There are 216 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Round 2: Lakers 0 vs. Mavs 4

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by susweel:
Lakers aren't gonna change any thing, they are the better team and the better team always wins a 7 game series.

57-25

As opposed to last year, when the Lakers went 57-25.

What's that have to do with this year?

This DAL team is appears to be matching up very well and they are defending the paint very well. If you told me Kobe was going to light it up and Pau and Odom with 15 points along with double-doubles and even add in Fisher's 2nd quarter impact and I would say Lakers win.

Lakers will probably still get by this round because they will definitely up the physicality but this is going to be a fun series to watch as both teams have the legit go-to guy along with experience around him.

DAL bench has a great opportunity here to close gaps or create larger gaps during parts of games.

How is it you seem to know more about the Lakers and their opponents than you do the Spurs and their opponents?

Who doesn't know the Hornets and Mavs more than Memphis?

The Spurs. They know now who their daddy is
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by susweel:
Lakers aren't gonna change any thing, they are the better team and the better team always wins a 7 game series.

57-25

As opposed to last year, when the Lakers went 57-25.

What's that have to do with this year?

This DAL team is appears to be matching up very well and they are defending the paint very well. If you told me Kobe was going to light it up and Pau and Odom with 15 points along with double-doubles and even add in Fisher's 2nd quarter impact and I would say Lakers win.

Lakers will probably still get by this round because they will definitely up the physicality but this is going to be a fun series to watch as both teams have the legit go-to guy along with experience around him.

DAL bench has a great opportunity here to close gaps or create larger gaps during parts of games.

How is it you seem to know more about the Lakers and their opponents than you do the Spurs and their opponents?

Who doesn't know the Hornets and Mavs more than Memphis?

The Spurs. They know now who their daddy is

I just hope MEM cleans house in the West so it ain't so bad getting ousted to them. Didn't actually think the Spurs had the right group to go past the 2nd round. They became all of those teams they used to beat years ago: a team without an inside presence.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by susweel:
Lakers aren't gonna change any thing, they are the better team and the better team always wins a 7 game series.

57-25

As opposed to last year, when the Lakers went 57-25.

This Laker team isn't as good as last year...or at least in the minds of their opponents. Teams playing against them aren't scared of them this year. That aura of invincibility is gone.

Mavs had to win game 1 to have a chance...and Lakers are still favored to win Dallas IMO - because I still believe Lakers have terrific match-ups in this series - but unlike past years - Lakers can't afford to play great for 45 minutes and win games. Their margin of error is pretty small this year, as compared to last couple years.

I would be thrilled if the Lakers played great for 45 minutes. They play great when they feel threatened or feel like they can close a team out. This team's absolutely more talented that last year's squad with a healthy Bynum. But as soon as they got up 16 they just started jacking up shots, not contesting the 3 point line and just playing generally lazy basketball.

They got up big and coasted and got burned. If the Lakers were playing balls out and this was happening, I'd agree with you, but they're just not.

Dallas had some really poor stretches as well...especially at the end of 2nd and start of 3rd quarter - giving away free points which helped Lakers build that lead. Lakers gave away that lead in the next 4-5 minutes...which is the only time Lakers played terrible.

Lakers coasted for few minutes...but that's how they have always played. Last year, they would have gotten away with it, not this year.

I'm not saying Lakers aren't more talented than last year...it's just - opponents don't fear them. That makes a big difference.

I think the "fear" thing is greatly overrated. The Celtics sure as hell didn't fear the Lakers.

The Lakers coasted for far more than a few minutes. This is how we go from giving up 109 points to the Hornets in Game 1, and then giving up 78 points the next game. It's all about effort.

I know what this looks like when they're busting their asses and that game wasn't even close to being that.
Does anyone have stats on the Mavs outside shooting? It seemed to me like they hit an extreme high percentage of challenged jumpshots last game. Brewer, Barea, Terry, Peja, Nowitzki all shot 50% or better with almost all of their shots being challenged jumpers. I look for the laker runouts to improve and funnel the penetration to the big guys.
Dr. Buss showed up at practiced today and talked to each player individually. Very rare occurrence.
Originally posted by Arminini:
Does anyone have stats on the Mavs outside shooting? It seemed to me like they hit an extreme high percentage of challenged jumpshots last game. Brewer, Barea, Terry, Peja, Nowitzki all shot 50% or better with almost all of their shots being challenged jumpers. I look for the laker runouts to improve and funnel the penetration to the big guys.

It looked like it because it was Dirk being Dirk. No, they did shoot well but they also got some good looks from Kidd's managing and then some nice shots from Brewer and Barea.

Some quotes:

"It was a really bad ending...we should have won that game...to me that call was very questionable. At that particular moment even more. We didn't seem to get the same on the other end."
-- Gasol on the way the game ended and his play down the stretch.

NOTABLE: The Mavericks bench also had a 40-25 advantage and as a team, the Mavericks outshot the Lakers 49.4 percent to 42.9.

THE STAT: Two -- The number of points the two-time defending champs scored in the final 3:32 of play.

"We can say that we didn't play our best game, but we found a way to win. That's the bottom line this time of year ... the Lakers have been in this position a lot of times and they've found a way to win the series, so we haven't done anything yet."
-- Kidd on the magnitude of taking Game 1.
DAL will play quenched and Lakers go all out with a decisive win.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Arminini:
Does anyone have stats on the Mavs outside shooting? It seemed to me like they hit an extreme high percentage of challenged jumpshots last game. Brewer, Barea, Terry, Peja, Nowitzki all shot 50% or better with almost all of their shots being challenged jumpers. I look for the laker runouts to improve and funnel the penetration to the big guys.

It looked like it because it was Dirk being Dirk. No, they did shoot well but they also got some good looks from Kidd's managing and then some nice shots from Brewer and Barea.

Some quotes:

"It was a really bad ending...we should have won that game...to me that call was very questionable. At that particular moment even more. We didn't seem to get the same on the other end."
-- Gasol on the way the game ended and his play down the stretch.

NOTABLE: The Mavericks bench also had a 40-25 advantage and as a team, the Mavericks outshot the Lakers 49.4 percent to 42.9.

THE STAT: Two -- The number of points the two-time defending champs scored in the final 3:32 of play.

"We can say that we didn't play our best game, but we found a way to win. That's the bottom line this time of year ... the Lakers have been in this position a lot of times and they've found a way to win the series, so we haven't done anything yet."
-- Kidd on the magnitude of taking Game 1.

Kidd clearly ran through Pau's arms to knock the ball away. The contact with Kobe might have been incidental, but for some reason no one mentioned him running through Pau.

Ya Dirk being Dirk is fine, but the rest of the guys were hitting too.

Not sure how Kidd thinks Mav's didnt play well. They shot 50% and did a great job on the boards.

I think the Lakers handle them early, it gets close in the beginning of the 4th, but ultimately Lakers pull away with a comfortable win.
Originally posted by Arminini:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Arminini:
Does anyone have stats on the Mavs outside shooting? It seemed to me like they hit an extreme high percentage of challenged jumpshots last game. Brewer, Barea, Terry, Peja, Nowitzki all shot 50% or better with almost all of their shots being challenged jumpers. I look for the laker runouts to improve and funnel the penetration to the big guys.

It looked like it because it was Dirk being Dirk. No, they did shoot well but they also got some good looks from Kidd's managing and then some nice shots from Brewer and Barea.

Some quotes:

"It was a really bad ending...we should have won that game...to me that call was very questionable. At that particular moment even more. We didn't seem to get the same on the other end."
-- Gasol on the way the game ended and his play down the stretch.

NOTABLE: The Mavericks bench also had a 40-25 advantage and as a team, the Mavericks outshot the Lakers 49.4 percent to 42.9.

THE STAT: Two -- The number of points the two-time defending champs scored in the final 3:32 of play.

"We can say that we didn't play our best game, but we found a way to win. That's the bottom line this time of year ... the Lakers have been in this position a lot of times and they've found a way to win the series, so we haven't done anything yet."
-- Kidd on the magnitude of taking Game 1.

Kidd clearly ran through Pau's arms to knock the ball away. The contact with Kobe might have been incidental, but for some reason no one mentioned him running through Pau.

Ya Dirk being Dirk is fine, but the rest of the guys were hitting too.

Not sure how Kidd thinks Mav's didnt play well. They shot 50% and did a great job on the boards.



I think the Lakers handle them early, it gets close in the beginning of the 4th, but ultimately Lakers pull away with a comfortable win.

The rest of the guys had good looks though and that's what will change defensively for LA in game 2 but DAL has good shooters all around.

Artest and Lamar need to come through. Heard on the radio Lamar needs to find the inner kloe in him.

[ Edited by Joecool on May 4, 2011 at 09:07:15 ]
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Dr. Buss showed up at practiced today and talked to each player individually. Very rare occurrence.

Probably looking for leads to new young skanks.
GAME 2: Mavs 94 Lakers 91
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
GAME 2: Mavs 94 Lakers 91

Lakers 102
Mavs 89


Mavs won't come hard this game and will be satisfied with throwing up more jumpers over taking a beating and forcing it in the key. They will get on a cold streak, get into a big deficit, and mentally close up shop early into the 4th quarter.

If anything, they should send a message with some hard fouls and technicals or shoving back this game.
man as much i hate to say it.. mavs have never had that killer instinct.. i don't see them winning more than 2 games..

i was kinda surprised dirk hit those big shots at the end of game 1.. but that thing could have went either way.. the could have called a foul on j-kidd.. and the game would have ended differently
Originally posted by bayarealuv:
man as much i hate to say it.. mavs have never had that killer instinct.. i don't see them winning more than 2 games..

i was kinda surprised dirk hit those big shots at the end of game 1.. but that thing could have went either way.. the could have called a foul on j-kidd.. and the game would have ended differently

The shots Dirk hit was something I didn't expect but what I was impressed with was how strong and aggressive he was while taking those shots. He didn't not let Odom push him around and really dug his feet on that one drive-stop-pop in the key which could have easily been called a foul on Odom with all the bodying.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
GAME 2: Mavs 94 Lakers 91

WZ OS vets know what this means.
Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com