There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

30 for 30: The Fab Five

Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
i respect what hill said, but i have no problem with what rose said when he was 17 coming out from the hood in detroit. rose has stated clearly that thats what him and the others thought when they were 17, i heard him saying it again on 1st take. i would clearly understand why kids age 17 coming out of the projects would think that way about duke at the time

people still think that of Duke

That's the problem with saying things like that. It only confirms what youngsters in the past, now, and in the future believe about people who want to get a better education and want a different path. It's a strong word to throw around and relating it to the Fab Five is only making it sound like he was so cool back then and this is how cool people think like.

I think Hill wasn't reacting to Rose more-so reacting to this general thinking from the street and the looking down upon education and doing things the right way or following rules. The entire premise of what's said to be an "Uncle Tom" and the actual background of that thinking towards those labeled as Uncle Toms. I took Hill's message as one to make note of the hard work it takes to get out of the street life over the false thinking of doing that makes one less black. He mentions a lot about the fact that he hasn't lost where he comes from and you can always hold onto that in the path to improving your environment.

Hill's message was to let people know that you can achieve success and still keep your roots.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,225
I didn't like the Fab 5 then, don't really like any of them now. F them and their documentary.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Has anyone read Wilbon's column on Rose vs Hill?

I have a link to it but it's mobile ESPN, hell of a read IMO

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=6227464&top

here's the regular espn link

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=6227464
Duke and Michigan play on Sunday
LOL anyone catch Bobby Hurley's reaction to this doocumentary?

His Dove commercial.

AWESOME
  • Amir
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,877
Just watched this. Great as usual.

I forgot how ridiculously athletic C-Webb was.
Originally posted by TX9R:
I didn't like the Fab 5 then, don't really like any of them now. F them and their documentary.

Tell us how you really feel
  • Amir
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,877
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Just started watching it. Good or bad, I think that Michael Jordan and the Fab 5 shaped basketball in the last 20 years more than any other two entities.

I'd also include AI into that.
Originally posted by Amir_Mamu:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Just started watching it. Good or bad, I think that Michael Jordan and the Fab 5 shaped basketball in the last 20 years more than any other two entities.

I'd also include AI into that.

It can be argued that all three of those entities had negative impacts as well.
Two-time losers.
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by Amir_Mamu:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Just started watching it. Good or bad, I think that Michael Jordan and the Fab 5 shaped basketball in the last 20 years more than any other two entities.

I'd also include AI into that.

It can be argued that all three of those entities had negative impacts as well.

Most definitely, but the term "influential" has no inherent positive/negative meaning. Good or bad, all three left a significant mark.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by Amir_Mamu:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Just started watching it. Good or bad, I think that Michael Jordan and the Fab 5 shaped basketball in the last 20 years more than any other two entities.

I'd also include AI into that.

It can be argued that all three of those entities had negative impacts as well.

Most definitely, but the term "influential" has no inherent positive/negative meaning. Good or bad, all three left a significant mark.

I was under the influence and left a significant mark in my undies, and I'd say it was inherently negative and demeaning.
After watching The Fab Five and HBO's documentary on UNLV, I've come to respect Duke.

I don't get why everybody hates Duke. They built the program the right way, and built a long lasting and dominant program. Not a flash in the pan success built on cheating like UNLV and Michigan.

Chris Webber is such a punk, I don't know how anyone could like that Michigan program. All I could think is despite all their talent, they couldn't overcome karma. Tark the Shark is such a fraud, I don't know how anyone could like him. Duke is no where near a team I'd root for, but I definitely have tons of respect for Coach K. He beat teams with paid players, thats impressive.

[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Mar 21, 2011 at 23:16:16 ]
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I don't get why everybody hates Duke.


You explained it in your next sentence...

They built the program the right way, and built a long lasting and dominant program.
It's lame, but that's how it goes.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
After watching The Fab Five and HBO's documentary on UNLV, I've come to respect Duke.

I don't get why everybody hates Duke. They built the program the right way, and built a long lasting and dominant program. Not a flash in the pan success built on cheating like UNLV and Michigan.

Chris Webber is such a punk, I don't know how anyone could like that Michigan program. All I could think is despite all their talent, they couldn't overcome karma. Tark the Shark is such a fraud, I don't know how anyone could like him. Duke is no where near a team I'd root for, but I definitely have tons of respect for Coach K. He beat teams with paid players, thats impressive.

they flop