There are 74 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

General NBA Playoff Discussion

-I think the Lakers are built to win on the road in the playoffs, and that this is the best Laker team in the Kobe/Gasol era...health willing.

-The Bulls are legit. They're not "too young" to win the title, as many are saying. They're a great defensive team, and have a legit go-to guy that is very difficult to stop. But I think their outside shooting is going to make life difficult on them when playoff rotations are geared to bring out your greatest weakness.

-I've seen this movie with Boston before. I don't buy for a second that they're too old or that the Perkins deal killed their chemistry.

-Not to besmirch a legend, but I don't think Tim Duncan can hold the middle long enough to get to the Finals.

-...but I still think they'll beat OKC in Round 2.

-Mavs/Portland has upset written all over it. Portland plays like they think they can beat the Mavs.

-I think Denver could have made a run at a first round upset if they played anyone but OKC. Terrible matchup for them.

-As top heavy as they are, I don't see Miami getting by both Boston and Chicago. Props to them if they can.
The Lakers are going to beat the Heat. That's it, we can all go home now
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YungAce:
The Lakers are going to beat the Heat. That's it, we can all go home now

I would be ecstatic if he Spurs make it to the finals. Right now, there's two teams that could beat them, OKC and a fully healthy Lakers team.

Portland is my Dark Horse in the West. They gonna cause some trouble.

Boston had a tough road in the East last year and I don't think they can go through that again, especially without Perkins.

Mia vs CHI in the East Finals and it's a toss up because they can both lock it down on defense if they really want to.

ORL out in the second round. Their perimeter defense will hurt them against MIA or CHI.
Im rooting for the Thunder in these playoffs which means they will get swept in the first round
Da Bulls.
Random observation that I have no statistical backing for, it's just something I've noticed...

Teams rarely go past the point of what they'd consider a successful season. For example, I don't see the Knicks having any shot at beating the Celtics. Why? Aside from the Celtics being better...making the playoffs (and getting Melo) is a successful season for them. It's something to build off of. If the Bulls lose in the Finals, would they see this season as a failure? Hell no. They've made great strides.

I think there are only 3 teams where anything less than a title would be considered a failure. The Lakers, Celtics, & Heat. I think that's a key thing that separates them from OKC & Chicago, both of whom have very talented teams. I don't think that expectation level is going to exist for either OKC or Chicago until next year.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Random observation that I have no statistical backing for, it's just something I've noticed...

Teams rarely go past the point of what they'd consider a successful season. For example, I don't see the Knicks having any shot at beating the Celtics. Why? Aside from the Celtics being better...making the playoffs (and getting Melo) is a successful season for them. It's something to build off of. If the Bulls lose in the Finals, would they see this season as a failure? Hell no. They've made great strides.

I think there are only 3 teams where anything less than a title would be considered a failure. The Lakers, Celtics, & Heat. I think that's a key thing that separates them from OKC & Chicago, both of whom have very talented teams. I don't think that expectation level is going to exist for either OKC or Chicago until next year.

I agree with this post, especially about OKC and Chicago
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

I agree with this post, especially about OKC and Chicago

yeah, you see this all the time in all sports, a team that celebrates just a little too much after winning in the first round and advancing to the next round of the playoffs.

I would agree with CHI but OKC had a taste last year along with the Perkins addition, a player who does not see anything short of winning it all as a successful season. Even CHI, in some way, has the Jordan 6 championships as a goal to at least get one. As for NY, Melo and Amare never had the killer in them while on DEN or PHX.
Damn! I just noticed Lakers have the easiest road in the West.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Damn! I just noticed Lakers have the easiest road in the West.

Maybe for our first round opponent.. But if the Blazers beat Mavs... Which I think will happen.. The Blazers always give us trouble..
Originally posted by Joecool:

I would agree with CHI but OKC had a taste last year along with the Perkins addition, a player who does not see anything short of winning it all as a successful season. Even CHI, in some way, has the Jordan 6 championships as a goal to at least get one. As for NY, Melo and Amare never had the killer in them while on DEN or PHX.

Chicago's had more of a taste of the playoffs than OKC has. They took Boston to 7 games in '09 in arguably the best 1st Round series ever, and lost to the Cavs in 5 last year.
  • jrg
  • Veteran