do. They have to stand for their digestive system to function, so if they can't stand they won't survive. You can't put a cast on a horse and have it lay down for 4 weeks till it heals.