LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 176 users in the forums

What is more difficult for a major league baseball hitter??

What is more difficult for a major league baseball hitter??

I saw this question on PTI yesterday, I wondered what other people thought about this. HaiGuise (BTW great handle) pointed out correctly that the question should be worded differently. His insight was appreciated and spot on.

The poll question should be "The question would have to be which is more likely rather than which is more difficult. Hitters try to hit a ball. They don't try to not hit a ball." - HaiGuise

[ Edited by DertyDonahue on May 6, 2011 at 01:25:59 ]
hitless streak
They are equal since they have both been done one time.
Think about this.

In baseball, you are considered a good hitter if you succeed at least 30% of the time and get on base 40% of the time.
There's gotta be some pitchers that could easily not get a hit... or are they excluded from the scenario?
An 0-46 is the type of thing that could end a career
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
There's gotta be some pitchers that could easily not get a hit... or are they excluded from the scenario?

Yeah, pitchers are excluded from the record.
Originally posted by HaiGuise:

When I said its been done once I excluded pitchers
Even if trying, but if trying to accomplish either, than the hitting streak of course.
Well, Raul Ibanez is in the 6-hole tonight against none other than Livian Hernandez. He is riding an 0 for 32 at this point.

Info on the current record holder:

The all-time leader, not counting pitchers of course, is Bill Bergen. Born in North Brookfield and a Worcester resident when he died, Bergen holds most baseball records for being the worst hitter among regular position players. He was a catcher, and during the 1909 season with the Dodgers had an 0-for-46 streak.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_longest_hitless_streak_in_major_league_baseball#ixzz1LKTlrF45

[ Edited by DertyDonahue on May 3, 2011 at 15:01:38 ]

Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
Well, Raul Ibanez is in the 6-hole tonight against none other than Livian Hernandez. He is riding an 0 for 32 at this point.

Info on the current record holder:

The all-time leader, not counting pitchers of course, is Bill Bergen. Born in North Brookfield and a Worcester resident when he died, Bergen holds most baseball records for being the worst hitter among regular position players. He was a catcher, and during the 1909 season with the Dodgers had an 0-for-46 streak.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_longest_hitless_streak_in_major_league_baseball#ixzz1LKTlrF45

Damn. That's way below even the mendoza line.
How is a hitless streak difficult? I have no talent and could beat that record.
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:

Wow.. had no idea. Ibanez needs to retire.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
How is a hitless streak difficult? I have no talent and could beat that record.

if you can make contact im sure you would get at least one bloop hit in 46 tries
hitting streak is more difficult

you can force yourself to a hitless streak.. but who would want to do that
Share 49ersWebzone